Intel Motherboards... Are they so bad?

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
OK. This is more of a psychological question, rather than a technical one.

I recently upgraded my system with CPU, Mobo and RAM.
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz
Mobo: Intel Corporation DH61ZE

I decided about the CPU beforehand. But, The Intel Mobo was recommended by the Store Owner.
But, Later, I found out from some of my friends that Gigabyte & ASUS are way better and economical than Intel Mobos.

I paid Rs. 3400 for the Intel Mobo, while the Gigabyte or ASUS Mobo would have cost me Rs. 2700.
Straight Rs. 700 difference. And, still it sucks (acc. to my friends).

So, I wonder whether the Intel Mobos are so stinky. Then, why do they sell them for higher price?

I really need some consolation. Can anyone cheer me up? :(

PS: Rupees (Rs.) is Indian currency. 1$ ~ Rs. 50.

Console yourself. Intel boards work fine. I have your cpu and my asus board can't overclock it either, due to the cpu and motherboard chipset, not the brand of the board. Your board can do everything mine can. The UEFI bios on my asus is easy to work with, but your Intel board may have the same. You will only need to change boards if you buy a "k" series cpu with unlocked multiplier for overclocking. Intel voids the warranty of it's newer cpus when overclocked unless you buy their insurance policy. Only Intel would have the nerve to do this as another way to make money.

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Well, Smack your friends in the face. They obviously do not know what they are talking about. Intel mobos do not have as many chips on them but they offer superior build quality for the same price.

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Yea. Its ok. For you, I dont think you are a power user. You do not need the expansive PLX chips on asus motherboards. Intel motherboards do not use these chips and go for a better build quality then features that the chips provide. EXAMPLE. Soundcard, ethernet card, PCIE bandwith allocator(IDK what that called) ASmedia chips, chips for more usb and sata ports.

These chips cost money. Intel do not add so many of them. So you notice that they have less usb ports ETC

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
+1 DJDeCiBeL.

It has been a common practice for local retail shops to recommend Intel boards both to walk in customers as well as for local contract builds.
The reason is simple and has worked in Intel's favor for many years. Intel supports these outlets extremely well. Returned boards/warranty credits are the best in the business.
The boards themselves are stable, relatively simple, cheap to build and sell at a higher price than the market would otherwise justify.
Intel is also quick to publish BIOS and driver updates when issues arise.

Once in a while Intel tries to spec out an enthusiast board, but even their decent efforts don't usually sell all that well.
If you are building your own rig, there are better choices.

If your local shop recommends Intel boards, now you know why.
They are not steering you wrong. They are just looking at minimizing the cost and hassle to all parties when building a rig just don't go well.

Newf.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

You are Correct Newf, but if you see my question carefully, you'll find that Intel Board with same features costs more than the GIGABYTE/ASUS equivalent (from where I bought it). So, that sucks to hell...

But, Now I have to be content with what I have. There is no use of poking here and there, as long as the Mobo is working fine, I suppose...

Anyways, Thanx for the reply.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I know I made a wrong choice.
Now, I want to buy a GPU for gaming (I'm not a hardcore gamer, but still will be playing Sleeping Dogs & GTA 4: Episodes from Liberty City Mainly).

I'll be buying HD7770/HD7750/GTX 550Ti.

Will these work fine with what I have? I mean can the Intel Mobo handle the GPU well enough?