Sign in with
Your question

Asus Mobo freezing with dual monitors and CF setup

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2012 5:17:02 AM

Hi,

For the past week or so i been having some freezing problems with my setup, while gaming the computer will freeze completely to the point where all i can do is press the power button because not even the reset button does anything and after that i don't get any messages about blue screen or anything.

The important: the problem only happens with both video cards in crossfire mode, with both monitors(one running in 120hz and the other in 60hz) and with v-sync on, if i unplug a monitor or have both at 60hz or even turn v-sync off the freeze will stop.

I tried everything ,already re-installed windows a few times, tried different video drivers, changed the BIOS, tried a different power supply, but nothing will solve it.

To me it seems like the problem is the monitors running at different frequencies while v-sync is turn on in the game causing some weird glitch, the deal is that this problem has only been occurring for a week! before that i didn't have any problem.

I also tested my crossfire setup in my old system and no freeze happen, what makes me think that the problem could be in my motherboard crossfire controller but i would like someone else opinion, maybe someone with more knowledge than me.

PS: i know i could just disable v-sync but that's is not the problem here, what i want to know is if really is a hardware problem and not software, because if it is i still can resort to the warranty

Thank you to anyone who can help out in anyway or took the time to read all this :) 

My current system:
Asus Rampage IV formula (BIOS 1404)
Intel i7 3820
AMD XFX 7970 CF
Gskill 4x4gb ddr3 1600mhz
Corsair TX850W PSU

Old system:
Asus Crosshair IV formula
Phenom II 965
Gskill 2x2gb ddr3 1600mhz
Seventeam ST-850ZAF
November 9, 2012 10:46:03 AM

BUMP

Indeed no one huh ? after much testing the problem seems to be the fact that at 120hz with double monitors and crossfire setup the v-sync will limit the frame rate at 240 frames per second instead of the usual 120, seems to be a firmware bug on either the graphics card or the motherboard, either way just leaving this update here and in case anyone knows of anything please don't be shy to comment.
m
l
November 12, 2012 6:59:46 PM

Just an update, problem has been solved, turns out the hardware is not faulty, after a bit of testing i found that all i needed to do is change the monitor 1# on catalyst driver as the second monitor was set as 1# and causing those problems. now Benq is monitor 1# and LG is monitor 2# and everything is working fine finally :) 
m
l
!