Four-pin cpu overload

sarjan100

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I'll try to put as much as i can.
My computers only powers up for a while and then switches off, it has no time to display anything on the screen.
I opened up my computer and found out that when i removed the FOUR-PIN connection to the CPU the power stayed on.
I then left it out and turned on the power, while it was turned on i put it back in the CPU slot and a spark came out switching the whole thing off, i have a feeling the FOUR-PIN connection is overloading, anything i can do?

Did it work OK before when plugged in?

I don't think you should EVER try to plug psu leads with the pc powered on.

1) The 4 pin cpu connection is not always needed. It looks like this might be applicable here. Check your motherboard manual.
Sometimes the cpu connector is only needed for overclocking.

2) Are you certain that you have the proper connector to be used? They are keyed to fit only one way.

3) It is possible that the 4 pin psu lead has shorted. If it is a new psu, it is rma time.

4) If it is an older psu, you can buy a molex to 4 pin cpu adapter so you can try a different lead.

5) If you think the psu is all good, then the motherboard may be at fault.

sarjan100

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
@geo

It worked before, i only began tampering with the inside after the problem began, i'm not really an expert with comp terms (16 year old), anyway when i take out the 4 pin cord from the cpu nothing comes up on the monitor, i think the cpu is required, also someone had checked the motherboard and said it was alright and said it was alright, (it was an expert)

sarjan100

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I dunno if this is enough but it says Windows vista Home Premium OEMact Packard Bell on the microsoft tag and.
product key REMOVED BY MOD

See if you can find a model number or something that will identify the hardware in your machine. Also, i have removed your windows product key from your post because its a really bad idea to go posting that on an international forum.

Based on your description you are doing some silly things. That 4 pin plug is the CPU power, no power to the CPU, no way to get past POST so everything appears to run, but actually isn't.

Then it seems like you made the stupid mistake of playing with the wiring while the computer was on, would you play with the wires inside your main breaker panel without turning the main power off? Don't do it with your computer either. That spark you saw was because your CPU tried to draw power from the connector without a good connection, you may have damaged something by doing that since you caused an arc.

The four pin isn't your issue, you went looking for an issue and created a different one, it is not the source of your original issues.

sarjan100

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Model/type reference UTOW - D10
MS Model - DV100

I saw this at the back, don't know if it will help, and im sorry but i just literally learn't all this today.
It would be nice if language could be kept quite simple.
And i don't get what you mean in the last 2 sentences.

And nevertheless the power doesn't shortcircuit when the 4pin is not connect, it still shortcircuited before i even did the arc or connected it while power was on.

You have a Packard Bell UTOW D10. The issue could be the PSU, the motherboard that's shorted out, the video card, etc. With your minimal knowledge of PCs, may I suggest you take it to a shop that could identify the cause and fix it? If you want to fix it yourself, then stert by replacing the PSU.

sarjan100

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Thanks, i'll try that, i'll post the cause and fix after