Upgrading phone - want some advice - and what is Bluetooth?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
September 29, 2004 2:40:59 AM

Hi,

I have a motorola V300 - contract due for renewal so an upgrade is
available - I have not used the v300's full functionality but would like a
new phone if there's one going....

But.... what is a better or updated phone from this? - Are there any sites
giving simple guides and comparisions?

And.... most importantly -what is Bluetooth - and will it benefit me? (given
that no matter what network I am on I still don't get a reliable signal in
my area)...

Advice and links appreciated - (and please don't post any flames for me so
silly not to have had or known much of Bluetooth)

Thanks
Paul

SoftSell
www.brownpaper.co.uk
www.wickedway.co.uk
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 2:41:00 AM

www.phonescoop.com

www.bluetooth.org

> Thanks
> Paul
>
> SoftSell
> www.brownpaper.co.uk
> www.wickedway.co.uk
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 3:01:01 AM

Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a motorola V300 - contract due for renewal so an upgrade is
> available - I have not used the v300's full functionality but would like a
> new phone if there's one going....
>
> But.... what is a better or updated phone from this? - Are there any sites
> giving simple guides and comparisions?
>
> And.... most importantly -what is Bluetooth - and will it benefit me?
> (given that no matter what network I am on I still don't get a reliable
> signal in my area)...
>
> Advice and links appreciated - (and please don't post any flames for me so
> silly not to have had or known much of Bluetooth)

Bluetooth is a short-range wireless network standard intended to do
something akin to what USB or the Apple Desktop Bus do, but wireless
instead. The most common use with cell phones is to connect a wireless
headset. The benefit of Bluetooth in this regard is that since it's a
vendor-independent standard if you change phones your wireless headset will
work with the new one and vice versa. However this is not the only
use--for example you can use Bluetooth to connect a wireless keyboard to
your computer (this is what actually got me into Bluetooth--with a
conventional infrared wireless the keyboard interfered with the TV and
other devices with infrared remotes and with a conventional RF wireless
every time the kid across the street played with his radio controlled car
my keyboard went wonky--since Bluetooth is spread-spectrum it's relatively
immune to that sort of thing) and then connecting your cell phone to your
computer to synchronize the address book is almost trivial.

If you have a PDA you can go online with it via your cell phone using
Bluetooth, or synch it to your computer the same way.

There are numerous other types of Bluetooth device available (GPS for
example) that have varying degrees of utility.

While in general Bluetooth has no effect on cell-phone reception, in my case
it lets me use the cell phone in the house where I would be unable to do so
otherwise--I'm located in a cell-phone hole where the only place in the
house that I can get even one bar of signal is near a particular window
that is not conveniently located. So I can put the cell-phone charger
there and put the phone in the charger and then use it from anywhere in the
house with the Bluetooth headset.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Paul" <info@brownpaper.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I have a motorola V300 - contract due for renewal so an upgrade is
> available - I have not used the v300's full functionality but would like a
> new phone if there's one going....
>
> But.... what is a better or updated phone from this? - Are there any sites
> giving simple guides and comparisions?
>
> And.... most importantly -what is Bluetooth - and will it benefit me?
> (given
> that no matter what network I am on I still don't get a reliable signal in
> my area)...

Bluetooth, in a nutshell, is a wireless feature that allows you to connect
Bluetooth devices together without the need for cables. It really doesn't do
anything with respect to your cellular signal. One way to use a Bluetooth
phone is to connect it to a PDA or a computer (wirelessly) and then use the
phone to connect to the Internet. This assumes that you have a data capable
phone service. You can also use Bluetooth to send and recieve data between
the phone and a PDA/computer.

Cheers
TC