Sign in with
Your question
Solved

VGA to Display port.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2011 5:53:36 AM

Hello,
Can you go from a VGA graphics card to a Display port screen with an adapter?
you can go the other way around - from a display port card to a VGA screen with an adapter, but I've been doing the google and I can not see this question answered anywhere.

More about : vga display port

a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 5:42:10 PM

I don't believe that you can. As you stated, I do know you can go the opposite. I think it really might have to do with the analog to digital conversion, but someone may be able to clarify that.

Is there are reason you need to go from VGA to Display Port? Your card doesn't have a digital out (even DVI)? Your monitor/screen doesn't have digital in?
August 9, 2011 7:43:19 PM

Yeah, somone brought a new screen for an old PC.
Screen only has display port, PC only has VGA.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 11:38:04 AM

The easiest fix might be to get a cheap graphics card...sometimes with rebate, you can get them for $10 or less...they'd have DVI, HDMI, and VGA (sometimes DP). You could use a DVI to DP converter for sure with that.
August 11, 2011 6:02:46 AM

This is true, but I'd like a difinitive answer for future reference.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 11:19:31 AM

Just looking a little further...you can get a VGA to DVI or VGA to HDMI converters, so theoretically, you might be able to find one. Even if not, you could convert to DVI, then put a DVI to display port adapter.

The bad news is that the converters are a little bulky (certainly not cable sized) and cost between $50 and $100. I checked monoprice and found a few.

Must be the analog to digital conversion.

Seems like a video card would still be easiest and cheapest, though the other seems technically possible, if a bit expensive and cumbersome.
August 15, 2011 3:47:24 AM

Well thanks for the help - seems to me that the adapters are poorly labelled.
August 18, 2011 2:52:58 AM

Best answer selected by se5a.
!