• Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • PowerColor
  • MSI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2011 6:51:25 AM

I'm deciding on which one would be a good deal based on performance.

More about : powercolor 6970 msi lightning 6970

a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 7:44:38 AM

Sadly, I'd go with neither. MSI is gonna die (and take something else with it), and powercolor has horrible customer service. Go with the XFX, or ASUS (Sapphire in a pinch).
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 7:48:54 AM

The MSI model is pre-OC'd so it's slightly faster than the reference 6970 cards.
It all comes to price difference,if it's less than $10,then go with the MSI one otherwise,go with the powercolor card
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2011 3:52:53 PM

IH8U said:
Sadly, I'd go with neither. MSI is gonna die (and take something else with it), and powercolor has horrible customer service. Go with the XFX, or ASUS (Sapphire in a pinch).

What do you know about MSI dying? What is it taking with it? I would be interested to know if there is any news out there on this. Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 9:02:13 AM

I've personallyhad 3 MSI motherboards that died (one ancient T-Bird, one dual Opty Server board, and an Athlon 64 board), they took out video cards and processors every time. Had 2 MSI video cards die, they took out a PCI-X slot, and 1 VGA slot respectively. Also pray to god you never have to call in a warranty with them, Powercolor is only slightly worse. MSI is terrible with driver updates, and frequently has buggy BIOS'es (their coders suck). They are the Deer/Solytech (horrid PSU manufacturer) of the motherboard industry.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 9:12:59 AM

IH8U said:
I've personallyhad 3 MSI motherboards that died (one ancient T-Bird, one dual Opty Server board, and an Athlon 64 board), they took out video cards and processors every time. Had 2 MSI video cards die, they took out a PCI-X slot, and 1 VGA slot respectively. Also pray to god you never have to call in a warranty with them, Powercolor is only slightly worse. MSI is terrible with driver updates, and frequently has buggy BIOS'es (their coders suck). They are the Deer/Solytech (horrid PSU manufacturer) of the motherboard industry.

aren't their BIOSes made by AMI?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 9:15:40 AM

Yes, however it is up to MSI to tell them that it is buggy. And to send a fix (BIOS flash), they don't. They have had other BIOS'es in the past (diff companies).
m
l
!