zhineman

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hello all. I have a question regarding why only one USB out of 6 ports would be the only one to work. I have tried connecting a device in every one of the ports, and only one on the back of the PC will work. This is a desktop, homebuilt computer with 4 USB ports of the back and 2 in the front. Running Windows Vista Home Premium, with 4.00GB RAM, Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU @ 2.50GHz

For the front IO make sure that the case cable is installed on a USB header on the mobo.

Make sure to install the latest BIOS, also try reinstalling/updating the mobo drivers

USB slots work in pairs (2 physical ports share the same bandwidth and controller), so there should be 2 working ports that are right next to each other.

Check for any obvious physcal damage to the ports. Did you leave the device in long enough for Windows to pick it up? It can sometimes take 30+sec, especially with Vista on an older computer.

When was the last time the ports all worked? Was there any software that you installed between then and when you noticed things stopped working? If this is a computer you just purchased then it is possible that the previous owner got rid of it for this particular problem. Sucks that people do that, but they do.

Try installing a USB add-on card if nothing else works. This is an older (though still respectable and usable) machine. If it is exhibiting problems then I would suggest saving up for a new build or a core upgrade (mobo, CPU, RAM).

zhineman

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I looked into all these issues, and what doesn't make sense is that literally only ONE port works and it is directly next to two others. Also, the computer was made three years ago and had no previous owners. The ports were all working not more than three weeks ago, however before this there was a soundcard issue and powersupply issue that required both to be replaced. Furthermore I have looked inside and there is no obvious physical damage.

I am inexperienced in how to update a BIOS, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

zhineman

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Yes, unfortunately in the end I asked the couple to simply replace their computers and help them to set up their new ones. Thank you so much for your help!