Intel R Pentium R D CPU 2,55 GHz, 512 MB Ram

Please disregard the previous thread with the "4" in it. The thread above is correct. Why is it so slow? What is the latest and fastest system just a regular user needs. All I do is Qiucken, no gaming, mostly surf, shop, Word, etc. I just want it faster. What do I need? Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about intel pentium
  1. its slow because it is an old and outdated cpu. The fastest system would probably be a system with an i7-3960x.
  2. Regardless of how light you think your computing load is going to be, I recommend building a system around a processor that is going to hold up well for a few years at least. For Intel, a Sandy Bridge i5 is probably the best bang for your dollar right now, the 2500K if you think there is a chance that you will want to overclock/game/run multiple apps at once (you never know). If you feel confident that you will never have use those things, I still recommend the i5-2500, or 2400, etc. If you want to be a little more miserly, an i3 (Sandy Bridge) variant would also run anything you would want and be somewhat future-proof. They still make dual-core Pentiums, but I don't know if you want to go that low; sure, they may be able to handle what you plan to do adequately at the moment, but I think you would notice in the near future that they would perform noticeably slower in relation to the average next generation chips. Or, wait ~2.5 months and build around the Ivy Bridge variants of the chips I just listed.

From slowest to more powerful: Celeron < Pentium Dual Core < i3 < i5 < i7 < i7 enthusiast line

Summary - research into the i3 and i5 processors, read up on different benchmarks of how those chips perform in apps you will use, and compare costs.
  3. colleeh said:
    Please disregard the previous thread with the "4" in it. The thread above is correct. Why is it so slow? What is the latest and fastest system just a regular user needs. All I do is Qiucken, no gaming, mostly surf, shop, Word, etc. I just want it faster. What do I need? Thanks

for info on full system, ask in the new build section and use the new build form.
    a core i3 2100 or core i5 2400 would be good for a general purpose pc. those are considerably faster than your current cpu. among pentiums, a pentium g860 (sandy bridge) ($100~) should also be much better than the pentium dual core.
    you will also need 4 gb (2x 2gb) or 8 gb (2x 4gb) ddr3 1333 ram for the pc.
    Intel Pentium E5300 - 2.60GHz vs Intel Core i3 2100 - 3.1GHz (2 cores, 4 logical cores)
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/98?vs=289
    Intel Pentium E5300 - 2.60GHz vs Intel Core i5 2400 - 3.1GHz (4 real cores)
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/98?vs=363
    core i5 2400 ($190~) is faster than core i3 2100 ($125~).
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=363
    if you need a state of the art high performance desktop pc, you'd have to go with core i5 2500k ($220~), core i7 2600k ($320~), 3820 ($300~, not yet released), 3930k($600~) or 3960x ($1000~).
  4. i can tell you how to fix in 3 steps
    1. pick up pentium 2.5ghz
    2. put in bin.
    3. Buy new PC.

if your really on a tight budget, more RAM would do a world of good. Aim for 2gb ram and it will seem like a new PC.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium