On-board chip/video card conflict

my system was working fine for years. now my card won't be recognized by the mobo and the on-board chip is always on.

i tried to disable it on the BIOS but there is no such option. only BOTH and AUTO.

got the old drivers and new drivers and deleted all registry keys and nothing.

got new video card and still the same issue. again deleted all traces of nvidia drivers from HHD and registry and tried again.

yesterday I got it to work for an hour then it rebooted by itself and got the same issue.

think is the mobo going bad but i would like to know if there's a fix before i go by a new mobo.

also, chip and video card are nvidia so i'm also wondering if its a driver issue.

any help is greatly appreciated.

v/r
Ortizimo!
13 answers Last reply
More about board chip video card conflict
  1. Drivers don't even kick in until Windows loads so if you aren't getting a signal from the card(s) before then it is a hardware or BIOS issue. If it is happening on both cards that means it is most likely a problem with the motherboard. Try resetting the BIOS entirely perhaps(either through a jumper you can find in the manual or by removing the battery.) If it still won't handle the card then yeah, I guess it is time for a new board.
  2. i was afraid of that...thnx, dont know why i didnt think of the batt reset for bios. if that doesnt work then i will have to postpone the LAN this Fri.
  3. When you do plug in your monitor on your discret video card, can it show anything when your in the bios? Cause if everything is normal you should.

Then if it cannot show anything when in Windows, it is related to the graphic driver. Uninstall previous drivers then install the latest.

That's it, there are only two possibilities: either your graphic card is working properly but it's driver in Windows is gone corrupted, or your graphic card is doomed and you should RAM it if warranty is still applicable.

EDIT: from my experience, even tho the BIOS is set to use the integrated video chip in priority, Windows can use every graphic chip it is configured to use. So resetting the BIOS won't help at all. If I were you I would uninstall previous drivers (in Windows obviously) then install the latest. Reboot then set the BIOS to use the PCI-E in priority. save and reboot. That's it. Oh sometimes you have to go back in Windows and configure the correct resolutions and default monitor to use before everything comes back to normal.

That kinda strange behavior happened to me yesterday and I had to do that to correct it. I didn't have to change anything in the BIOS for it to work tho.
  4. ok, well seems it was the BIOS battery. it was failing last week but I didnt pay attention to it. it may have also been the drivers but it happened with the old video card too.

thanks for the help.
  5. Like I said earlier it cannot be driver related unless the issue is strictly occurring once Windows loads.
  6. well i spoke too soon. yesterday everything was fine. today no more video card. back to onboard. i even updated to the newest drivers 280.26 and still the same thing. i guess its the mobo. i'll check if the japanese PC store have a AM2+ micro ATX around, if not then i'll have to get one shipped here.
  7. ortizimo74 said:
    well i spoke too soon. yesterday everything was fine. today no more video card. back to onboard. i even updated to the newest drivers 280.26 and still the same thing. i guess its the mobo. i'll check if the japanese PC store have a AM2+ micro ATX around, if not then i'll have to get one shipped here.

if your buying a new board you will also need a new copy of your OS, and i would reccommend getting an am3/am3+ board if you plan on getting a new board.
  8. why will i need a new copy of my o/s?
  9. ortizimo74 said:
    why will i need a new copy of my o/s?

if your getting a new motherboard you also need another license for your OS so yes another copy.
  10. negative ghost rider. dont think im shelling out more $$$ for the same software. not gonna happen. thnx though.
  11. You do not need a new copy. You just need to reinstall Windows.
  12. jyjjy said:
    You do not need a new copy. You just need to reinstall Windows.

with a new license key... (an unused one...)
  13. You can just call MS and they will always give you a new one, if you've actually gone through yours.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Chip Drivers Graphics