Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help me upgrade my home network.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 20, 2011 8:54:21 PM

I have some knowledge in computers but wireless networking is not my strong point.
A year or two ago my dad bought a Netgear WNR834B N wireless router http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

This was supposed to upgrade our current Linksys WRT54G v8 router http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... My dad could never figure it out, so in the attic it sat until now.

I have inconsistent internet connection in my room especially when my brother plays an online game similar to world of warcraft or I play xbox live.

I tried signing into my router multiple times before so I could change the NAT settings of moderate to open. By typing in the IP address into the address bar it would load half the graphics but would never fully load. Now it won't load at all.

My question is, what would be the best way to set these various things up so that I can connect upstairs in my room consistently?
Should I setup the N router specifically for myself and not have any other traffic on it? I heard that mixing old computers with N network capable, newer computers, slows it down to G. Can/should I connect the N router into the G router?

None of the computers in my house have a wired connection. I could borrow my brothers laptop though if I really need to set it up wired.

Thanks in advance any advice would be very much appreciated.

More about : upgrade home network

Best solution

February 20, 2011 9:37:20 PM

you should use a wired connection when configuring a router.

you said you could not get the Netgear to work, have you try to see if MAC Address cloning is being used on the Linksys? Some ISPs are looking for a certain MAC address which is registered with the account.

the ideal case would be the Netgear as the main router and the Linksys as a Bridge Repeater.

Both of your routers can be upgraded with DD-WRT firmware to work as a Bridge Repeater.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
February 20, 2011 10:12:18 PM

Emerald said:
you should use a wired connection when configuring a router.

you said you could not get the Netgear to work, have you try to see if MAC Address cloning is being used on the Linksys? Some ISPs are looking for a certain MAC address which is registered with the account.

the ideal case would be the Netgear as the main router and the Linksys as a Bridge Repeater.

Both of your routers can be upgraded with DD-WRT firmware to work as a Bridge Repeater.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Does the netgear N router need to be connected to the internet while I am configuring it? Or can I plug it into my computer and configure it then, unplug it, bring it downstairs and have it work as the router from there.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2011 10:14:36 PM

the router can be configured without being connected to the modem.

are you using DSL or Cable?
m
l
February 20, 2011 10:22:11 PM

Emerald said:
the router can be configured without being connected to the modem.

are you using DSL or Cable?

Almost positive it's cable. I just tried disconnecting from my wireless internet connection and plugging in the new router into my computer and it said that the router didn't have internet connection so it couldn't install.
m
l
February 20, 2011 10:41:00 PM

Try this

connect your computer via cable to the Netgear's one of the four LAN ports, log in, and setup the wireless security. Use a SSID different than the Linksys, WAP2 mode and password. Also set the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1

Then take your Netgear downstairs and connect its WAN/Internet port to one of the Linksys' LAN port. Test if the signal is strong and you can connect to the netgear from your room.

m
l
February 20, 2011 10:56:40 PM

Emerald said:
Try this

connect your computer via cable to the Netgear's one of the four LAN ports, log in, and setup the wireless security. Use a SSID different than the Linksys, WAP2 mode and password. Also set the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1

Then take your Netgear downstairs and connect its WAN/Internet port to one of the Linksys' LAN port. Test if the signal is strong and you can connect to the netgear from your room.

I can't sign into the netgear using 192.168.1.1 only into the linksys. Shouldn't the drivers on the CD be installed first?
m
l
February 20, 2011 11:07:57 PM

try using 192.168.2.1 for the Netgear

no drivers needed. it is a setup wizard software on the CD
m
l
February 20, 2011 11:19:40 PM

Emerald said:
try using 192.168.2.1 for the Netgear

no drivers needed. it is a setup wizard software on the CD

I tried 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.2 and neither worked. should I just go use the old computer downstairs and use the setup CD? if so should the older router be pluged in during the setup or should it go modem>linksys>and netgear plugged into a lan port on the linksys?
m
l
February 20, 2011 11:38:07 PM

disconnect the Netgear from anything but power.

on the back of the netgear you should see a reset button which you need to hold in for 30+ sec to reset the router to manufacturer default.

connect the netgear's LAN port via network cable to your computer. make sure nothing else is connected but your computer.

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

did you see an IP next to the gateway? This is your netgear's IP to help you log in.

set up your netgear, and connect it modem>linksys>and netgear plugged into a lan port on the linksys
m
l
February 21, 2011 12:12:47 AM

Emerald said:
disconnect the Netgear from anything but power.

on the back of the netgear you should see a reset button which you need to hold in for 30+ sec to reset the router to manufacturer default.

connect the netgear's LAN port via network cable to your computer. make sure nothing else is connected but your computer.

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

did you see an IP next to the gateway? This is your netgear's IP to help you log in.

set up your netgear, and connect it modem>linksys>and netgear plugged into a lan port on the linksys

Ok so I have set up my netgear N router as my main router successfully now following the CD and with my bro's laptop. I typed in 10.0.0.1 as the gateway and it asked for my username and password I tried Admin as both and it didn't work. What now?

Also I didn't use the router's reset button because I just set it up using the default settings so it seemed redundant.
m
l
February 21, 2011 12:40:16 AM

Emerald said:
When prompted, enter admin for the router user name and password for the router password, both in lower case letters.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wireless_router_setupma...

Thanks, ok so the next thing I should do is make the Linksys into a wireless repeater? My computer is getting 4/5 bars but my xbox is only getting 2/4 bars even though it is only a few feet farther. Would it be a performance increase if I were to have the linksys setup as a wireless repeater even though it is G and connect my computer and/or xbox to it either wired or wirelesly?
m
l
February 21, 2011 1:22:47 AM

just connect the Linksys WAN/Internet port to one of the four LAN ports of the Netgear and have the XBox connect to the Linksys.
m
l
February 21, 2011 1:37:03 AM

Emerald said:
just connect the Linksys WAN/Internet port to one of the four LAN ports of the Netgear and have the XBox connect to the Linksys.

I can't do that because the router is down stairs. I can't connect with wire unless I have the linksys upstairs in my room connected wirelessly to the netgear downstairs.
m
l
February 21, 2011 11:21:21 AM

Yes I would convert the Linksys using he DD-WRT firmware.

you will need to download all software and instructions to your computer since you might not be able to connect to the internet and the Linksys during setup/configuration at the same time.
m
l
March 13, 2011 7:15:12 AM

Best answer selected by monkeymonk.
m
l
!