Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there a way to see if my video card is capping out?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2011 4:04:49 AM

Much like how Task Manager shows how much CPU and RAM is being used, Is there anything that displays how much GPU?

I need it, because I just installed GTA 4, And noticed at high quality, I get 0 fps. Literally i'm getting 1 frame per 2-3 seconds. I cranked down the video settings to lowest, And I'm still only getting about 18-20 fps. My processor is constantly at around 98% with the game running, And I have the game set on highest priority for my CPU. Now, I played GTA 4 on medium settings with a Nvidia 8800 512 GTS and got decent frames. Some time ago, I upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 260, And this is the card that can't run GTA 4 for some reason. So, I really don't know if it's my processor dying (If they can even slowly die), Or if this Nvidia 260 is just worse than an old school 8800, Which I don't think is the case. My drivers are up to date, And nothing has changed in my computer except for a new video card since I last played the game. Anyway, Any information on this would be helpful.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00 GHZ (Piece of ***, I know.)
4 GB RAM

TL;DR: Where do I find how much GPU I'm using with a game running?

More about : video card capping

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 4:13:36 AM

GTAIV was a console port brought over to PC.They messed up in that and wrote a lot of bad code along the way.So even on the best machines they can't get over 30FPS.GTAIV is just a very poorly coded console port and no patch released has ever fixed the issue and i'm not even sure if it can be fixed.

But to answer your question you can download GPU-Z.It shows all of the things about your GPU and the activity logger.
August 9, 2011 4:18:26 AM

purple stank said:
GTAIV was a console port brought over to PC.They messed up in that and wrote a lot of bad code along the way.So even on the best machines they can't get over 30FPS.GTAIV is just a very poorly coded console port and no patch released has ever fixed the issue and i'm not even sure if it can be fixed.

But to answer your question you can download GPU-Z.It shows all of the things about your GPU and the activity logger.

It still raises the question of why my old 8800 is outperforming my 260. I'm actually baffled by how little of a difference i've been seeing since I upgraded from my 8800. But, Thanks for the GPU-Z, It's basically what I'm looking for, Although I can't find where it shows how much I'm currently using. Is there a spot for that somewhere in here?
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 4:26:18 AM

It's towards the upper part of the middle.It says "GPU Load".

It's weird, the game recignizes different PC configurations and componets. differently.Some systems will perform better even if their specifications are worse than another PC.

A very poorly coded game like I said before.

m
l
August 9, 2011 4:34:06 AM

purple stank said:
It's towards the upper part of the middle.It says "GPU Load".

It's weird, the game recignizes different PC configurations and componets. differently.Some systems will perform better even if their specifications are worse than another PC.

A very poorly coded game like I said before.

The GPU load on full quality never went above 30%, So you must be right about the game being built horribly. Also, The benchmark test said my average processor usage was 97%. That can't be healthy. = P

Thanks a bunch for the information, bro. I'll be using this GPU program forever.
m
l
August 9, 2011 4:37:11 AM

Best answer selected by Nightly1029.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 4:39:19 AM

Well that Athlon 64 isn't helping none but I doubt it would increase a whole lot if you got a new CPU.Although it is possible.

Your Welcome.Another great tool for monitoring and tweaking GPU's is MSI Afterburner.Although I wouldn't touch any settings until you know what your doing as you can cause damage if used improperly.Just use the monitoring tools.
m
l
!