Sign in with
Your question

Need some help figuring out what to do about OS and HD...

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2011 5:24:49 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a few parts away from completing a new build (we'll call it 2011 build) and I don't know what to do about an OS and HD. I'll provide some facts below...

I have a 600(ish) GB WD HD on my current PC (2007 PC) with Windows 7 Pro on it (currently about 300 GB free space).

I own a full retail version of Windows 7 Pro (not home or ultimate).

I have a 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint HD that we're currently using as kind of like how people would normally use an external HD (I have a special adapter for it) for...keeping pics and videos on it.

I plan on letting my girl use the 2007 PC so we can game together.

I do plan to get a 120(ish) GB SSD for the 2011 PC in addition to w/e HD I end up using.

Now for the questions...

1.) Do I need to buy a separate OEM Windows OS, or can I use my full retail version on my 2011 PC as well as the 2007 PC (and still get updates on both)?

2.) If I do need to buy a new Windows OS, should I just get the home version (it's cheaper, but will I/she miss anything from Pro that we'd regret not having from Home version?) and put it on the 2007 PC?

3.) Is Windows 8 coming out soonish (like by April 2012?), and if so, should I just wait for that?

4.) Should I just get a new HD for the 2011 PC or commandeer the Samsung 1TB? I'm thinking the free 300 GB won't last very long for pics and vids. I think adding it to the 2007 PC (in raid somehow?) would be best (my girl handles all that stuff).

5.) Assuming I have to get a new 1TB HD and Windows 7 OEM Home version...can I somehow clone all the info from my 2007 PC's 600(ish) GB HD onto the new 1 TB HD (for the 2011 PC), and then put W7Home on the 600(ish) GB HD?

Hopefully you can kind of get the meaning of what I'm trying to figure out...I think my wording is kind of awful.

Thanks,
-TG

More about : figuring

October 10, 2011 1:05:38 AM

I know there are smart helpful people on here somewhere.
October 10, 2011 2:42:36 AM

1.) Do I need to buy a separate OEM Windows OS, or can I use my full retail version on my 2011 PC as well as the 2007 PC (and still get updates on both)?

You can only legally use your os on one computer. Legally, Supposedly, even if you throw out your old system you're not supposed to reinstall it on your new system. When you register your system microsoft copies your system's configuration and that's all you can use it on. (I changed a motherboard one time and when I reinstalled the os I had to call and explain what happened and why I made the change to be able to re-register with windows.) You can get one HERE for only $100 but no microsoft support.

2.) If I do need to buy a new Windows OS, should I just get the home version (it's cheaper, but will I/she miss anything from Pro that we'd regret not having from Home version?) and put it on the 2007 PC?

That's fine, I doubt you will notice the difference. Unless you often go in and tweak windows systems configurations.

3.) Is Windows 8 coming out soonish (like by April 2012?), and if so, should I just wait for that?

No sense in waiting. When it comes out there won't be many differences from 7.

4.) Should I just get a new HD for the 2011 PC or commandeer the Samsung 1TB? I'm thinking the free 300 GB won't last very long for pics and vids. I think adding it to the 2007 PC (in raid somehow?) would be best (my girl handles all that stuff).

(A): Buy new. You can get 1 TB drives now for $60/$70 bucks, (used and/or refurbished for less). - (B) If you put it in raid, (your motherboard has to support raid configs), You will lose everything on it as a raid setup wipes and formats the drives during setup. You can add it internally as a second drive for storage, as long as we're talking about sata drives, and that would be best.

5.) Assuming I have to get a new 1TB HD and Windows 7 OEM Home version...can I somehow clone all the info from my 2007 PC's 600(ish) GB HD onto the new 1 TB HD (for the 2011 PC), and then put W7Home on the 600(ish) GB HD?

Yes you can clone it, Using something like Acronis True Image, but you can only clone whats in the 2007 on to a new, blank drive, (don't install windows on it first). and then you will have to leave it in the 2007. Cloning copies EVERYTHING to the new drive including device drivers needed for start up and master boot record, also needed for startup. If you put it in a different machine it usually doesn't work. If you want after starting the system on the new copied 1 tb hdd you can wipe the 600 and put it in the new 2011 build, and install the newly purchased os on that.

Hope I didn't miss anything.
Related resources
October 10, 2011 3:25:19 AM

Wow, sounds like my full retail version was a huge waste of money.

Also, are you saying that any OEM version I would get would not get updates/support from microsoft?

What I think I'd like to do is re-register my pro with microsoft (it is going to a new mobo) for the 2011 PC (and new HD...or actually it would be going on the SSD right?), get an OEM home version for the 2007 (assuming it will be updated/supported), and copy any wanted files from the 2007 to the Samsung storage drive before reformatting the 2007 and putting the new home version on that drive. Does that sound right, or am I just getting even more confused?
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2011 4:15:17 AM

You get full updates but no support from MS with OEM versions. OEM are exactly the same as full except that you buy the version you want (32 or 64 bit only one version on the OEM cd) and the MS support.
October 10, 2011 4:44:10 AM

OK, so when you say MS support you're saying like if something goes wrong and they help you troubleshoot or something?...I don't think I'd care about that...just want to make sure I'm getting all the auto-updates (I thought when he said support he was talking about updates, but apparently not?).

Is there anything about MS support that we would really need/want?
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2011 4:48:43 AM

Full retail allows to move it from computer to computer, no restrictions on the number of times you can install it. You can still only have it on ONE computer however. Other then that I agree with what has been said.
October 10, 2011 3:13:04 PM

No, your retail version is/was not a waste of money. You will want to install it on the new build. It is a 64 bit full retail version of win 7 pro correct? If that is the case you will receive updates and support, (support being you call microsoft and explain your problem and they will walk you through the steps to TRY to fix it), for that operating system when you register it. The new build's hardware will most likely support 64 bit computing so make sure your OS software is also 64 bit so you can take advantage of the extra memory that allows. So the new build will contain the SSD, with the OLD 64 bit full retail version of win 7 pro, Correct? And you can add your portable 1 tb hdd as an internal storage device, unless you want to still carry it around.

Quote:
I have a 600(ish) GB WD HD on my current PC (2007 PC) with Windows 7 Pro on it (currently about 300 GB free space
I own a full retail version of Windows 7 Pro (not home or ultimate).

These are the same? 1 and only version you currently own right? (Sorry for being dense I'm just trying to be sure).

For the old computer I would purchase a new 1 TB drive and an OEM version of win 7 home. Is the hardware 64bit capable on the 2007? Probably but need to ask. You will get updates once you register it but can't call MS for help, Internet usually helps more anyway. Temporarily unplug the sata drive cable from your 600 GB drive, Install the new 1 TB drive and then install windows. After installation is complete you can then go in and plug the old 600 back in and you will have all of the information still intact. Second option is if you don't want the information on the 600 then just format and install on that. Won't even need to buy a new drive for it. Third option is to plug the 600GB drive into the new (2011) build after it's complete and copy all the information from that drive to the installed 1TB drive. You won't be able to get everything from the operating system because some files will be locked but you can get all the stored files, pictures, songs and stuff like that that you put/stored on it. If you go that route make it easier on yourself and put all that stuff in one file to start with, and when you go to copy it over to the 1 TB you will know where it is and you can just copy and paste the 1 file.

And the final option, (probably the best and easiest) - just leave the 2007 build alone, everything still works fine right? Let her use it for gaming with you. Buy the SSD, a 1TB drive and the OEM version of win 7 64 bit home and put them all in the new machine. Install windows on the SSD for speed and use the TB for storage. Save as much of your downloaded stuff and pics and all on the 1 TB as you can because the SSD will fill up quickly if you're not paying attention. And you still have your homemade portable to carry around. You can even connect it to the old machine and save your keepsakes on that and get them off the 600 to clear up some space.
!