Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Getting "DVI no signal" "HDMI no signal"

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2011 6:03:34 AM

I just build my new PC and turned it on the first time and it gives me the message "DVI No signal" & HDMI no signal" [tried both seperately] and then the monitor goes to standby mode. I have tried the "Turn on/Turn off" Method for both PC and monitor and it gives me the same message several times. I plugged HDMI and DVI both to motherboard only [as I don't have a graphic card yet].

I checked and see the red lights [for power and reset button] are TURNED ON on the mobo and all 3 fans that comes with the case also on. Also the blue led light and temperature red light on mobo is turned on.

I did plug in a Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 and Dynex Multimedia Keyboard but neither the light of the mouse was shown or the keyboard caps/num lock.

I had everything connected to the motherboard [cpu, 4x2 ram, cpu fan, HD, and all other connectors for my pc build] except CD/DVD-ROM [as I will be installing windows 7 with USB Flash drive].

Therefore, please tell me what steps to take to fix this in whatever way it should be done as I want to install win7 right away!



My new pc build:
-i5-2500k
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 [BIOS VERSION P1.00]
-G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB)
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
- PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W
-Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-ASUS VG236HE3D LCD Monitor

More about : dvi signal hdmi signal

a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2011 6:20:55 AM

Make sure you have both the 24 pin power connector and the 8 pin power connector plugged in. If you already have those in what is the debug code showing? (Bottom right hand corner)
October 9, 2011 6:28:37 AM

suteck said:
Make sure you have both the 24 pin power connector and the 8 pin power connector plugged in. If you already have those in what is the debug code showing? (Bottom right hand corner)


1. Yes i have the 8 pin power connector plugged in. And, if it was really the power issue, then why would all 3 fans and including the power and reset lights turn on the mobo?

2. How can I see the debug code as I get "dvi no signal" Or "HDMI no signal" [when connecting via hdmi cable] on the monitor for a few sec. and it goes back to stand by mode.
Related resources
October 9, 2011 10:18:10 AM

I have been having this issue every now and then as of late with a new pc.It will happen randomly while browsing. Clearing the CMOS worked for me but i think that's only a band aid for the problem.

I tried my GPU in different slots,each stick of ram individually & in all slots,still no clue.
October 9, 2011 12:06:13 PM

Seeing as you haven't gotten any other suggestion than the 8 pin power plug on the nvidia forum either ( ;)  ), i thought i'd give a few suggestions.

Disregarding any build errors (placing MB directly on sidepanel without spacers, placing cpu wrong etc.), i suggest you try disconnecting other hardware such as your HDD and testing with just 1 memory module in the first slot. Also try testing with a pci-express videocard.

If still nothing happens it is most likely a motherboard / memory issue, or in rare cases the cpu. If you bought it at a local shop i'd pay them a visit and have them test these components for you.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2011 1:37:52 PM
Share

otaku3230 said:
1. Yes i have the 8 pin power connector plugged in. And, if it was really the power issue, then why would all 3 fans and including the power and reset lights turn on the mobo?

2. How can I see the debug code as I get "dvi no signal" Or "HDMI no signal" [when connecting via hdmi cable] on the monitor for a few sec. and it goes back to stand by mode.



! - Because if it is a power issue then that is why you only have part of the board doing what it is supposed to. The 24 pin will run most of the boards components, like the fans, mosfets capacitors, things like that. The 8 pin power is an addition, old time didn't have one last generation boards come with a 4 pin connector and the newer boards come with 1 8 pin while some boards come with 2 8 pin extra power connectors so you can run extra motherboards features like the multple pcie lanes, overclocking, and 32 GB of memory at the faster rated speeds. I suggest the 8 pin because sometimes it doesn't seat all the way when you plug it in. Some features, like ondie video, s-ata and usb ports use the power from the other power connector as a way of unidirectional power distribution. And that was also some of the problems you mentioned you were having.

2 - As for the debug code - there is a Dr. Debug with LED on the bottom right hand corner of the motherboard that is supposed to come on and run a series of codes as your board runs through it's power on process. Since it is on the board you don't need video for it to work. And I guess I was a little vague on the location, If your motherboard is laying flat down in front of you and the back panel connectors are located to the top left and the hdd sata ports are on the bottom right then the Dr. Debug code led indicators are about 2 fingers width from the back of the s-ata port connectors. If you FOLLOW THIS LINK and select the picture laying the board flat on it's back and look at the bottom right it will point it out for you, or look in your manual.

If it's a new build and you just put it together did you connect a motherboard speaker to it? If not you should at least until you get it working correctly. It will give you an audio beep code that does a similar function as the Dr. Debug only less sophisticated. Failing those helpful devices you can follow the tomshardware link under my cpu banner and it will walk you through all the steps of a new build. Some will apply to you and some will not but follow it thru, There's some good advice in there collected from multiple sources to cover most problems found during builds. Please do each step that relevant, don't just skip cause you believe you did it right the first time.
October 9, 2011 8:33:12 PM

suteck said:
! - Because if it is a power issue then that is why you only have part of the board doing what it is supposed to. The 24 pin will run most of the boards components, like the fans, mosfets capacitors, things like that. The 8 pin power is an addition, old time didn't have one last generation boards come with a 4 pin connector and the newer boards come with 1 8 pin while some boards come with 2 8 pin extra power connectors so you can run extra motherboards features like the multple pcie lanes, overclocking, and 32 GB of memory at the faster rated speeds. I suggest the 8 pin because sometimes it doesn't seat all the way when you plug it in. Some features, like ondie video, s-ata and usb ports use the power from the other power connector as a way of unidirectional power distribution. And that was also some of the problems you mentioned you were having.


1. I get number 53 on Dr. Debug. According to my manual it means " Memory initialization error. No usable memory detected" [info from here: http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3...]

So, I tried putting one ram on 1st &2nd slot, 2 RAM via dual-channel, even no ram and still get the 53 number on Dr. Debug.

Therefore, my question is can I not go into BIOS without having RAM insalled or connected to Mobo? And how do I check if its really the RAM without using another PC?

3. I only get 53 on Dr. Debug. So does that mean it is not a power issue or faulty mobo?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2011 9:19:44 PM

No the motherboard won't work without at least 1 compatible stick of memory. You will need to try a single stick of memory in the correct slot noted in your motherboard manual. You might have a bad stick of ram so try first one and then the other. If that doesn't work it won't hurt to try them in each slot one at a time just to see if you get any results. And yes it is possible to have two bad sticks but not as likely as missing something during installation. Did you follow the trouble shooting link? It really will walk you through a lot of common faults. Also, I see you have the cpu cooler plugged in and running. But make sure you have one plugged into the fan header marked cpu fan. Some motherboards still require you to plug one into that particular fan header.
October 9, 2011 9:31:17 PM

suteck said:
No the motherboard won't work without at least 1 compatible stick of memory. You will need to try a single stick of memory in the correct slot noted in your motherboard manual. You might have a bad stick of ram so try first one and then the other. If that doesn't work it won't hurt to try them in each slot one at a time just to see if you get any results. And yes it is possible to have two bad sticks but not as likely as missing something during installation. Did you follow the trouble shooting link? It really will walk you through a lot of common faults. Also, I see you have the cpu cooler plugged in and running. But make sure you have one plugged into the fan header marked cpu fan. Some motherboards still require you to plug one into that particular fan header.



1. I will do as you suggest and both ram seperately on all slots and see how that goes

2. I did read the link and did found some helpful information. so if the ram procedure don't work, I will try the walkthough you have given me.

3. cpu cooler in correct header

Also, please can someone inform me, since I get the #53 on DR. Debug [ " Memory initialization error. No usable memory detected" ], Does that mean my CPU works fine as I am not getting any further errors [even without connecting any RAM to mobo]?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2011 9:40:13 PM

Sorry but no. That just means.that when it looked for operable memory it didn't find any. It could mean that the cpu lane is not working correctly or that some of the cpu socket pins got bent or broken during installation and the cpu can't read whats there.
October 10, 2011 12:42:42 AM

suteck said:
Sorry but no. That just means.that when it looked for operable memory it didn't find any. It could mean that the cpu lane is not working correctly or that some of the cpu socket pins got bent or broken during installation and the cpu can't read whats there.


okay.

1. Now I tried putting both RAM seperately on all 4 slots and still get the same 53 number on DR. DEBUG. Therefore, maybe both ram are faulty or its something else.

2. Now I have to check to see if its the CPU and see how that goes.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2011 12:46:32 AM

Be real careful removing the cpu. those pins are really really easy to bend. Go slow and lift straight up.
October 10, 2011 4:08:52 AM

suteck said:
Be real careful removing the cpu. those pins are really really easy to bend. Go slow and lift straight up.


1. okay, I just reinserted cpu with and without cpu fan and I am still getting the number 53 message on Dr. Debug. [I only had 1 Ram inserted in 1 slot; mouse,keyboard, flash drive not plugged in, pc case 2 usb connectors not plugged in to mobo also]

So, is it SAFE to take a picture [using my samsung mobile phone without the flash as it doesn't have that] of the cpu socket and someone can tell me if my cpu socket is normal?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2011 10:30:19 AM

Yes you can take a picture but it will have to be hi res for us to see anything. Flash bulbs wont hurt anything and the more light the better.
October 11, 2011 12:23:17 AM

suteck said:
Yes you can take a picture but it will have to be hi res for us to see anything. Flash bulbs wont hurt anything and the more light the better.


1. Well don't have a camera so cannot do it now.

2. Maybe I got a faulty motherboard as the cpu socket design/structure of my mobo does not resemble what is pictured here [but everthing else does]:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3(m).jpg

So did I got the bad motherboard or Model# Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 can have different structure to the cpu socket? [google'd and no answer was given, so I am asking here]
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2011 2:51:51 PM

We would need a picture of what you have to compare it. Sorry, the picture is indeed what your socket should look like. Even if it's not the best picture give us something to look at and maybe we can detect what you're talking about. Use your phone's camera like you mentioned earlier. I apologize for the "see anything" statement. I'm sure I was a little rash when I said "see anything", I just meant the better the res the sharper the picture. But put extra light on it so we can see it well.
October 11, 2011 6:27:53 PM

suteck said:
We would need a picture of what you have to compare it. Sorry, the picture is indeed what your socket should look like. Even if it's not the best picture give us something to look at and maybe we can detect what you're talking about. Use your phone's camera like you mentioned earlier. I apologize for the "see anything" statement. I'm sure I was a little rash when I said "see anything", I just meant the better the res the sharper the picture. But put extra light on it so we can see it well.



1. Now its not even turning on! Do you think its the psu then?

2. I am going to take a picture and send it within a hour or so

a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2011 6:32:03 PM

Could be a bad mobo or psu. If you leave the memory out do you get the beep code from the mobo speaker?
October 11, 2011 6:56:20 PM

suteck said:
Could be a bad mobo or psu. If you leave the memory out do you get the beep code from the mobo speaker?


1. Sorry. no mobo speaker as of now.

2. Here is the pics of my cpu socket [comparing to the asrock picture above, you can clearly see its not the same cpu socket!]:


October 11, 2011 7:13:06 PM

Compare that to asrock and you will see it does not look the same:

a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2011 2:04:52 AM

You are right. I see the difference. Maybe you should RMA the board.
October 12, 2011 2:11:05 AM

suteck said:
You are right. I see the difference. Maybe you should RMA the board.


1. I just RMA'ed it today for a replacement. Hope then next one is okay!

2. Does anyone know why the difference and is it considered normal?


October 19, 2011 12:04:19 AM

Best answer selected by otaku3230.
April 19, 2012 10:06:22 PM

I discovered the same issue of HDMI to DVI resulting in no signal, this time involving a Roku (HDMI) to monitor (DVI). I switched the Roku for a PC and discovered that the problem is only in one direction, that DVI (PC) to HDMI (monitor) works but the reverse does not. I assume this has something to do with the HDMI spec?
!