Sign in with
Your question

Best PSU Brands

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2012 11:32:16 AM

I was wondering what are the best high end psu's and what are the best budget no-name'ish brands. I have been looking up sooo many brands and some sites say 1 no name is great and another says another is amazing. A list of them would be great thanks :) 

More about : psu brands

a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 11:51:19 AM

Best high end psu are made by Corsair,Sesonic,Antec,Enermax,XFX.Depends where you live , in Europe low end but good psu's are Raidmax,Recom.
m
l
January 9, 2012 11:57:13 AM

the best one is COOLER MASTER!
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 12:08:00 PM

Any site you go to will have their 'favorite' PSUs. Personally I am going to say that with power supplies you will get what you pay for, and the quality is generally in the weight of the PSU.
In my most humble (and relatively authoritative) opinion on the topic (though this is not my particular strong suit), I would say that anything over $1 per 10W (ie $40 for 400W, $75 for 750W) is a fairly safe bet. Spec wise PC Power and Cooling is the technical 'Best' when it comes to the cleanest power, and longevity; but you pay for that, and they are not the 'sexiest' looking PSUs as they are intended for business machines, not gamers. OCZ owns PCPnC, and has benefited in their quality from the purchase (they use to have terrible PSUs, but not anymore). Corsair, CoolerMaster, and other 'Big Name' brands are all quite good as well, and I would not shy away from any of them if they are at a good price.

When purchasing just remember 5 things:
1) weight is good
2) 120+mm fans are a requirement as silence is golden, and it is not hard to have your PS be the quietest device in the computer.
3) use a system power calculator and buy a PSU that matches your build. When too large a power supply dies it is more likely to take parts out with it, if too small then your system won't run properly.
4) Dont buy cheap; Your power supply is your last, and often best, line of defense between bad power and your parts. Many computers never run quite right because some silly teenager with too much money buys a crappy 1000W (hard to believe, but they do exist) power supply for a 500W system, instead of a smaller power supply to fit their needs of better quality.
5) A good power supply is no excuse to not invest in some form of line conditioner or UPS. If you live in an area prone to high winds or electrical storms then line conditioning is more important than a high end power supply (though both are quite important).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 12:15:02 PM

sosofm is right, the best PS will be different depending on your geographical location, as some 'local' brands are better than the global ones. My suggestions were based on US consumption
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:18:19 PM

yea i forgot to put in us based market my bad
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:25:06 PM

Corsair the best, no doubt
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 12:27:17 PM

A lot of Corsair high end psu's are Seasonic inside.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 12:32:41 PM

There are good "unknown label" brands out there too like LEPA and Cougar, but sosofm and CadenV are right with their brand recommendations. I got a PCP&C Silencer II 950W on sale and it runs like a charm. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, OCZ, and Coolermaster are all good brands. Buy more than your bare needs to have the PSU run at about 70-80% efficiency for the best results: the PSU is not stressed and still has headroom for extreme draw at that usage.
m
l
a c 85 ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 1:23:25 PM

I prefer to think of PSUs as who made them as well. XFX and Corsair don't make any PSUs. They simply buy them from others and sell under their own name. If you can find out who made the PSU that will give you a good clue if its a good one or not. Channel Well Technologies (CWT), Seasonic, Delta, Enermax, etc all make good PSUs.

And then there are those who couldn't make a good PSU if their life depended on it. Deer anyone? If you are looking at a PSU and can't make up your mind if its a good idea, look up the OEM and see what you can find.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 1:34:13 PM

sosofm said:
Best high end psu are made by Corsair,Sesonic,Antec,Enermax,XFX.Depends where you live , in Europe low end but good psu's are Raidmax,Recom.

Raidmax is an international brand, thier "low end" power supplies like to go pop !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA
m
l
January 9, 2012 1:56:26 PM

is the kingwin lazer series good?
m
l
a c 85 ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 2:30:41 PM

Yes.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 3:29:14 PM

The truth is , you need luck when buy any type of electronic devices. You can buy an verry good brand and in 1 or 2 days you need to RMA.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 3:30:36 PM

sosofm said:
The truth is , you need luck when buy any type of electronic devices. You can buy an verry good brand and in 1 or 2 days you need to RMA.

+ 1
m
l
January 9, 2012 5:32:35 PM

which would you guys choose a Kingwin Lazer 660W or a Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
m
l
a c 85 ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 9:30:43 PM

The Rosewill. Decent little unit, more efficient then the Kingwin.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2012 9:56:30 PM

there are some under rated brand which are good like

silverstone
xclio
aerocool (the strike X are good)
2the max
ama axe
rosewill
topower
fsp
In win
Sparkle Computer(not sparkle power)
Huntkey (the newer series are much better but just confirm on their older models)
m
l
January 9, 2012 11:18:25 PM

try something from dynapower usa :]
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2012 1:28:00 AM

AdrianPerry said:
Here's a fairly accurate list of the quality of PSU's. Certainly use this as a guideline when choosing what PSU brand/model you select. JonnyGuru is also a fantastic PSU review site.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

That list is a tad old, and under rates some of the current top contenders. Its also a bit self contradictory as it states that Delta is to be avoided then lists several re-branded Delta units in the top tier.

Here are a couple links that I found helpful:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-oem-manufact... (repeat of an above link, but skipped to the "good part") and
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2917.ht...

The 80+ Certification is a good place to start. The better the rating (in general) the better the unit. I recently was in the market for a new PSU, and settled on a Rosewell 750W Capstone unit, which is an 80+ Gold rated power supply. It is a rebranded Super Flower unit, and has a pretty positive review on the Jonnyguru site. I am a bit happier with it than I am with my Antec HCG-750 psu which is Built by Delta.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 10, 2012 9:42:13 AM

pcnut88 said:
try something from dynapower usa :]

Still haven't seen any reviews, and I think Newegg has dropped them altogether, doesn't seem to be any reason to consider them.
m
l
January 12, 2012 7:48:55 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Here's a fairly accurate list of the quality of PSU's. Certainly use this as a guideline when choosing what PSU brand/model you select. JonnyGuru is also a fantastic PSU review site.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

+1 to that site(jonnyguru). They really put PSU's to the test and are very informative about every aspect of the PSU's they review.
m
l
January 13, 2012 1:46:29 AM

Seasonic makes the best , in the USA anyway, but they don't have a huge variety. Other good options are Corsair and Antec versions that are made by Seasonic but with slightly different specs.

I use the term "Best" because Seasonic tend to have the best efficiency, heat, ripple, jitter, loaded, and unloaded characteristics, all the while using nothing but the best name-brand parts for their caps and going overkill.
m
l
November 2, 2012 12:47:48 AM

Lepa is good too.
m
l
February 14, 2014 7:05:32 AM

CaedenV said:
Any site you go to will have their 'favorite' PSUs. Personally I am going to say that with power supplies you will get what you pay for, and the quality is generally in the weight of the PSU.
In my most humble (and relatively authoritative) opinion on the topic (though this is not my particular strong suit), I would say that anything over $1 per 10W (ie $40 for 400W, $75 for 750W) is a fairly safe bet. Spec wise PC Power and Cooling is the technical 'Best' when it comes to the cleanest power, and longevity; but you pay for that, and they are not the 'sexiest' looking PSUs as they are intended for business machines, not gamers. OCZ owns PCPnC, and has benefited in their quality from the purchase (they use to have terrible PSUs, but not anymore). Corsair, CoolerMaster, and other 'Big Name' brands are all quite good as well, and I would not shy away from any of them if they are at a good price.

When purchasing just remember 5 things:
1) weight is good
2) 120+mm fans are a requirement as silence is golden, and it is not hard to have your PS be the quietest device in the computer.
3) use a system power calculator and buy a PSU that matches your build. When too large a power supply dies it is more likely to take parts out with it, if too small then your system won't run properly.
4) Dont buy cheap; Your power supply is your last, and often best, line of defense between bad power and your parts. Many computers never run quite right because some silly teenager with too much money buys a crappy 1000W (hard to believe, but they do exist) power supply for a 500W system, instead of a smaller power supply to fit their needs of better quality.
5) A good power supply is no excuse to not invest in some form of line conditioner or UPS. If you live in an area prone to high winds or electrical storms then line conditioning is more important than a high end power supply (though both are quite important).

silence is over rated not golden. big silent fans hardly move air. they are crap. I'd much rather have a loud fan moving a ton of air. if it's loud you know it's working. quiet fans just do not work. honest
m
l
April 8, 2014 7:06:43 PM

Is CoolMax a decent brand for PSU?
m
l
April 23, 2014 5:10:42 AM

It's on eggexpert's "change immediately if you have it" list, so I should think not.
m
l
June 13, 2014 11:18:56 PM

ffejster25 said:

silence is over rated not golden. big silent fans hardly move air. they are crap. I'd much rather have a loud fan moving a ton of air. if it's loud you know it's working. quiet fans just do not work. honest

Im sorry to bring back a dead topic but this is just so wrong...Silence can only be over rated when its the same size fan. I quitter 120mm fan vs a louder 120mm fan will most likely move less air since to become quitter its probably running at a lower rpm making it move less air. However when you state "big silent fans hardly move air. they are crap" you couldn't sound any more incompetent. A big silent 200mm fan running at 700-800 rpm thats "quit" is gonna move a lot more air then a 120mm fan running at 1300rpm. Not only that, you won't hear it. 'But then how do i know it works?' Check the bios, look at the fan, get a fan controller, download freeware, but software, the mobo probably came with some sort of fan controlling software, etc. Now to make the leap a little less, a 140mm fan running at 1000rpm is still more than likely gonna push a considerable amount more air than a 120mm at 1200-1300 rpm while being quitter. Of course the shape of the blades as well as the fan comes into play but say the only factor is the size of the fan (12mm vs 140mm vs 200mm etc) and the bigger fans will run quitter and move more air.
m
l
July 21, 2014 8:52:46 AM

PSU H3LL, (my opinion, 59 years experience)
First off, the review at most stores, are just rumor and wild guessing. and OLD. (don't read them)

I'll presents some facts.
A: they get redesigned constantly , some every 3 months, so.... what's the point of comparing apples

to oranges, nada.

B: Why not read independent labs testing..... ?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/chieftec...

C: keep in mind no lab is going to test, all 500+ PSU's made every 3 months. (never; ever.).

In a world like this, all you can do is, buy the top name brands, and avoid the bottom fishing.
a $15 PSU, is not going to work for you....

D:
The first thing to read is Mr. M.Allens page.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psumultirail/multirails.h...

what Allen is saying is this.

no PSU truly states it's topology (not even a block diagram) nor their true spec and dependancies.
what counts big time, are the true specs. An many actually lie to get sales, FACT. (2 rails and 1, or total watts dead wrong, or ?)

1: load regulation. (voltages, at all currents and surges)
2: max, current. both static, and transient and continuous power, and with other rails maxed out!
3: load dump spec. (regulation) Draw 20 amps, then drop the load, what does it do?.
4: line regulation (input noise that shows up, on the output)
5: noise on all lines, be that PWM hash noise, or load related noise. or? input caused.
6: how good is the above spec. when the ambient air temp is at 125 degrees, F ?
sure more specs there are, but I stop.

What you can do, is buy top brand names, that has the good parts stated in xbit labs, so well. (top chips inside, hint)

I've seen PSU, that have no protections at all, no current limits. no overvoltage clamp , no

overheating shut down circuits.
What you get is a crap shoot (a game). and is a moving target, so any names and numbers are all just
a wasted, effort. (unless tested and is current)

PARTS DENSITY. (space is limited by ATX spec)
SEEN ONE PsU , A Hot running resistor inside, melted the side of a large CAP. BOOM, smoke out.
it was too close. a same other PSU, this resistor is bent far from cap and never failed
all from pure luck of assembly.
PSU's that are not run in the factory burn-in room to me, are just wild cards (quality is engineered !) Dynamic burn-in ,it's called.

retired ET.
PS:
(Allen is correct, if you parallel 2 (TRUE) independent rail regulators together, you will not get a nice day... called bucking 2o outputs. bad...
what they do is fight each other, my point is that your supply don't really have this, or the cables would be color coded and warning labels.... dont.........
So many, just lie about the rails to get that warm and fuzzy feeling.
Rail counts don't mater, what matters is PERFORMANCE and Dependencies. (all at once)
m
l
July 21, 2014 8:59:04 AM

matt
how is PSU or fans off topic or too .old, its forever. this topic is a life time topic, if there ever was....
just these things matter, at least. (off topic but is if talking PSU fans) no matter ,fans are fans. and air pump it is.
CFM and noise.
cubic feet a minute.
both are your decision.
the CFM is to keep the case air temps, low enough, at all times. or you risk burning up a nice CPU.
use 2 case fans so if one fails or the vent is blocked, your good. Use cases with extra vents.
best fans are ball bearing fans.
saw one maker hawking that (12,000 mile away south) but was plastic bearings. imagine that.
real balls. and double is best.
I only run PSU with the huge fans, high CFM and quiet .
m
l
July 21, 2014 9:13:44 AM

why is price your goal, OP
why not performance and life .?
or better, state full system spec. and future needs, 2 fast video cards. ? 5 HDD.? or ?
I run 700w supplies now, sure 650 too.
Ive deployed 100s and not one has failed, (sure fans but we replace those) no fan lasts for ever but dual balls seem too
by my experience,
try this one.

a Corsair.
m
l
!