MSI GTX 570 - Why does it say PCIe x8 (No SLI)

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Hello, started off with one question and expanded into more, hehe... any help is greatly appreciated!!

I'm 99.9% sure the slot I have it in is x16 but it says x8 in the nVidia control panel(see img below). Is this wrong or am I just being a noob?

Also, a bit of a noob question... The driver version I have is 275.33 but on the MSI website they list driver 266.77

Should I downgrade to that driver?

While I'm asking noob questions... This card is the uber cooled Power Edition/OC version and his has a stock factory OC... The card runs really cool and the fans never go above the lowest setting. Could/Should I overclock it more? I got my 2600k running at 5ghz so why not turbo charge my gfx card right?

ALSO while I'm on that thought, the website talks about 2 fan profiles, Performance/Silent ... I don't see anything about this on the card or in the MSI software. The Afterburner program lets you make custom profiles on a graph but I cant find anything about the "Dual fan speed profiles–Performance/Silent."

Incase you can't see the 3 times I linked it in the text above, HERE is my GFX card.

What motherboard do you have ?
And no,you shouldn't downgrade the driver.And always install the latest version from Nvidia's site(not from the manufacture's site since they don't update the drivers as fast as Nvidia does)
OC'ng your GPU won't give you a huge boost in performance(unless you raise the clocks too much which may cause overheating/instability problems)

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry, I thought I added my rig stuff too my sig but its not showing up. Anyway, I have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe. I'm using the 2nd PCIe x16 slot, nothing else in the other 2.

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Yea, so I'm stupid, while posting on the MSi forum I was looking at the manual again and sure enough it says (at x8 mode) next to the 2nd slot.

I put it in the 2nd slot instead of the 1st for better airflow. In the first slot it blocks my side fan from cooling the heatsink for what used to be called the southbridge . Also I didn't want the back of the 570 card right up against the x-fi.

I really don't wanna put it in the first slot... how much is it costing me to run it at x8?

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

What is a high resolution? I'll be playing games at 1920x1080 in 2d and 3d.