problem with soul calibur

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

i just got my dreamcast and i'm wondering if there's not something
i'm doing wrong. i put the soul calibur disc in and it's fine up until
i tries to load the characters onto the field. the game apparently
hangs at the X vs. X screen and will not go any further. i can still
soft-boot it, though. any ideas on the problem? thanx.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> i just got my dreamcast and i'm wondering if there's not something
> i'm doing wrong. i put the soul calibur disc in and it's fine up until
> i tries to load the characters onto the field. the game apparently
> hangs at the X vs. X screen and will not go any further. i can still
> soft-boot it, though. any ideas on the problem? thanx.

Hmmmm, is this on the DC you said you were having problems on over in ASG,
or am I thinking of someone else?

Have you tried cleaning off the disc, checking for scratches, etc? Also,
have you used a lens cleaner for the DC?

Usually when freeze-ups occur, it's either some dust on the lens, or some
small smudge/scratch on the disc...though it could just be a faulty
disc(there were lots of them around the DC's launch).

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

BelPowerslave wrote:

> > i just got my dreamcast and i'm wondering if there's not something
> > i'm doing wrong. i put the soul calibur disc in and it's fine up until
> > i tries to load the characters onto the field. the game apparently
> > hangs at the X vs. X screen and will not go any further. i can still
> > soft-boot it, though. any ideas on the problem? thanx.
>
> Hmmmm, is this on the DC you said you were having problems on over in ASG,
> or am I thinking of someone else?
>
> Have you tried cleaning off the disc, checking for scratches, etc? Also,
> have you used a lens cleaner for the DC?
>
> Usually when freeze-ups occur, it's either some dust on the lens, or some
> small smudge/scratch on the disc...though it could just be a faulty
> disc(there were lots of them around the DC's launch).

Oh, one other thing..and I doubt this could be it...but do you have any other
controllers in the other ports, or any third party hardware plugged in?
Sometimes this can do stuff like that. I'd try it with an official Sega
controller, in port one...no VMU...

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

BelPowerslave wrote:

> > i just got my dreamcast and i'm wondering if there's not something
> > i'm doing wrong. i put the soul calibur disc in and it's fine up until
> > i tries to load the characters onto the field. the game apparently
> > hangs at the X vs. X screen and will not go any further. i can still
> > soft-boot it, though. any ideas on the problem? thanx.
>
> Hmmmm, is this on the DC you said you were having problems on over in ASG,
> or am I thinking of someone else?
>
> Have you tried cleaning off the disc, checking for scratches, etc? Also,
> have you used a lens cleaner for the DC?
>
> Usually when freeze-ups occur, it's either some dust on the lens, or some
> small smudge/scratch on the disc...though it could just be a faulty
> disc(there were lots of them around the DC's launch).

I don't recall Soul Calibur being one of the problem discs...

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> > Have you tried cleaning off the disc, checking for scratches, etc? Also,
> > have you used a lens cleaner for the DC?
> >
> > Usually when freeze-ups occur, it's either some dust on the lens, or some
> > small smudge/scratch on the disc...though it could just be a faulty
> > disc(there were lots of them around the DC's launch).
>
> I don't recall Soul Calibur being one of the problem discs...

I don't either, but with issues like that you don't want to rule it out just
yet... :)

Bel

--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"Here's a riddle: When is a croquette mallet like a billy club? I'll tell you;
whenever you want it to be."

- Cheshire Cat, American McGee's Alice

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

just download a backup copy off www.suprnova.org
burn the cd and voila.... It will work like new.

you own the game so the "illegal" copy is in fact legal. If any idiot
here jumps to some "anti-piracy" dispute tell him to **** *** :)

"Foxx (in a box)" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> i just got my dreamcast and i'm wondering if there's not something
> i'm doing wrong. i put the soul calibur disc in and it's fine up until
> i tries to load the characters onto the field. the game apparently
> hangs at the X vs. X screen and will not go any further. i can still
> soft-boot it, though. any ideas on the problem? thanx.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

>> > i just got my dreamcast and i'm wondering if there's not something
>> > i'm doing wrong. i put the soul calibur disc in and it's fine up until
>> > i tries to load the characters onto the field. the game apparently
>> > hangs at the X vs. X screen and will not go any further. i can still
>> > soft-boot it, though. any ideas on the problem? thanx.
>>
>> Hmmmm, is this on the DC you said you were having problems on over in ASG,
>> or am I thinking of someone else?
>>
>> Have you tried cleaning off the disc, checking for scratches, etc? Also,
>> have you used a lens cleaner for the DC?
>>
>> Usually when freeze-ups occur, it's either some dust on the lens, or some
>> small smudge/scratch on the disc...though it could just be a faulty
>> disc(there were lots of them around the DC's launch).
>>

>Oh, one other thing..and I doubt this could be it...but do you have any other
>controllers in the other ports, or any third party hardware plugged in?
>Sometimes this can do stuff like that. I'd try it with an official Sega
>controller, in port one...no VMU...

there were light scratches on it and i did resurface it with my disc
dr. (still the same effect). i used my laser lens cleaners (still the
same effect). i tried a different controller (same) and removed the
vmu and tremor pack (same except that the game couldn't even be reboot
from the controller at that point). everything i have is sega brand.
i just find it strange that i can controller reboot but it won't go
any futher into the game. i believe they had another copy up there,
but i don't want to have to go there if it's something stupid i'm
doing. other suggestions? thanx bel.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

> >Oh, one other thing..and I doubt this could be it...but do you have any other
> >controllers in the other ports, or any third party hardware plugged in?
> >Sometimes this can do stuff like that. I'd try it with an official Sega
> >controller, in port one...no VMU...
>
> there were light scratches on it and i did resurface it with my disc
> dr. (still the same effect). i used my laser lens cleaners (still the
> same effect). i tried a different controller (same) and removed the
> vmu and tremor pack (same except that the game couldn't even be reboot
> from the controller at that point). everything i have is sega brand.
> i just find it strange that i can controller reboot but it won't go
> any futher into the game. i believe they had another copy up there,
> but i don't want to have to go there if it's something stupid i'm
> doing. other suggestions? thanx bel.

Off the top of my head, and unfortunately, I don't have anything else to suggest.
One thing I will add though: A while back, I bought a bunch of games from a buddy
of mine who was (foolishly)selling his DC. One of those games was Skies of
Arcadia. Now, the thing is, it only boots about 50% of the time. I just have to
keep popping it in the DC and trying. It'll make it to the "Licensed by Sega"
part, then it resets the DC. It's the weirdest thing. The discs are immaculate, I
don't know what it could be. Point being, sometimes it's just weird...;)

If they allow for returns/exchanges, I'd go ahead and just tell them your story,
let them know that you really have tried to get it to work, maybe even see if they
have a DC they can try it in, and even if it works in their's, just let me know
it's not working in your's and you'd like to get a different copy, if at all
possible. :)

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

It may also be your Dreamcast. I had a copy of Iron Aces that refused to
load on one system, but the same copy would load on another.

sisko wrote:

> It may also be your Dreamcast. I had a copy of Iron Aces that refused to
> load on one system, but the same copy would load on another.

That's true. I bought Typing of the Dead a long while back on DC, and it loads
and plays fine on my DC...but upon letting a buddy borrow it, he says it won't
play at all on his(just keeps resetting after the license screen, much like SoA
does to me). He has a launch DC and I've got a Sega Sports Pack DC...

Bel