Recovery for damage due to decryption interupt

Prateek6591

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I have an external hard disk Samsung 500Gb and I used my windows 7 Ultimate to encrypt it. It was working normally. I clicked decrypt once. But the by mistake the usb cable of hard disk was removed n the decryption process was automatically closed. But now windows no longer detects my hard disk and also i cannot open 'manage bitlocker' when drive is connected. It is whenever i remove it that bitlocker appears. The drive seems to be in use with bitlocker but cannot be accessed. Sometimes an icon witha a lock sign appears in my computer and also whenever i disconnect the hard disk, it is then that bitlocker asks for the password but disappears almost immediately as the drive has been disconnected. The safely remove icon appears whenever hard disk is connected till it is removed.
What do i do now to recover data? I don't want to format before backing up all the data and can i format the hard disk n use it again? Is the disk damaged???
Please help as data is very important.

You can't really do anything here. The drive is probably not damaged, but the data is scrambled because it's encrypted and got really corrupt when the decryption procedure failed.

You can try to take out the hard-drive from the case and install it directly into the PC as a second drive using a regular SATA cable, that will rule out the case or USB cord as an issue.

But chances are you won't be able to get to the data due to the failed decryption.

Encryption is like that, it's a strong way of protecting data but had other issues it creates due to the security of it.

Prateek6591

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
well.. i got a way but cant use that. Actualy i can fix this by using bit locker recovery tool which can be downloaded frm microsoft site but i need the recovery file or recovery key or 48 digit recovery password n all can be fixed by using cmd command prompt i guess but i missed the recovery file n password. i just remember the lock password which is diffrent from recovery password n of no use now. :(

Prateek6591

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
well.. i got my case partially solvd..
i was not having recovery file or recovery key or recovery password.
i just had unlock password so i wsnt able to recover through commands.
well.. i insertd my external hard disk to an windows Xp system n there i got an option to format whn i restartd that pc while hard disk was remained conected during restart. I easily formated my external hard disk. Well.. i ws not able to recover files. I tried many recovery tools but the file that wr present during encryption r not totaly visible..
Still.. Atleast i can use my hard disk again.. :)

Prateek6591

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
well.. i got my case partially solvd..
i was not having recovery file or recovery key or recovery password.
i just had unlock password so i wsnt able to recover through commands.
well.. i insertd my external hard disk to an windows Xp system n there i got an option to format whn i restartd that pc while hard disk was remained conected during restart. I easily formated my external hard disk. Well.. i ws not able to recover files. I tried many recovery tools but the file that wr present during encryption r not totaly visible..
Still.. Atleast i can use my hard disk again.. :)