Need a power supply that will fit in my slim case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varastus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hey guys. This March, I will be getting a new graphics card ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161397 ) As my power supply is only 220W, I am guessing I also need a new power supply. The issue is, I have a slim case. Do any of you know if there is a decent power supply that will fit inside my case? Here is the info on my computer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02776817&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
If not, would it be difficult to put a power supply outside my case? I am very inexperienced with this tech stuff by the way. I've read about it and am fairly confident in my knowledge of computers, but I have never actually done anything like upgrading. Thanks!

Solution

My guess is that your current 220W OEM power supply has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 16 Amps.

It may work but there's no guarantee that it will and for how long.

If the existing 220W power supply is unable to cope with the load you may experience bad 3D performance or crashing games or spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC, freezing during game-play and overloading the power supply unit can cause it to break down/self-destruct...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can try one of these types of dedicated power supplies to supplement your current PSU, but you aren't likely to find a small form factor PSU with enough juice to meet the GPUs stated requirements.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006656&isNodeId=1&Description=bay&x=0&y=0

That being said, the 220w PSU that HP bundles with their systems are actually pretty good. I have a similar GPU in my HTPCs and they run with 180w PSUs just fine.

Another option would be to swap the guts of your rig into a standard case (with a standard PSU).

Give the existing PSU a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Varastus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Well, a lot of the reviews do say that it doesn't actually need a 400 watt power supply. You think that my current 220 watt could handle it? Would there be permanent damage if it turned out it couldnt?

Unbumped!

If your HP Pavilion Slimline s5753w 220W power supply unit has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 18 Amps or greater it should work. It's not the power supply's total wattage that determines whether or not it will/won't work.

The Radeon HD 6670, itself, only draws 58 Watts (4.8 Amps) from the +12V rail(s) when running Furmark.

If you really need to upgrade the power supply unit look at the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657+600014004&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=58&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Varastus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

How do I know if it has that?

A motherboard doesn't provide power to the graphics card it just routes it to the graphics card through the PCIe x16 slot (max. 75W). Just because a graphics card doesn't use PCIe Supplementary Power Connectors doesn't guarantee it will work properly.

The power ultimately comes from the DC Output rails of the power supply.

If the power supply has a weak +12V rail the graphics card won't receive sufficient power to run properly. The CPU will also be starved of power too since it gets all of its power from the +12V rail. Hard disk drives, optical drives, CPU cooling fan and case cooling fans also use power from the +12V rail.

The power supply is also going to lose capacity as it ages.

Varastus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I just got the computer last May, so its not that old. I dont think the PSU gets bad THAT fast. Ko888, do you think it is vital that the PSU be replaced before I get the graphics card? If I replace the graphics card but not the PSU, whats the worst that could happen?

My guess is that your current 220W OEM power supply has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 16 Amps.

It may work but there's no guarantee that it will and for how long.

If the existing 220W power supply is unable to cope with the load you may experience bad 3D performance or crashing games or spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC, freezing during game-play and overloading the power supply unit can cause it to break down/self-destruct.

If the power supply's protection circuits don't kick in you may end up with damaged components.

Solution

Varastus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Well, I only play MMOs so they arent very demanding. I think I'll take my chances. I'll replace the PSU if the signs start to show. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.