My computer will only start if the memory is reseated

pacmenace

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I built my computer a year a ago and I haven't had any significant problems until last week. My computer randomly shut itself off and ever since then I can not get past the start up screen. The orbs begin to fly around but then the system either locks up or restarts. I can not access safe mode or even revert it back to the last stable mode. I tried re installing Windows but after downloading the files from the disk the computer freezes and restarts. However, when i remove a stick of ram or move the ram around I can use the computer for an hour and then it crashes again. After the crash the same issues occurs, and it will no work unless the ram is reseated again. I have purchased a new set of ram but that does not seem to have solved the problem. I reset my CMOS and all my fans are running fine. My processor and GPU were never over clocked and were at low temperatures. Any suggestions? Is there a better place to ask this question?

System Specs
Graphics:GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Motherboard:MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
CPU:AMD Athlon II x3 445 3.1Ghz
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU:Antec NeoPower 550W

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Motherboard ram sockets are going bad, or some solder on the mainboard.
You could try sticking it in the oven for a bit to try to get the solder to reseat. But that is definitely up to you.
Look it up on youtube if ur interested.
If sticking it in the oven doesn't work then replace the mainboard.

Three possibilities, either the power supply is going bad or you have a faulty motherboard. Another possibility is that when you play about with the memory you are moving the graphics card. Remove and refit the graphics card, try another power supply.

pacmenace

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I'm still looking of a PSU but i should be able to get my hands on one soon. I have just have a quick question, if it is a MOBO malfunction why does it work after a memory reseat? Why does this let it function for a brief period before it crashes? I'm just curious

scopetacticz

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Hey I have the exact same problem and need help, I have tried new RAM and everything, have you found out what it was yet?