Sign in with
Your question

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4- weird Ram issues and restarts

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2012 2:50:02 AM

I recently bought a new Motherboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme 4), CPU (i5 3570k) Corsair CX750 PSU and Boot drive (SSD- Crucial M4), the latter 3 are playing nicely but I have a weird problem with the motherboard when it comes to Ram.

My computer loads up fine with 1 stick of ram no matter which slot I put it in.

It also loads up fine if I use 2 sticks of ram in slots 1(a1) & 2(a2). The same goes for 2 sticks of ram in slots 3(b1) & 4(b2)

The problem starts when I mix up the a slots and b slots. So, for example, when I put the 2 sticks of ram in slots 1(a1) & 3(b1) - as the manual tells me to do- as well as slots 2(a2) & 4(b2). Here my computer gets to the Starting Windows screen with the multicoloured flag and then simply restarts itself., creating a never ending loop.
There's a slight difference when I put the 2 ram sticks in slots 2(a2) & 3(b2) and again when the sticks are put in slots 1(a1) and 4(b2), Windows still won't load but it allows me past the Starting Windows screen to put in my password. It then freezes on the Welcome screen, leaving me with no choice but to turn my PC off manually.

So there is my predicament. I have re-installed Windows, updated a bunch of drivers from the ASrock site, tried different Ram. The Ram shows up in the Bios/Uefi but just won't let me in to windows when dual channel is involved. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm all outta those now...

Thanks

PS. Nearly forgot, the RAM I'm using is Patriot 1333EL Series DDR3 PC3-10700. I've also tried GSkill DDR3 PC3 1333 10666 CL9
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 3, 2012 4:47:28 AM

Hi, It looks like a CPU socket bent pins issue. I would reinstall the CPU, check the socket with a magnifying glass for bent pins and if all's fine, install the CPU cooler without overtightening it (don't forget to clear the old thermal paste and reapply a new one).
When finishing, clear the CMOS, reinstall the RAMs and test.
November 4, 2012 12:01:58 AM

alexoiu said:
Hi, It looks like a CPU socket bent pins issue. I would reinstall the CPU, check the socket with a magnifying glass for bent pins and if all's fine, install the CPU cooler without overtightening it (don't forget to clear the old thermal paste and reapply a new one).
When finishing, clear the CMOS, reinstall the RAMs and test.

Hi,

There doesn't look like there are any bent pins
Here's a pic:
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9482/pins01.jpg

I've done as you said however the problem persists :( 
a c 559 V Motherboard
November 4, 2012 5:15:01 AM

Then it's either a motherboard or a CPU issue. I suggest having them tested at a local shop.
!