Sign in with
Your question

How do I replace 2 512 mg with 2 single GB if the computer only has two spots fo

Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2012 9:46:48 AM

How do I replace 2 512 mg with 2 single 1 GB on an HP computer if there are only two spaces for the drives? If I take out the 512's and put in the 2 1 GB's how will the computer know what is on it? Do I have to first get a backup
external drive for everything? If so, what kind does all the programs etc.?
Thanks and Help?
CB
a c 555 V Motherboard
November 2, 2012 9:50:29 AM

Are they in RAID? How many SATA ports does the board have?
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2012 10:11:28 AM

We are talking about RAM not HDD's correct? Just remove the 512 sticks and install the 1 GB chips the computer will know.
Related resources
November 2, 2012 10:25:59 AM

Yes if were talking about upgrading the memory, then it is best to buy two 1 Gb sticks at the same time as a matching pair to put into the two memory slots of the board.
First of all though please do a check of how much maximum memory the board will support with each stick size inserted into each memory slot = total memory population I mean it would be a waste if the board cannot read 2gb say of memory and you bought 2 gb of new memory to fit into the board. It depends on how old the board is older ones have less compatibility for larger memory stick sizes so make sure you check before you buy new memory.
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2012 10:32:25 AM

Ram is counted in MB and GB not mg (milligrams) but if it was in mg you do not have very much ram
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2012 10:44:08 AM

MSCB said:
How do I replace 2 512 mg with 2 single 1 GB on an HP computer if there are only two spaces for the drives? If I take out the 512's and put in the 2 1 GB's how will the computer know what is on it? Do I have to first get a backup
external drive for everything? If so, what kind does all the programs etc.?
Thanks and Help?
CB

Are you talking about upgrading your memory, or your hard drives? There is nothing stored in memory on your PC permanently on your computer. Every time you shut off your computer, all that has been stored into memory is lost. When you reboot, what is needed is called on from the hard drive(s), and moved back into memory. So if you are replacing your memory sticks, you simply pull out the old and snap in the new, the computer will recognize the new memory on boot up, and you are set to go, that is all there is to that.

If you are replacing the hard drives, this indeed is much more difficult and you do need to let us know in detail what you have, and what you wish to end up with.
!