Router + Modem + Ethernet switch

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi guys I have recently been having problems with the game Team Fortress 2 and I have found the router to be the culprit, I found this by connecting directly to the cable modem (a cisco 2100).

But the rest of my family need a wireless connection and I don't really have the money to buy a brand new router, so I have came up with an idea but I just need you guys to check it and make sure it will work before I buy anything.

Basically I will buy an 8 port ethernet switch http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-fs608uk-8-port-ethernet-switch-00739729-pdt.html from there

The setup will be as follows:
Cable modem>ethernet switch>Wireless router + my computer

So basically if you can't understand my diagram what I want to know is can I plug a cable modem into an ethernet switch, plug the router into the etherent switch to make the connection wireless for my family. But then have another cable from the etherent switch that goes to my computer so I can connect directly to the modem instead of using the router.

Fast responses would be appreciated as if it does work I need to buy the switch today.

Thanks.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I don't see why it wouldn't work, though with a switch you are giving up stuff like DHCP and NAT, so you would be a bit less secure and would also have to do more manual configuration. It seems odd that your game would suddenly drop off in performance when it had been working before; were you connecting wirelessly?

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
My problem was not being able to see all servers. My netgear wgr614v9 would only find 900 servers when it should find 4500. Also any time i clicked on a server it said "server not responding".
Also surely it would be the same amount of security? I would be using the wired connection straight from the modem. And the wireless would still be setup as it was before...

And i was using a wired connection before to my router not wireless. I also tried all the things that steam suggested like portforwarding so it has to be the router that is not very good.

Can you explain how i lose security please and what do you mean by manual configuration?

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Never mind I found out that you cannot connect a cable modem to more than one device. It must go through a router, so case closed.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
That makes sense. I still wrote this reply, so I'll post it. And keep playing; that's how your learn :)

What I meant by reduced security is that you are losing NAT and probably a built in firewall by going to a switch. The firewall is most likely not turned on in your current router, so that wouldn't matter (windows since XP has a built in one anyway). NAT (network address translation) takes the requests from all of the computers on the local network and translates them into a single internet facing IP address, so that it looks like all requests are coming from one device. This makes it so that attackers can't see individual computers behind the NAT enabled router and so have a harder time attacking them. Speaking for myself, I would still connect to the internet without a NAT enabled router, so I don't think that this is a killing consideration.

The other thing that you would loose is DHCP, which represents ease of configuration. A DHCP server automatically assigns an IP address to each client which connects to it, eliminating address collisions. You might still be able to plug and play with the switch (per your discovery, you couldn't when plugged directly into the modem); this is another area I have not played around with. If not, assigning a static IP address to your computer should solve the problem.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Thanks for the post mate, i'm sure it will be useful sometime in the near future :)
Also I was wondering if you could reccomend me a cheap wireless router that will work with a cisco 2100 cable modem (basically a router with an ethernet port for the connection-so i can plug an ethernet cable from the cisco 2100 modem into the router), team fortress 2 and all other pc games. If you could that would be great :)

Note: It needs to have about 3/4 ethernet ports and the wireless doesn't have to be great. I will only use the wireless for light surfing on a laptop so it doesn't have to be the best, I will use a wired connection for gaming.

It will connect all PC to the internet; nevertheless, you might still have to play around with the settings.

Otherwise you could assign you PC a static IP like 192.168.1.10 and use the DMZ settings.

Another idea is to go to the TF2 forum and see if anybody is recommending a certain router or is listing the setup for the router which worked for them.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I have trawled the team fortress 2 forums for too long looking for "the best" router to use and an "easy solution" for my problem and believe me I have tried all sorts with my current router (everything on steam support plus a lot more). So I guess i'll cross my fingers and grab myself the e1000 and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help ;)

If you end up using the DMZ settings, be aware that you will be outside the firewall of your router. It is the same as hooking up your PC directly to the modem. Anybody on the internet can see and will have access to your PC if you don't use a software firewall.

Themorg

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hey did you find a solution for this problem? I am having the exact same problem with a different game and can't seem to trouble shoot it....unfortunately I tried buying a new router and that actually didn't solve my problem. Every time I try to refresh a server list I get no results unless I go directly to modem.