Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard or Memory problem on ASUS P8Z77-V LK

Last response: in Memory
November 3, 2012 1:33:47 PM

First of all, I apologize for then length of this post, but I've done a lot. I got a ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard and it came bundled with memory, namely Patriot PV38G160C9K (ddr3 8 gig). On the motherboard it is recommended to use the two blue slots, which when attempted did not allow post. We eventually tried 1 blue and 1 black in the first set of slots and got a post. After reading online, I learned the worst: that this is many times caused by a bent pin in the cpu socket. My worst fears were realized and I did the only thing I could - pin surgery. I got it to where it was looking very good and put it all back together.

Putting the memory back in the blue slots, the system would now post, but would not install windows. (stuck in reboot loop). I finally did a memtest and got errors. The next step was to try a friends corsair memory. His memory worked fine, although it was only 2 sticks @ 2 gigs each, so 4 gigs. We thought at this point it HAD to be my RAM, so we took it to his house and ran memtest, where it passed.

Finally last night I ended up putting my memory in the black slots. The blue slots I think are recommended first in case you want to overclock, so I assume the voltage is variable. The black slots appear to be working fine on my system and I ran memtest all night with no errors.

So - is my formerly bent pin causing problems still? My friend seems to think that it may be a compatibility issue and that the slots with the variable voltage don't get along with it. I would GREATLY appreciate your input. Right now windows installed and is running fine with the memory in the black slots.
a b } Memory
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 3, 2012 3:01:40 PM

I guess yes, the bent pins still causing problems. You can try RMA-ing the board.
November 3, 2012 3:08:54 PM

Naaa. If it isnt bothering you, Then everything would be ok.
Related resources
November 3, 2012 4:45:05 PM

alexoiu said:
I guess yes, the bent pins still causing problems. You can try RMA-ing the board.

If the bent pin is causing problems, why did my friends memory work fine in those slots? No errors from memtest.

More importantly to me is if I tested my memory for eight hours and 45 minutes in the grey slots, should I accept that as working and not worry about it?
a b } Memory
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 3, 2012 4:50:29 PM

Good point. But, why are the Patriot running in the black slots and not in the blue ones? Voltage, frequency differences, hard to say. But I still think that something's wrong there. It's up to you. What I "fear" is that if ever you'll want to fill all RAM slots, then you'll get issues. And the warranty might not help you then
November 3, 2012 5:09:13 PM

alexoiu said:
Good point. But, why are the Patriot running in the black slots and not in the blue ones? Voltage, frequency differences, hard to say. But I still think that something's wrong there. It's up to you. What I "fear" is that if ever you'll want to fill all RAM slots, then you'll get issues. And the warranty might not help you then

Unfortunately, Newegg considers all pin damage to be the customer's fault, therefore I cannot RMA the motherboard. My two options are either 1) to try to do more work straightening the pin (which may cause more damage) or 2) just use it as it is right now. I'm not planning on adding memory to the other slots anytime soon.
March 13, 2013 11:34:07 PM

Careful before you get excited with memory problems with the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. I have been working on the issue for 3 days. Probably 6 plus hours with Asus Tech. It was suggested, at times to be a CPU (Bent Pins), Motherboard, Windows 8 Pro OEM installation disk, bad hard drives oh yes and let’s not forget bad memory. All the above worked fine and was not the issue. I should mention I had started with the wrong memory which I have since replaced.

When using the absolute right memory sticks this is the problem:
-With 2 sticks installed I can enter Windows 8 Pro with no problem.
-When 4 sticks are in place, 32g, I can not get into Windows.

No one at Asus has been able to come up with a cure. I'm not shaking my fist at Asus, yet. They have been trying hard to help with my problem, no one can figure. As a matter of fact not many companies have ever spent as much time with me, on a single issue, as they have.

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO INSTALL 32g OF MEMORY on A Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe? I do love the board at 16g but I bought it for the 32g. Who can help me get the other 16??
Bob
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2013 8:10:23 AM

What is your PSU output?

There is a Mem OK! light between the last (first?) blue slot and the power connector, is it illuminated?

http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8...

According to the QVL (2013.02.26 update) the only Patriot ram listed for DDR3 1600 is -
PATRIOT PGD316G1600ELK(XMP) 32GB(8GBx4) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65V

Yes, we all know the QVL is never up to date but this update, is dated 26 Feb 2013. Perhaps consider using your friends ram in your motherboard.

As for bent pins, I'm an expert in fixing those and never had any problems except where the pin was actually right-angled and not just leaning like the Tower of Pisa, it's difficult to straighten a crooked dogs hind leg back to straight again.
June 27, 2013 7:17:27 AM

Hi guys.

Have pretty same problem.
Bought MB and 2x4 G Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (memory got from NewEgg in black friday abot 6 month ago)
When I installed CPU find that socket is damaed. About 4-5 pins. I give ro ASUS service in my country and they repair it.
But when I try install to blue slot any memory it not work. Now its work good wit 2x4 Kingston (blue) in grey slot.
Ae any hance to work G Skill in blue slots?
!