PC will not boot - 4 Beeps

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi All,

I originally posted in this thread,

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352105-10-sudden-shutdown-trouble-shooting

as my PC was having issues where all of a sudden it would just power off. I have only just installed a new HDD, RAM, Graphics card, and most importantly a brand new PSU. I thought maybe the PSU was causing these shut downs, (see other thread), so I decided to install my old PSU and test that.

Since installing my old PSU, the PC will no longer boot. It starts up, the fan on the motherboard goes to 100%, and then the board beeps 4 times, and then just sits there doing nothing.

I removed that PSU, and reinstalled the new one again. The same thing happens. I even tried starting with nothing plugged in other than fans and motherboard.

I am on an American Megatrends bios, and I read that the 4 beeps means the timings are wrong? And I need to replace the battery?

Could this be what was causing the shut downs in the first place? I really need help as my pc is now dead and I have no idea what to do. My specs are below:

Asus P5QC motherboard
Intel E8500 @ 3.16ghz
8GB DDR3 1333mhz
AMD 5870 1GB
Win 7 Ultimate

PSU: Powercool 700GT 80+

http://www.cclonline.com/product/5 [...] y/PSU0219/

If anyone could help I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks mate! That helped more than you can know, I looked around for that error code and everything kept saying motherboard. I had no idea it could be the GPU.

I took it out, checked it properly, unplugged it, plugged it back in, reinserted it, and voila, it started up!

The 5870 is second hand which has had me a little worried, but it does seem pretty legit.

So now I have solved the pc not starting issue, and I have the old PSU installed, it's time to see if I can fix the random pc shut down issue.

Thanks a lot mate!

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi mate,

Before the above issue of PC not starting, the reason I was removing my new PSU was to install my old one and see if that stopped the problem. Before doing so, I checked all voltages and temperatures, under load.

Everything seemed ok, CPU went to about 74 degrees after being at 100% load for 5 minutes non stop, all voltages were ok.

Now that the pc is starting, I have my old PSU installed and will monitor the pc to see if it shuts down again. If it does not, I know my new PSU is a POS and will get it replaced.

Thanks for all your help.