Tags:
  • Site Bug Reports
  • Internet Explorer
  • Email
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
October 4, 2009 1:09:23 PM

To the powers that be;

I have not recieved any email notifications from the numerous threads which I've posted answers on since September 24th. :ouch:  Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I've logged out and in a few times, dis-abled and re-enabled my profile email setting, cleared my IE browser cache, cookies and the whole barrel of monkeys, deleted temporary files from every obscure folder, re-booted, defragged, sent Bill Gates a check, and sacrificed a virgin on an Antec 900 to the thermal Gods ... all for naught! :pt1cable:  I still have blue flags, but no email notifications! :heink: 

The only remaining item I can think of that I haven't yet tried is "Reset discussion tracking" out of fear that I'll lose the only remaining way I have to track my posts. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. :D 

Comp :sol: 

P.S. I guess that I'll have to check back with you! :cry: 

More about : email notification

October 5, 2009 12:59:50 PM

Hey,

This happened to another user before then, all of a sudden, they started working again.

Are any other users on here not receiving notifications?

Justin
October 5, 2009 9:24:07 PM

I was bombarded by thread emails that were unstoppable a while ago. Changing the forum options didn't do a thing - then all of a sudden the emails stopped. I think it has something to do with the forum options panel, because I just re-enabled my signature showing for the third time in a few weeks, and it keeps disabling itself.
Related resources
October 6, 2009 10:57:33 AM

^ It happens to me a lot more often..
^^^ Try using the "Post reply" button not the "Quick reply"... Or just enable them manually... This will only work if the notifications weren't valid since the day you came here....
October 6, 2009 11:19:27 AM

I've been here 3 years, and I almost never use Quick reply. Also, it makes no difference if I manually enable email notification.
October 6, 2009 11:26:36 AM

Sorry! It's just that your info says

So i didn't take it seriously!
Try manually enabling the notifications.. Wait for the "e-mail notification has been successfully activated!" message and immediately hit the same button from the previous page while the page is still loading.. It worked for me!

Medo
October 6, 2009 12:26:43 PM

psycho sykes said:
Sorry! It's just that your info says

So i didn't take it seriously!

What didn't you take seriously?

(Tried your suggestion, so let's see if I receive a notification).
October 6, 2009 12:31:13 PM

It says
Quote:

Resident Authority Core i7 and Core 2 Temperatures
Apprentice
More Information

* Member configuration
October 6, 2009 12:51:31 PM

There are many long-time members who have this same incept date, which was the result of a software screw up upgrade in June `07.

If you're refering to my APPRENTICE :fou:  ranking, I'm among a handful who were screwed re-classified :pfff:  by the new ranking system. :heink: 

And no, I wasn't notified of your post, but it was worth a try, thank you. :sol: 
October 6, 2009 1:05:39 PM

I didn't mean your ranking "APPRENTICE" as I'm made my "Regular" in 2 months! And i only need another 1300 points for the "Veteran" ranking! I hope they don't make an update when i reach it :lol: 
I noticed the * Joined : Tue Jan 01, 1970 thing with a lot of members so i just decided not to rely on the info thing..
Have you changed your main email address after you joined? (3 years is a lot of time!) And was the notification system functioning when you first joined and tolerated it till now or is it a new bug?
Edit| Also visit http://www.tomshardware.com/membres/?action=manageProfi... And make sure that Automatic email notification field is set to Yes.... |---

(Sorry for language)
Medo
October 6, 2009 1:17:32 PM

Wow,

Well, this does seem to be a tricky one. I will report it. Hopefully we can find something.

Justin
October 6, 2009 2:52:12 PM

psycho sykes said:
Have you changed your main email address after you joined? (3 years is a lot of time!) And was the notification system functioning when you first joined and tolerated it till now or is it a new bug?
Here's a hint from my opening post:
I have not recieved any email notifications from the numerous threads which I've posted answers on since September 24th. :ouch: said:
I have not recieved any email notifications from the numerous threads which I've posted answers on since September 24th. :ouch: 
I've had the same email address for many years, and no email glitches until September 24th.
October 6, 2009 9:57:25 PM

2 months and you're almost veteran? I've been here I-don't-know-how-long and am only getting to that stage; the ratio of your posts/points is ridiculous compared to mine and Compu's. I thought I got out pretty well off by the new ranking system, but geez.
October 7, 2009 2:11:14 AM

Remember that in that 2 months all of his posts are worth 4 points. Posts made prior to the points system are not worth 4 points, but some number we could never work out. I had only 2k points at the time of the switch, but now my points:p ost ratio is almost 1:1.

Side note: Becoming a veteran is easy. After that it's all uphill.
October 7, 2009 11:49:45 AM

@Computrix Have you checked the "Forum options" ??
^^ First.. You have more points than me! (I'm not considering the time here)
At the start i opened like 2 threads then another 4 and this wasn't a pleasing experience as I've been flamed instead of being answered and 2 of them have been 100% moded :( 
Also of what helped me is the best answer as i stay with the thread starter till he got everything answered (google is my friend by the way!) and after like 4 days an email is sent to him to remind him of choosing the best answer and i get it! Every best answer is (40+ points) and i got like 8 of them and waiting for the bronze 2!
I didn't know there was a system change because i only got the ADSL line 3 months ago...
The medals is what i need now :p 
@randomizer How is your post/point ratio is like 20/19 ?!!
I thought that moderators are part of the site team and not a hardly afforded rank! Please correct me here...
@randomizer again! Can you please re size your sig a bit.. (smaller!) Because it's.... Just re size it.. Okay! And what happened to My logic is undeniable?! It was very good and you got it before me!

Medo
October 7, 2009 7:48:58 PM

randomizer, I think he just questioned you...

You should show him what that kitteh can do.
October 7, 2009 9:41:05 PM

I have also had the same problem. I know my e-mail is valid, and my isp is not blocking them, or at least it does not go into my junk mail folder. I don't know the exact date it started, but the Sept 24 date that computronix mentioned seems about right.

I think some investigation by the forum tech crew is in order.
October 8, 2009 12:31:43 AM

Keep the thread on topic please, I know Comp really wants this fixed :D 
October 8, 2009 11:46:45 AM

^ I'm sorry but i can't get this exact sentence I know Comp really wants this fixed! Please explain...
@computrix.. Did you check the link i posted earlier for the forum options?
October 8, 2009 12:10:41 PM

I meant he wants the email notification bug fixed ;) 
October 8, 2009 12:15:05 PM

Ah! So @computrix.. I see you here online.. If you're reading this post please check the link in my (before-previous) post..
@randomizer.. Thanks for the sig thing (though it's a little smaller than i thought you would make it!) Try your My logic is undeniable again and I'll PM you a suitable graphics job! (Sorry but I'll keep the better one for my self later ;)  )

Medo
October 10, 2009 8:12:45 PM

16 days and counting ... anyone else having email notification problems?
October 11, 2009 1:39:02 AM

I am now, except its the opposite problem. I'm getting notifications for threads that don't have new replies, including PMs. In one case the "widget" at the top of the right column that shows threads with new replies had a thread which had no new replies but no matter how many times I viewed the thread it remained listed as having new replies. I ended up having to remove the flag to stop it showing up.

EDIT: I discovered that the aforementioned thread has a last post by a spammer who has had all their posts removed along with a ban. Such posts still show up in the "last post" column of a forum, but you can't view them so it is still considered unread.
October 12, 2009 4:04:00 AM

I just reset my flags.

Email notification is going nuts.

My Inbox just flooded... seriously.
October 12, 2009 4:04:01 PM

CompuTronix said:
16 days and counting ... anyone else having email notification problems?

Me too. Still no idea why, and it is not fixed. No sense in posting until it gets fixed.
October 12, 2009 6:13:14 PM

geofelt,

Sorry to see that you're in the same boat, but thanks for your post. At least I know that I'm not losing it! :pt1cable:  OK, that's two of us ... anybody else?

October 12, 2009 7:59:13 PM

One of the problems you can have is ISP related. For example one the US's largest ISP's (Cablevision - optonline.net will bounce any e-mail received from THG. According to them, one of the hops that the e-mails get routed through is in the US Database of Known Spammers. Since they system blocks any traffic from anyone on that list, I can not receive e-mails from THG on my regular ISP account. I have to use a web site based account and even though such is provided by the same ISP, this works.

So if the anyone on the hop list when you run a tracert is in this database, e-mail from THG is not going to happen if your ISP adopts this system of "protection".
October 16, 2009 2:59:44 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
One of the problems you can have is ISP related...
Jack,

I've checked with my ISP (Comcast) and I was assured that nothing is amiss.

Thanks for the info.

justinblue said:
Wow,

Well, this does seem to be a tricky one. I will report it. Hopefully we can find something.

Justin
Justin,

Any updates from our star developer at BoM?

Thanks,

October 17, 2009 1:55:54 AM

Justin,

Seriously we need this fixed. I had the Email flooding problem and I got so pissed off that I no longer receive email notifications as I turned it off. Also, kind of off topic, but the "Voted for Best Answer" emails come like 2 weeks late.

Btw, WHO are the Devs/Webmasters? I'd like them to speak here DIRECTLY.
October 19, 2009 6:41:11 AM

Like I said, I think it's an issue with the entire user preferences panel. The settings there seem to change themselves/resist change whenever I try to. My sig never shows up anymore, I get on and off emails, my profile changes won't save...
October 19, 2009 7:01:19 PM

frozenlead said:
Like I said, I think it's an issue with the entire user preferences panel... I get on and off emails...
I couldn't agree more. There are entirely too many resources devoted to introducing new "features" and not nearly enough devoted to fixing "bugs", which are multiplying like jack rabits.

Justin, is anything being done? The squeaky wheel will just get squeakier ... 25 days and counting! :heink: 
October 20, 2009 12:30:15 AM

^ Dosen't look like Justin has much power to change the Frenchie webmasters.....
October 20, 2009 4:39:02 AM

No, he's just frequently oppressed by senior management.
October 22, 2009 9:02:58 PM

Sorry Comp, you probably ain't going to get a reply from him....ever....
October 22, 2009 9:36:20 PM

OK, then here we go with thread #2 ... I'm going to do a no-no ... double post ... on purpose! :kaola: 
October 22, 2009 11:07:25 PM

CompuTronix said:
OK, then here we go with thread #2 ... I'm going to do a no-no ... double post ... on purpose! :kaola: 

Keep at it, I can't get a notice either. It's probably something dumb.
October 28, 2009 2:45:04 PM

I didn't get a notice for this post.. :ouch: 
October 28, 2009 7:11:44 PM

Psycho Sykes,

The following is Justin's answer from my other thread: No email notification - squeaky-wheel notice! - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32373-12-email-notifi...

Hey,

It turns out that comcast was blacklisting some of the IPs of our e-mail servers. They are confident this will be fixed asap. It sounds like they might have fixed it already!

Thanks for letting me know about this, even though it took some time to get solved

Justin said:
Hey,

It turns out that comcast was blacklisting some of the IPs of our e-mail servers. They are confident this will be fixed asap. It sounds like they might have fixed it already!

Thanks for letting me know about this, even though it took some time to get solved

Justin

Thanks to Justin and his team, this problem has been solved! :D  Perhaps you might inquire with your ISP.

Hope this helps,

Como :sol: 
October 29, 2009 10:43:12 AM

I got the notification for this one however!
Besides I live in Egypt and the ISP I'm working with doesn't have any sort of filters, even for inappropriate material...
Anyway I'm happy that it's now over and I hope you don't have any others :D 
They helped me before (via PM this time) so another +1..

Medo
October 29, 2009 2:29:41 PM

Good Luck! :sol: 
!