The computer restarts once during a boot-up

vencent

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi,

I recently built a PC and I'm randomly getting a weird problem during a boot-up.
The computer works perfectly fine, and here's a discussion regarding my system's temperature I posted yesterday: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315411-28-2600k-5ghz-hyper-temperature
The temperature isn't good, but it's concluded that it isn't that bad. Plus, the highest temperature was reached through prime95 so the PC wouldn't hit that high in normal usages.

The system would never lock-up, restart or produce BSOD.
The problem is when I start the computer, before anything even shows up in the monitor (no signal) the computer would shutdown, as I can hear every fan stopping momentarily, and then restart again normally.
Again, this happens randomly as far as I know. I woke up this morning and encountered this problem again.

It's so random that I can't figure out why this is happening.

Here are my specs:

i7 2600K @4.5GHz 1.35v
Hyper 212+
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
GeForce 560 GTX Ti Twin Frozr II
Antec Earthwatts Green 650W

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
You haven't mentioned your motherboard, but i have the same aswell with my Asus board and I5 2500K. It seems to be wether or not it can succesfuly apply the overclock at 1st boot or not.

vencent

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Sorry, I forgot about it. It's Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1

I've seen a lot of people successfully overclocking with the same settings.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

+1

Also what you can do to make sure that you have a good overclock is that you might want to enable the load line Calibration, then leave the CPU Voltage and QPI Voltages, Memory, ETC on Auto and restart the computer, after the restart go to BIOS and see the value on the CPU, QPI, Memory, ETC, Bios should give you a 95% correct voltage calculation. Look at them and then set your voltage to those voltage settings, (NOTE: you might want to over voltage just a bit to make sure stability) ---> this is why I said 95% correct voltage---you will add in the 5% by over voltage because the system is on Idle and by you providing the 5% over voltage the system should be fine on full load.
Make sure run Prime95

vencent

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
My BIOS says the voltage is around 1.32, that's why i decided to go for 1.35.
Can you explain what a "correct" overclocking is?

I think I've done everything right, but I can't seem to know what's the cause.

I mean, I can use my computer just fine, but it just happens.
I can also run Prime95 without a trouble meaning overclocking be at least fine.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

make sure all wires and Molex cables and Power is connected correctly. To ensure there isn't any shortage.
and I will get back to you with another answer soon, it can be a number of things

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Hmm, make sure you update the BIOS, have you apply the thermal grease carefully and correct? Make sure the heatsink is on very good.
Check your memory as well and make sure the sticks are in correctly as well and compatible. Always used an Anti-Static wrist band with taking hardware in and out from the computer. Please ensure that the PSU isn't failing after loads when first booting up. Hope you are using the right SATA cable for the motherboard to the HDD or SSD.

Tested everything will take time but the MB isn't very much in disagreement with something in your system or BIOS

vencent

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Can you tell me what you did to fix it?
I feel a lot safer now. Please help me with this too. :)