how do I copy photos from hard drive to CD or DVD disk?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 9, 2005 3:06:02 PM

I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
both drives.

What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?

All replies, opinions, instructions, etc. welcomed!

Aaron
April 9, 2005 3:28:09 PM

With Windows XP you can just drag and drop them onto the cd burner with
a blank disk in it. The wizard should pop up and guide you from there.
Other versions of Windows require burning software - I'ved used
CDBurnerXP Pro in the past with good results - it's freeware.

ECM
April 9, 2005 6:17:07 PM

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
> them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
> both drives.
>
> What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?
>
> All replies, opinions, instructions, etc. welcomed!
>
> Aaron

You copy them just as you would any files. It makes no difference thta they are photo files. The
details of the procedure depend on the software you have for writing to a CD or DVD. (512 MB will
fit comfortably on a CD>)
April 10, 2005 12:40:47 AM

Hi ECM: thank's for your reply! I did use Windows XP Wizard and it
worked. However, I do have an additional question. When using the
Wizard, a choice was provided asking it I wished to use HIGH MAT?
What is HIGH MAT? best, Aaron
April 10, 2005 2:01:34 AM

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
> them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
> both drives.
>
> What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?
As others have said, XP has built-in capacity to burn Cds. However, I
became used to Easy CD Creator (which will also burn DVDs), so that is what
I use.

Jim
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 2:01:35 AM

The version of cd burner xp pro I tried proved impossible to remove from xp.
Apart from that seemed to work ok.
Burn4free is no frill but does almost everything (and is free). Better than
native xp which works but is very basic.
Dave Cohen

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
>> them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
>> both drives.
>>
>> What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?
> As others have said, XP has built-in capacity to burn Cds. However, I
> became used to Easy CD Creator (which will also burn DVDs), so that is
> what
> I use.
>
> Jim

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 6:07:18 AM

Hi, Aaron

Photo2DVD Studio can help you. It allows you to copy your photos from
HD to DVD directly, complete with background music, transition effects.
It is very easy to use, and free for trial at
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 8:10:29 AM

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
: I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
: them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
: both drives.

: What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?

: All replies, opinions, instructions, etc. welcomed!

As others have said, you can use the same program that you normally use to
burn a CD. As far as the computer or CD burner is concerned, an image file
(JPG, TIF, RAW, etc) is handled the same as a text file or any other
"data" file. It is only when you go to display or manipulate this image or
any data associated with it (EXIF) that the file type comes into effect.
So just go ahead and use your normal CD recorder program. If given the
choice, choose a "Data disk" or "file storage" (as opposed to "music
disk"). Then just drag and drop the "files" (your JPG images) into the
file list and off you go.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 11:23:47 AM

In article <1113069962.378309.28800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

> I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
> them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
> both drives.
>
> What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?
>
> All replies, opinions, instructions, etc. welcomed!

Depends on which OS and optical disc burning software you have. On Mac
OS X, I just drag the files to a CD-R and DVD-R disc and click the burn
button next to the optical disk in the Finder window. That's it.
April 10, 2005 12:05:30 PM

Actually, I'm still a Win2000 kind of guy, I've never needed to
upgade..... My wife has a laptop that uses WinXP Pro, so I had to
figure out the CD burning thing for her a couple of years ago. I've
never seen that "HIGH MAT" thing... a quick Google gave me these links
-

http://www.microsoftusernetwork.com/zarax/multimedia/hi...
http://www.highmat.com/

It looks like a special Microsoft-controlled format for music, video
and photo CD's - just what the world needed.... ;-)

ECM
April 10, 2005 3:09:29 PM

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> Hi ECM: thank's for your reply! I did use Windows XP Wizard and it
> worked. However, I do have an additional question. When using the
> Wizard, a choice was provided asking it I wished to use HIGH MAT?
> What is HIGH MAT? best, Aaron

It is a new CD format that is only used by a few players. As I recall, there is a place in the
pop-up box that asks if you want to use the feature, which connects you to more information about
High Mat. Otherwise, search for info on google or another search engine.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:26:53 PM

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:

> I have approx 512 mb of JPEG photos on my hard drive & desire to copy
> them onto either a Compact Disk or a DVD Disk. I can burn disks on
> both drives.
>
> What is the program or procedure that will enable me to do this?
>
> All replies, opinions, instructions, etc. welcomed!
>
> Aaron

If all you want to do is save them on the CD, you may be able to just
drag and drop using Windows Explorer. It depends a bit on which
operating system, and the driver on your particular burner drive.
However, Roxio has a relatively cheap CD/DVD creator that makes process
much easier.

Most burner drives include some sort of software for this. In fact,
some drives include the Roxio software as part of the software they
include. Nero is another popular program.
!