Sign in with
Your question

Trident X - P8Z77-v Pro compatibility problems

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2012 7:22:20 PM

Hi everyone -

I have an Asus P8Z77-v Pro motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...), and a G.Skill Trident X 2x8gb memory kit (http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=550). On G.Skill's site, it says that the memory is compatible with the motherboard, so I took the site's word for it and ordered the kit. But upon receiving the motherboard, I found that the memory kit is not listed in the motherboard's list of compatible memories. Still, I plugged in the memory and attempted to boot up the bios (it doesn't have an OS yet). But the LED on the motherboard which tells you if the memory doesn't work turned on. This motherboard has a MemOK! button which attempts to reconcile any incompatibilities with the memory, but the process didn't work. (I got a Patriot Viper 3 memory kit free with the motherboard (http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodlin...), which also isn't on the compatible list, and I wasn't able to get that to work either.)

My question is, is it possible to get the setup to work with the components I have now, or do I have to buy a new memory kit?
(also, would updating the BIOS help?)
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
November 3, 2012 7:26:34 PM

Hi, The ASUS QVL list is not always updated, so I don't think it's a memory issue. What CPU do you use? And yes, depending on the CPU, the board might need a BIOS upgrade.
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:29:01 PM

I am using an intel i7-3770K. Could it be that the CPU is damaged??
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
November 3, 2012 7:35:02 PM

The CPU is supported by the board. Have you connected the 8-pin EATX cable? Does the CPU fan spin?
If yes, it might be good to test the board outside of the case having only one RAM stick installed.
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:51:02 PM

alexoiu said:
The CPU is supported by the board. Have you connected the 8-pin EATX cable? Does the CPU fan spin?
If yes, it might be good to test the board outside of the case having only one RAM stick installed.

I have plugged in both the main power supply and the supplemental cpu power supply. When I turn on the system, the cpu fan does spin.
Unfortunately, I have already tried testing only one RAM stick at a time, to no avail. The entire testing process has been done outside the case. The CPU is supported by the board, but when I test the board, the something-is-wrong-with-the-CPU light turns on for just a half second before that one turns off and the something-is-wrong-with-the-Memory light turns and stays on. I am not sure if this is normal.
m
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 559 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
November 3, 2012 7:58:32 PM

It's normal for the CPU led to go on and off. It's the system's test. It's not normal for memory to remain lit. If you've tried each slot and each RAM, then I suggest uninstalling the CPU and checking the socket for bent pins.
m
l
November 3, 2012 8:00:40 PM

Thanks, I will try that. Right now I am using the BIOS-flashback function to update the BIOS just to see what that does. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall the CPU and check for bent pins.
(I'll update this thread once I solve this problem, or have any further questions.)

Thanks a lot.
m
l
!