Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can a 2011 socket be replaced with an 1156 socket WITHOUT replacing the mobo?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 8, 2012 2:55:48 PM

Hello,
plannin on buildin a high-end system, i currently have an i5 650 running on an 1156 and im wondering if i can somehow switch this socket with the 2011 on the new mobo so i can still use my i5. dont really wanna pay thousand bucks for cpu alone
a c 120 à CPUs
January 8, 2012 2:57:56 PM

Nope! impossible
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:03:22 PM

Just shave a few pins off your LGA 2011 to make it a LGA 1156. ;) 

Seriously, don't try it, I doubt it will fit. So use sand...

Err... just listen to davcon.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 79 à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:13:55 PM

just bumped into a rumour from june (obviously wrong), that 1366 and 2011 would be cross compatible, very odd thing to start a rumour about.
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:15:10 PM

you can't 'swap' sockets. the cpu platforms are totally different.
you don't have to pay $1000 for a cpu.. you could get a core i7 3820 when it comes out. or a 3930k. those two cost way less than a thousand bucks.
m
0
l
January 8, 2012 10:49:46 PM

3930 is a possibility but still over price for what im looking for. was hopin for closer to 400 or lower if i couldnt salvage the CPU but thanks to intel's power streak with socket changing, dont want it outdated in a year or 2
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 8, 2012 11:03:44 PM

It is not possible, please do not even try it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 11:43:45 PM

13thmonkey said:
just bumped into a rumour from june (obviously wrong), that 1366 and 2011 would be cross compatible, very odd thing to start a rumour about.


There is a rumour (I should know, I'm starting it) that you can replace a 1366 CPU with a Danish pastry and get over 4x the performance! :whistle: 
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
January 9, 2012 2:05:21 AM

charris25 said:
3930 is a possibility but still over price for what im looking for. was hopin for closer to 400 or lower if i couldnt salvage the CPU but thanks to intel's power streak with socket changing, dont want it outdated in a year or 2

core i7 3820 (4 core with HT) seems to be closer to your budget. it seems to actually cheaper than core i7 2600. but the x79 motherboards are costly (you still get to use the extra pcie 3.0 lanes).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5276/intel-core-i7-3820-r...
it is partially unlocked and you can overclock it by changing bclk frequencies (as well as limited multiplier oc).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 2:14:01 AM

Wouldn't an i7-2600k be a better match for you?
m
0
l
January 9, 2012 2:20:21 AM

Yes, if you are coming from an 1156 i5, the 2600K would be a nice jump in performance. I recommend a decent ASUS or Gigabyte Z68 or P67 motherboard.
m
0
l
January 16, 2012 2:38:09 AM

3820 looks pretty decent. main reason im asking is im aiming for the asus p9x79 pro but presently limited in available processors. also intel seems to be on a socket rampage lately so im trying to get the latest before something new gets thrown on the shelf
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 3:05:11 AM

i wouldn't jump on the x79 platform just yet. x79 is very new and intel still has problems it needs to fix. ivb could come out in april.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x79-ud3-p9x79-pro-d...
then there is the vt-d bug that was 'fixed' recently.
and exploding motherboards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Gigabyte-MOSFET-G1.Ass...
iirc it got fixed by disabling oc. looks like the problem was in the bios.
anyway, imo lga 1156 is strong enough to go on till haswell comes out.
you can't get 'the latest', your stuff becomes old the moment you buy it. there is always something new in the future. heck, according to the rumors, sb-e will be replaced by ivy bridge-e by the end of the year.
yet another review of 3820:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/intel-core...
chipsets:
for mainstream sandy bridge core i3/5/7 2xxx cpus (lga 1155)- h6x, p67, z68 (and ivb chipsets, according to leaks and rumors. untested.)
sb-e core i7 3xxx (lga 2011) - x79
ivy bridge core i3/5/7 (lga 1155)- h7x, z7x (and h6x, p67, z68 after bios update. still untested.)
ivb-e (lga 2011...?)- x79...?(according to the rumors. untested and unsure.)
m
0
l
a c 126 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 3:50:07 AM

de5_Roy said:
i wouldn't jump on the x79 platform just yet. x79 is very new and intel still has problems it needs to fix. ivb could come out in april.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x79-ud3-p9x79-pro-d...
then there is the vt-d bug that was 'fixed' recently.
and exploding motherboards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Gigabyte-MOSFET-G1.Ass...
iirc it got fixed by disabling oc. looks like the problem was in the bios.
anyway, imo lga 1156 is strong enough to go on till haswell comes out.
you can't get 'the latest', your stuff becomes old the moment you buy it. there is always something new in the future. heck, according to the rumors, sb-e will be replaced by ivy bridge-e by the end of the year.
yet another review of 3820:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/intel-core...
chipsets:
for mainstream sandy bridge core i3/5/7 2xxx cpus (lga 1155)- h6x, p67, z68 (and ivb chipsets, according to leaks and rumors. untested.)
sb-e core i7 3xxx (lga 2011) - x79
ivy bridge core i3/5/7 (lga 1155)- h7x, z7x (and h6x, p67, z68 after bios update. still untested.)
ivb-e (lga 2011...?)- x79...?(according to the rumors. untested and unsure.)


It will. Asus already has BIOS updates for their H67/P67/Z68 that state "Support for 22nm CPUs". Not sure they need to lie about it. And thats for the B3 and Gen 3 (PCIe 3.0 ones).

But if Intel could make a more universal socket, one that could detect the CPU and activate only the needed pins that would be interesting. Of course they could do like they did with the 478 and make a 1156 -> 2011 adapter (not sure if many remmeber the 478 -> 479m or the 478 -> 775 socket adapters).
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 4:36:52 AM

jimmysmitty said:
It will. Asus already has BIOS updates for their H67/P67/Z68 that state "Support for 22nm CPUs". Not sure they need to lie about it. And thats for the B3 and Gen 3 (PCIe 3.0 ones).

But if Intel could make a more universal socket, one that could detect the CPU and activate only the needed pins that would be interesting. Of course they could do like they did with the 478 and make a 1156 -> 2011 adapter (not sure if many remmeber the 478 -> 479m or the 478 -> 775 socket adapters).

cool! hopefully other motherboard manufacturers will also follow asus' way, considering ivb's support on existing chipsets depends so much on the mobo manufacturers.
m
0
l
!