Sign in with
Your question

Getting faster ram vs filling up all ram slots

Last response: in Memory
November 3, 2012 5:30:37 PM

I currently have a Asus Z77 board with 4 ram slots.

Currently filled with G.Sillz Ripjaws 1600 DDR3 4GB x2.

MY current usage rarely goes over 65% ram usage.

To improve the performance of my PC, should I buy one more set of Ripjaws
and fill up all my dual channel slots or should I get a set of faster 8GB Ram?

What ram would you recommend?

CPU: i5 3570k @4.2GHz Turbo cooled with Antec 920 with Cougar Vortex HP Fans
GPU: Asus 660Ti Superclocked edition DCII
November 3, 2012 5:50:14 PM

You won't need anytime soon more RAM than you have atm. Faster RAM is the only thing that will make difference.
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:50:19 PM

You're not really going to see any improvement from either option, to be honest. Especially not in games.

But I guess if I were forced at gunpoint to choose one or the other for better performance, a higher-speed, lower-latency kit would be my choice.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2012 5:52:05 PM

What 2x4GB should I get? 2133? What brand and model?
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:52:43 PM

If your RAM usage rarely goes over 65%, you're not going to benefit from adding more RAM.

Switching to faster clock speed RAM typically only gets you 1%-2% better performance in real world use (i.e. not in benchmarks which stress RAM speed exclusively).

Save your money for a new system in a couple years. If you haven't yet, switch your HDD to a SSD. That is by far the biggest bang-for-the buck speed improvement you can make on a computer.
m
l
November 3, 2012 6:28:41 PM

Already with Sandisk Extreme SSD, I want to get a 240GB one I am using 120GB, do I have to reinstall everything when I get a new SSD and redo all my settings or can I just somehow transfer the system over?
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:57:26 PM

You can duplicate the 120 GB drive to the 240 GB using something like Acronis (pay) or Paragon Backup (free - they've modified the free version in the last 2 years so I dunno if it can still do this). Worst case you can boot off a Linux live CD and use dd. Once it's copied to the 240 GB drive, simply increase the size of the boot partition to fill the entire drive.
m
l
!