Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU multiplier goes WAY HIGH

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2012 11:50:00 AM

i've noticed some serious slowdown in my system lately and i checked CoreTemp for overheating...what i found instead was that my CPU multiplier goes WAY above the factory limit.

im using an Intel T6500 @ 2.1GHz. multiplier goes from 6.0 to 10.5 but i've seen it go x13! if it actually made my computer run faster it'd be fine but it LAGS LIKE HELL!!!

possible causes:
1) i recently started using ThrottleStop to undervolt my CPU.

NORMAL Operation...I'm just surfing the web + streaming some stuff.

when the lag happens. i haven't got the time to video it yet to show just how laggy it gets but just as an example...imagine running 2-3 HD videos at the same time.
the frame rate drops to something like 10+ FPS from what i feel.

More about : cpu multiplier high

January 8, 2012 11:53:04 AM

just to make it easier...my computer specs

ASUS K50IN
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core2Duo T6500 @ 2.1GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia G102M (running on driver v285.62)
nVidia chipset apparently...mFCPGA-478 (from CoreTemp)
---also, i'm using nVidia chipset drivers v15.56
Score
January 8, 2012 11:56:32 AM

My CPU bounces the multiplier up too, last time I remember was 11. I don't know why your computer would be slower with a higher multiplier though.
Score
Related resources
January 8, 2012 12:07:01 PM

that's the thing...the MAXIMUM multiplier given by Intel is 10.5....somehow the CPU is pushing this to 12-13x and it's lagging my computer noticeably.
Score
January 8, 2012 1:02:51 PM

by how much because maybe one of the cores arnt being used effectively or might not be working at all?
Score
January 8, 2012 1:15:36 PM

teleaddicted said:
by how much because maybe one of the cores arnt being used effectively or might not be working at all?

sorry, i dun get your point that well..."by how much"?

basically my laptop is lagging to the point where even typing text has noticeable lag of about half a sec between the key and the text.
from what i see on ThrottleStop, Core0 is running at 80% and Core1 at 50% when the lag happens. both are running...

from what i know, the multiplier going up should improve performance, not throw it down the drain. the T6500 is rated to go up to 10.5x by Intel but mine are going 12...13.5 even.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 8:16:07 PM

Can you post a screen shot of ThrottleStop showing the multiplier? Your CPU is either being throttled internally or it has some program running in the background sucking up all of your CPU cycles. Have a look in the Task Manager.

The multiplier you are reporting is physically impossible for that CPU so don't believe what Core Temp is telling you.

Many Asus laptops have a problem with chipset clock modulation. Run a ThrottleStop log file and make sure both types of clock modulation are always at 100.0%. Anything less is a sign of throttling.
Score
January 9, 2012 5:03:29 AM

i've already checked the ThrottleStop for that. it shows constant 100% on both cores. and FID is set to 10.5. only coretemp is detecting the problem.

taskmanager also doesnt seem to find the cause. it shows little or low activity even though my CPU meter is showing 80%. i've even reformatted my laptop to try and solve this but to no avail.

right now im most worried that my hardware is faulty because the multiplier is impossible but it's happening. and it's lagging my computer like dragging a stick through mud.even typing this is a chore.

*edit*

OP now shows the ThrottleStop and CoreTemp side by side comparison. TS say's nothing's wrong. CoreTemp says WTF?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 1:54:59 PM

Core Temp is not reporting your multiplier correctly. You can confirm this with CPU-Z.

Can you post a screen shot of the Task Manager and ThrottleStop at the same time? ThrotleStop reports the percent of time the CPU is in the C0 state. This is not the same as CPU Load as reported by the task manager. If CPU Load is normal then that means there is something wrong, possibly with your bios, or with Windows because the CPU is not being allowed to use the deeper sleep states. When this happens you get a high core temperature at idle because the CPU spends all of its idle time in C0 instead of one of the deeper sleep states like C1 or C3.

Edit: The system timers that Core Temp uses to determine the real time multiplier might be corrupted by the side bar gadget you are using. These monitoring timers are not a protected resource by Intel like they should be so one bad program can interfere with other monitoring programs. ThrottleStop switched to a different set of timers to try and avoid this problem.

http://ark.intel.com/products/39311/Intel-Core2-Duo-Pro...(2M-Cache-2_10-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

The Intel specs for your CPU show a maximum multiplier of 10.5. It is not physically possible for the multiplier to go any higher. Intel makes sure of that. Any software that tells you differently is wrong. The TJMax value software should use is 105C for your CPU. This needs to be set correctly so your reported temperatures are correct. Core Temp is using 90 so you need to switch that. ThrottleStop appears to be using the correct 105C value. You can check the ThrottleStop.INI file if you want to make sure.
Score
January 10, 2012 2:19:19 AM

when this happens again i'll try to get a full screen of taskman and the other monitors i got together.

coretemp is using -15 from throttlestop...i think i read somewhere about different probe locations or something.

and yes, my multi should go up to 10.5 only....when it goes over that value it causes this monster lag :( 
Score
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2012 3:42:32 AM

Reported Core Temperature = TJMax - DTS Sensor Value

All software is reading the same Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS). The problem is that when a program assumes the wrong value for TJMax, it will end up reporting the wrong core temperature. ThrottleStop uses the Intel recommended 105C TJMax value while Core Temp is using 90C. Hopefully you can look at the above formula and see that this causes Core Temp to report your core temperature 15C lower than it really is. As soon as you correct this problem in Core Temp, both programs will report the same core temperature. You can try downloading Core Temp 1.0 to see if this has been corrected or you can go into Options - Adjust Offset and fix this yourself by using an offset of 15.

When your multiplier is being reported higher than 10.5, it is not being reported correctly. The monster lag and Core Temp reporting the wrong multiplier is probably a coincidence. Intel designed these CPUs so it is physically impossible for the multiplier to go any higher than the default value.

What CPU Usage in percent does Task Manager show at idle?

Here is what Task Manager should look like if Windows isn't over loaded with junk.

Core Temp uses the same method as the Task Manager to report the CPU Usage or CPU Load and your screen shot above is showing 100% on both cores. There is definitely something running on your computer that is fully loading your CPU. No wonder it lags. Open up Task Manager and find out what program is doing that and fix the problem. Your CPU is also over heating and triggering thermal throttling. You need to clean the heatsink and fan to improve cooling.
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 4:27:39 AM

Use a different software such as hw monitor, coretemp sometimes gives false results.
Score
January 10, 2012 8:36:47 AM

unclewebb said:
Reported Core Temperature = TJMax - DTS Sensor Value

All software is reading the same Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS). The problem is that when a program assumes the wrong value for TJMax, it will end up reporting the wrong core temperature. ThrottleStop uses the Intel recommended 105C TJMax value while Core Temp is using 90C. Hopefully you can look at the above formula and see that this causes Core Temp to report your core temperature 15C lower than it really is. As soon as you correct this problem in Core Temp, both programs will report the same core temperature. You can try downloading Core Temp 1.0 to see if this has been corrected or you can go into Options - Adjust Offset and fix this yourself by using an offset of 15.

When your multiplier is being reported higher than 10.5, it is not being reported correctly. The monster lag and Core Temp reporting the wrong multiplier is probably a coincidence. Intel designed these CPUs so it is physically impossible for the multiplier to go any higher than the default value.

What CPU Usage in percent does Task Manager show at idle?

Here is what Task Manager should look like if Windows isn't over loaded with junk.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2376/taskmanagern.png

Core Temp uses the same method as the Task Manager to report the CPU Usage or CPU Load and your screen shot above is showing 100% on both cores. There is definitely something running on your computer that is fully loading your CPU. No wonder it lags. Open up Task Manager and find out what program is doing that and fix the problem. Your CPU is also over heating and triggering thermal throttling. You need to clean the heatsink and fan to improve cooling.

i edited the opening post to show Taskmanager as well.
the 2nd photo i put up was at 100% because i was using the "More Data" option in TS i think...the problem i have is that the CPU load is high, but no obvious culprits.

task manager is showing the highest CPU usage among my processes and none is going double digits even though CPU load is at 50%

my temps are considered "normal" cos the ambient is usually 27 C~30 C and i'm running a laptop. never really changed much since i bought it.
ps: i recently cleaned my vents and fans in my laptop.

also....and i'm hoping this isnt the case...what if my hardware is damaged? the lag only happens when the multiplier goes crazy, even when my laptop is on idle.
leave it turned on long enough (~5hours) and the CPU goes crazy.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 10, 2012 4:14:51 PM

You have to check off "Show processes from all users" in Task Manager so it shows everything running on your PC. Something is fully loading 1 core of your CPU and when you try to use your laptop, then both cores become fully loaded, your CPU or GPU over heats and then your laptop starts to throttle and lag.

It could be a virus or spyware or a root kit or some other badly behaved program. Do some research and you will find that many Asus laptops have premature throttling issues. The G53 and G73 series are a couple of examples that come to mind so I wouldn't be surprised if the K50 series also has a few unresolved problems. The cooling system in far too many laptops is completely inadequate. Many laptops need to be thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis inside to prevent the problems you are having and they need to have the thermal paste on the CPU and or GPU replaced because many factories do such a poor job applying this stuff.

For your problem, you don't need to use the More Data option in ThrottleStop but if you want to you can. It was designed to be able to provide a lot of high quality data without significantly loading the CPU.

Run ThrottleStop with the log file option checked and turn off Core Temp. Core Temp might be reporting a crazy multiplier but that is a Core Temp bug and does not show that your CPU is damaged. It appears to be running just fine but you need to find and turn off the application that is running in the background that is sucking up all your CPU cycles and overheating your CPU.
January 11, 2012 6:20:05 AM

nice catch! i'd completely forgotten about hidden and system processes @_@ messed up my com killing one to many processes before, so i keep them hidden nowadays...heh.

i managed to pin one problem down so far. apparently wmpnetwork.exe was eating up 50% of my CPU cycles...and my AV scanner was trying to keep up, causing the whole thing to lag. i killed wmpnetwork and the lag disappeared.

i never use WMP anyway so i probably gonna find a way to uninstall it from my laptop if the problem persists. MPC-HC + CCCP = WIN :D 

trying to figure out why WMP is still doing network activity when i've already set media sharing to OFF....probably need to tighten up my firewall settings to stop this happening again.... :( 

*edit*
oh yea, i ruled out temps cos my laptop usually runs at 70+ under load. been that way for 2 years with no problems. i clean the casing + fan whenever i see a spike in temps so it's not a problem. now i undervolt so it doesnt go over 75C :) 
Score
January 11, 2012 4:00:51 PM

Best answer selected by alexandergc.
Score
!