Sign in with
Your question

2x Different 6870 Crossfire?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2011 9:43:24 PM

Hi, new to the forums, and have used the search function to the best of my ability to find the answers to this, but can't quite get what I want. Thanks in advance for the help!

I currently have a 750W modular powersupply
p8p67 pro Rev 3.0 motherboard. First pcie slot is x16, next would be x8

Running XFX radeon 6870 card (XFX HD-687A-ZNFC)

I am getting idle temp of 48-51c after upping the fan speed with manual, and topping out at 75c under load.

I am interested in Crossfiring this with the 2 fan model with the same base clock speeds

XFX Radeon 6870 XFX HD-687A-ZDFC.

Will this setup work since they are two different cards?
Is my power supply strong enough?
I have never Crossfired before, so will one card be a "main card"? Should I use the dual fan model as my "main card" so I can have lower idleing temps?
Will this reduce stress on each card and ultimately give me lower temps unless both are under full load? Or will both cards just be under full load and produce better frames and image? If there is any additional information I am not thinking of in regards to this, please let me know. I am a bit of a tech-beginner, and these are the only immediate questions I could think of.

More about : 6870 crossfire

a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 10:57:29 PM

yer on the right track man.......

yes that card will work......

psu prolly strong enough.....cant tell for sure without more input.....

generally the stronger cooling of the two should be used as your primary card

good luck
m
l
August 7, 2011 11:08:45 PM

Thanks for the info!

As for the PSU, I am using the corsair HX 750 watt.
It is running:
i5-2500k
4 case fanes
corsair h50 cooler
currently 1-6870
1 ssd
1HDD
and p8p67 pro mobo.

Other searches seem to say the 750 is fine. (albeit maybe on the lower end of fine?)

And one final thought, is the primary card indentified as the card in my first pcie slot? (x16) ?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2011 12:00:27 AM

You have plenty of power, no worries.
m
l
August 8, 2011 9:48:48 PM

Thanks, going to give that crossfire setup a go, and hopefully no hitches along the way.
m
l
!