Sign in with
Your question

What is the best AMD processor for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2012 7:30:53 PM

I currently have an AMD A6-3600 APU 2.10 GHz. I also have an AMD Radeon HD 6350D graphics card, and was hoping to upgrade in whichever way that will give me better performance. Keep in mind that I need to stay with AMD, because I can't afford to replace my motherboard in order to use an Intel i5 or i7 CPU. Here are my options: I can either buy a better CPU, maybe something like an AMD A8, or buy a new power supply (considering that mine only supports 300W of power) and a new graphics card to go with that. So my question is, would I see better gaming performance with a newer processor and my original integrated graphics card, or with my original processor and a newer power supply (that supports 600W), along with an upgraded graphics card?

More about : amd processor gaming

January 8, 2012 8:09:11 PM

ryankw311 said:
I currently have an AMD A6-3600 APU 2.10 GHz. I also have an AMD Radeon HD 6350D graphics card, and was hoping to upgrade in whichever way that will give me better performance. Keep in mind that I need to stay with AMD, because I can't afford to replace my motherboard in order to use an Intel i5 or i7 CPU. Here are my options: I can either buy a better CPU, maybe something like an AMD A8, or buy a new power supply (considering that mine only supports 300W of power) and a new graphics card to go with that. So my question is, would I see better gaming performance with a newer processor and my original integrated graphics card, or with my original processor and a newer power supply (that supports 600W), along with an upgraded graphics card?

What is your budget?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 8:13:19 PM

Overclock the CPU if you can and get a Radeon 6670 to stick in there. It will crossfire with your built in GPU. The 6670's are cheap and you can get a good CPU cooler for around $40.

You would only need to spend a little over $100 this way and you wouldn't waste a decent CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 194 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 8, 2012 8:20:38 PM

The apus are socket fm1 so are not compatible with deneb or thuban which are socket am3. But your cpu is enough power for gaming. You may OC you cpu for some performance gain if you'd like. The main component for games is a graphics card. I see you were already suggested plenty of options in your other thread so won't go into that.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 8, 2012 8:52:59 PM

ryankw311 said:

Your 6350 is built into your A6 3600, that is why it's called an APU and not CPU. If you purchase an A8 you'll get a faster cpu and gpu as they're one and the same with APUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 8, 2012 9:14:55 PM

since you are on a FM1 board the only cpus you can get is the A line APUs.

the A8 3870 is probably your best choice. its $140 and will be a lot more powerful in gaming than your A6, you'd also be good to OC it.

if you have money left over for a 6670, you could go crossfirex with the APU for better performance.
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 194 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 1:42:49 AM

The main component for gaming is a graphics card. Your cpu is plenty of power for a high end card so why spend money on a small cpu upgrade when a gpu will get you much more fps.
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 2:30:19 AM

for your system i would recommend a gfx card upgrade... as you will get more performance overall. a cpu upgrade will just increase your computational power, but you have a lowley gfx card. so you wont really see any difference.

so yea a 550w psu and something like a 6870 will give a huge boost compared to a cpu upgrade.
m
l
January 20, 2012 7:50:26 PM

HEXiT said:
for your system i would recommend a gfx card upgrade... as you will get more performance overall. a cpu upgrade will just increase your computational power, but you have a lowley gfx card. so you wont really see any difference.

so yea a 550w psu and something like a 6870 will give a huge boost compared to a cpu upgrade.

Great idea in words but the fact of the matter is the APU's are stuck with specific GPU's to use and sadly a 6870 is beyond its capability. the 6670 is your best one and best bet so after that your looking at RAM and Overclocking to get more power out of the puter, but that should be plenty good luck! :wahoo: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 20, 2012 10:08:05 PM

you can still use a 6870 with an apu perfectly fine, it just means the onboard graphics gets disabled.
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 194 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 20, 2012 10:37:01 PM

6670 is not the best you can use. 6670 is the highest you can hybrid crossfire which I would not recommend doing since it is a low end card. For gaming you want the best gpu you can get.
m
l
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 121 À AMD
January 20, 2012 11:04:52 PM

I would go with the quad core Phenom II X4 960T.

It is a socket AM3+ CPU which means you can upgrade to Piledriver later. It is actually a 6 core CPU, but 2 of the cores are locked because they did not pass AMD's test to qualify as a 6 core CPU. It is possible to unlock the 2 cores with the right motherboard, but it might make your system unstable. But even with just the 4 cores it is a good performing CPU for the price.

I recommend against going with AMD's Llano APUs at this point in time mainly because it's successor, Trinity, will be coming relatively soon and because it will use socket FM2 instead of socket FM1 you will not be able to upgrade. Meaning socket FM1 Llano APUs are at a dead end when it comes to future upgrades. Additionally, Llano's CPU core is a bit weaker than the Phenom II CPU core, but for the average gamer it should not be much of a concern.

I believe Trinity is supposed to be released in Q1 2012; meaning by the end of March. It is based on the Bulldozer core and hopefully AMD has tweaked the core a bit to improve performance (desktop Bulldozer CPU are more or less equal to the Phenom II CPU in most benchmarks). It's integrated graphics core will be based on Radeon HD 7xxx graphics core.

It's too soon speculate on Trinity's performance and if there will be a future upgrade path. Who knows, maybe Trinity's successor will be socket FM3 which would mean Trinity (like Llano) has no future upgrade path.
m
l
March 19, 2012 9:09:32 PM

Hello, I just wanted to chime in and let you know about gaming and cpu's. Most current games can only use 2 cores. At this point (for gaming) I would recommend the fastest possible cores. You want to be in the 3-4 ghz range per core for maximum performance. Some games (eg:mw3) are very LIGHT on cpu and heavy on the g card. Other games (eg:skyrim) are extremely cpu intensive AND g card intensive.

The processor another poster pointed out (x4 940) would be ideal for you.Most current 6-8 core processors sacrifice ghz per core to add more cores. I would *downgrade* to the 940 (READ UPGRADE to 940 and craigslist your bulldozer) AND buy A ps and maybe a 6850 ati g card (I use this card/plays everything quite well) OR OC THE HELL out of your current processor and go ps and card.,

So to summarize: get high clocks per core (around at least 3ghz, and it really doesn't matter how many cores) add a gpu (this is gonna be your biggest performance booster) and upgrade your power supply. Also...one last thing, dont oc your processor without upgrading your cooling and on board graphics is not even close to the same as a graphics card. happy building!

m
l
March 19, 2012 9:23:01 PM

3viLmonK3ys said:
Hello, I just wanted to chime in and let you know about gaming and cpu's. Most current games can only use 2 cores. At this point (for gaming) I would recommend the fastest possible cores. You want to be in the 3-4 ghz range per core for maximum performance. Some games (eg:mw3) are very LIGHT on cpu and heavy on the g card. Other games (eg:skyrim) are extremely cpu intensive AND g card intensive.

The processor another poster pointed out (x4 940) would be ideal for you.Most current 6-8 core processors sacrifice ghz per core to add more cores. I would *downgrade* to the 940 (READ UPGRADE to 940 and craigslist your bulldozer) AND buy A ps and maybe a 6850 ati g card (I use this card/plays everything quite well) OR OC THE HELL out of your current processor and go ps and card.,

So to summarize: get high clocks per core (around at least 3ghz, and it really doesn't matter how many cores) add a gpu (this is gonna be your biggest performance booster) and upgrade your power supply. Also...one last thing, dont oc your processor without upgrading your cooling and on board graphics is not even close to the same as a graphics card. happy building!

no offense, that's an absolute nightmare to read.

I have OC'd my A6-3600 to 3.5, and everything is cool and stable so far. I did pick up some heat, not a lot though.

I also ended up with a 6970, and have OC'd it as well. I have been very happy, and my lowest score on windows EXP is 7.2
m
l
April 28, 2013 6:44:17 PM

ryankw311 said:

m
l
April 28, 2013 6:55:09 PM

I JUST DID MY OWN SYSTEM BUILD ON BUDGET WITH A I5-QUAD CORE CPU I HAD WITH A NEW ASROCK H61-MDGS MOTHER BOARD FROM MY AREA MICROCENTER COMPUTER STORE FOR $44.99+TAX I AM RUNNING METAL OF HONOR WAR-FIGHTER ON IT NOW THE BOARD IS GREAT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR FOR THE PRICE I AM LOOKING TO BUILD AN AMD SYSTEM WHAT DO U RECOMMEND
m
l
!