Advantage with an ssd

tcs9r3

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hello,
I have been curious about getting an SSD for a while for the faster boot times, reduced power draw, and faster file access, but have been thrown off by the price and lack of storage of standard HDs.

Recently I read about NAS (Network Attached Storage) and had a thought. Would having an external hard drive connected to a home router via a NAS adapter (or just a NAS enabled HD) for music media, old data, etc. along with an SSD installed on a laptop for all core programs, sensitive files, and other data that need to be kept close by alleviate the constriction of not forking out the big bucks for a 128 or 256 GB SSD? Has anyone used a setup similar to this before? How would/did this work?

Solution
That's what I'm slowly working towards with my home network. All my media will be stored on my server (which is pretty much true already), and then I plan on installing SSDs in the remainder of my PCs once prices go down a bit more. It'll be similar to running thin clients, just not quite ;)

The only limitation here would be your network speed, but as long as you've got a gigabit network and decent NIC's, it should be just fine.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
That's what I'm slowly working towards with my home network. All my media will be stored on my server (which is pretty much true already), and then I plan on installing SSDs in the remainder of my PCs once prices go down a bit more. It'll be similar to running thin clients, just not quite ;)

The only limitation here would be your network speed, but as long as you've got a gigabit network and decent NIC's, it should be just fine.

Solution