Emachine wont boot....

pbgough

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I hit F11 to start recovery and get "Missing OS". I can put the emaichines restore cd in and get the same "missing OS".

pbgough

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I tried it, get the same thing..."press f11 to start recovery" and then it automatically goes to "Missing OS". It did have the serial number of the hard drive as 1st boot devise and i did hit save just to make sure...but no luck.

I've used the restore cd for a full restore and it looks like its going to work and then gets to a point where it says it cannot partition hard drive and ends.

Bad Hard Drive? I didn't see any signs of it, as it worked fine. Just all of a sudden, I turned it on and got the screen going to "press f11 to start recovery" and then going right to "Missing OS".

confusion.

IF you are using a recovery CD "I can put the emaichines restore cd in and get the same "missing OS"." then you want the CDROM not the hard drive as the top of the boot list.

Suggest you download a USB bootable diagnostic and check out the hard drive.

Aside: there are different things you can do in winxp system then in a vista or win7 system. maybe you can post some information about your system.

Paladin2011

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Help. My son's computer is giving me no small amount of grief today. We had the same problem, the system would not boot, said OS is missing and went to "Start Recovery". We allowed it to do this repair/recovery twice and system seemed to start again, but all that we have is the mouse arrow on a blank screen. I had to reset the hard drive to 1st boot device in the bios. System rebooted, but still blank screen with mouse pointer. Any thoughts?