Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD FX-4100 vs AMD a8-3870K vs Core i3 2100

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2012 4:12:05 PM

So I'm planning a build, but I'm having trouble deciding which CPU to go with. This is just going to be a budget gaming machine. I'm not doing anything else with the computer besides daily internet surfing, gaming, and light video editing for youtube videos I do sometimes.

2 factors that I consider the most: future proofing and overclockability (just for fun).

I would like to have fun with it and tweak/overclock my machine and that's the reason behind being iffy about getting the i3, even though it is head and shoulders above the other 2 choices, performance and power usage wise.

And the A8 not being upgradeable to the piledriver based version coming out later is what turns me off to the A8. With the i3 the mobo Id be getting says it supports Ivy Bridge chips when theyre released.

And then the FX just having weak performance compared to the other two (but still decent enough).

Any thoughts, ideas, criticism would be appreciated. I've already priced the 3 different builds and they all cost within ~$10 of each other, so I just wanna know what would be best for gaming and future upgradeability. If I choose the FX or the i3, its getting paired with a radeon HD6850 and then if I choose the A8, it's getting Crossfired with a 6670. (Although, please don't recommend any other CPUs because I have a very stiff budget and they are constrained to these 3 choices since they deliver the best bang for the buck that I can afford.)

a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 4:58:11 PM

I would grab a decent z68 or p67 board and that Core i3 2100. When IB comes out, you could upgrade to a core i5 and overclock that. The FX is not a good chip, even when OCed. When OCed, it still isn't good for single threaded-apps due to it's slow operations per clock. The A8 is a decent chip, but for gaming, stick with the Core i3.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 5:38:29 PM

This is all about if you have faith in AMD. If you don't believe in AMD coming out with good cpu in the future your obvious choice is to go with the i3, if you think AMD can fix bulldozer then the FX 4100 will give you more of what you need such as OC.

I'd say you don't need to look at the A3870 as it can't really be upgraded and it will be less powerful for gaming than the other 2. the 6670 cfx is only going to give you performance of a 6770 I think and thats only if the game is not dx 9.

Do you have access to other AMD CPUs? like the phenom II x4? it will give better performance than the FX4100 even when OC'ed and I think generally better than the i3 once you OC.

I'd choose the i3 over the FX 4100 tho.
Related resources
January 9, 2012 5:57:43 PM

I've considered the Phenom II x4 too, but I'm having trouble finding them since AMD discontinued them and the ones I do find I noticed the prices are inflated a little bit.
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 6:14:57 PM

esrever said:
This is all about if you have faith in AMD. If you don't believe in AMD coming out with good cpu in the future your obvious choice is to go with the i3, if you think AMD can fix bulldozer then the FX 4100 will give you more of what you need such as OC.

I'd say you don't need to look at the A3870 as it can't really be upgraded and it will be less powerful for gaming than the other 2. the 6670 cfx is only going to give you performance of a 6770 I think and thats only if the game is not dx 9.

Do you have access to other AMD CPUs? like the phenom II x4? it will give better performance than the FX4100 even when OC'ed and I think generally better than the i3 once you OC.

I'd choose the i3 over the FX 4100 tho.

Faith my butt only an AMD fanboy would try to pull that garbage. It has nothing to do with that it's about performance. In gaming the Icore processors beat out the Bulldozer in almost all games at 1920X1080. Even when Piledriver comes out it will most likely still be behind Intel. By the time Piledriver comes out Haswell will be just around the corner.
Stellato I would say get the I3. It's not the greatest of the Icore processors but it has upgradability. You can always upgrade to an I5 2500k Sandy Bridges or to Ivy Bridges once it is released.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 7:59:15 PM

It doesn't matter what cpu you have if you only have 1 video card. You could have a Athlon II or a 2600K, your going to get the same framerates.

Fanboy's are going to tell you that you need a 2500K, you don't unless your running multiple video cards.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:01:10 PM

Shure you can get more performance out of the 4100 if you OC it, but it's gonna be a room heater. The 3870k might be a better choice in that regard. Also, if you get a good Z68 board you can get a 2600k or something down the road when it's cheaper and OC it.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:04:28 PM

rds1220 said:
Faith my butt only an AMD fanboy would try to pull that garbage. It has nothing to do with that it's about performance. In gaming the Icore processors beat out the Bulldozer in almost all games at 1920X1080. Even when Piledriver comes out it will most likely still be behind Intel. By the time Piledriver comes out Haswell will be just around the corner.
Stellato I would say get the I3. It's not the greatest of the Icore processors but it has upgradability. You can always upgrade to an I5 2500k Sandy Bridges or to Ivy Bridges once it is released.
whos to say ivy will be good or haswell? and so on. you either are believing one thing or another so go and believe what you want. Whats with me asking if he has faith in a company? Im not telling him to have faith, Im just bringing it up to question if he wants the FX at all. If he has faith in AMD, he can go get the FX, if he does not then his upgrade path would be cut and thus it would not fulfill his requirement.

Good job calling me a fan boy for giving him advice to buy an i3. And also nice job jumping at people for giving out ideas that don't even have any relation to opinions. Having fun just being completely ignorant of everything?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:07:49 PM

esrever said:
whos to say ivy will be good or haswell? and so on. you either are believing one thing or another so go and believe what you want. Whats with me asking if he has faith in a company? Im not telling him to have faith, Im just bringing it up to question if he wants the FX at all. If he has faith in AMD, he can go get the FX, if he does not then his upgrade path would be cut and thus it would not fulfill his requirement.

Good job calling me a fan boy for giving him advice to buy an i3. And also nice job jumping at people for giving out ideas that don't even have any relation to opinions. Having fun just being completely ignorant of everything?

Yeah, and did you notice his motto? It is against AMD, and all of his replies are about how Intel is so great. I sense a fan boy, and it is him.
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:08:59 PM

Gigabyte makes some pretty good Z68 boards. I really like my Z68-UD4-B3 from Gigabyte. Problem is there doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there.
Score
January 9, 2012 8:12:51 PM

Yeah, I was planning on getting a Z68 board if I go with the i3.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:13:43 PM

stellato12 said:
Yeah, I was planning on getting a Z68 board if I go with the i3.

Good choice.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:17:08 PM

Ditto - way more good upgrade possibilities.
-Bruce
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:19:33 PM

esrever said:

Maybe it will be mabe it won't know one knows but the I3 still beats out the Bulldozers for gaming right now. As for the future even if Haswell isn't that great AMD will still be behind. They aren't going to jump ahead that fast in one or two generations of processors. Again I say the I3 because it's the better performer. What am I suppose to recommend? I would say PhenomII but they're being phased out so AMD has nothing that can compete. Don't like it go cry about it on an AMD forum.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:21:05 PM

rds1220 said:
Maybe it will be mabe it won't know one knows but the I3 still beats out the Bulldozers for gaming right now. As for the future even if Haswell isn't that great AMD will still be behind. They aren't going to jump ahead that fast in one or two generations of processors. Again I say the I3 because it's the better performer. What am I suppose to recommend? I would say PhenomII but they're being phased out so AMD has nothing that can compete. Don't like it go cry about it on an AMD forum.

You can still get a PII CPU. They are not hard to find.
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:28:17 PM

There is no point in getting a PhenomII everything about it is dead. It's a dead socket type. It's a dead line of processors, again everything about it is dead. Yea you can get it now but soon you won't. What happens if in a year or so your processor dies? What are you going to do they're discontinued and you might not be able to get a replacement. That means a new motherboard, new RAM and new CPU. The point is there is no upgrade path now it's dead.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:29:13 PM

rds1220 said:
you could have read my comment carefully, not called me a fan boy and stopped yourself from your own ignorance that blocks out everything as soon as you read the word AMD.

Also I don't go around crying on forums like some little intel fan boys like to do on this one.

Phenom IIs might be phrased out soon but you can still currently buy them, AMD+ motherboards aren't being phrased out as far as Ive read so it could still be a viable option.
Score
January 9, 2012 8:32:16 PM

geekapproved said:
It doesn't matter what cpu you have if you only have 1 video card. You could have a Athlon II or a 2600K, your going to get the same framerates.

Fanboy's are going to tell you that you need a 2500K, you don't unless your running multiple video cards.

Is that true? Why is that? Just curious. (about not mattering which CPU with 1 video card)
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:34:59 PM

esrever said:
you could have read my comment carefully, not called me a fan boy and stopped yourself from your own ignorance that blocks out everything as soon as you read the word AMD.

Also I don't go around crying on forums like some little intel fan boys like to do on this one.

Phenom IIs might be phrased out soon but you can still currently buy them, AMD+ motherboards aren't being phrased out as far as Ive read so it could still be a viable option.

I did read it and got tired of reading your garbage. Sure sounds like your crying to me...need a tissue?
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 8:47:20 PM

stellato12 said:
Is that true? Why is that? Just curious. (about not mattering which CPU with 1 video card)

Because the CPU is only a part of the bigger picture and the video card is one of the other major parts. You have to keep things balanced or you're going to get a bottleneck. If you have a high-end video card with a low end single core processor your CPU will cause a bottleneck. If you have a 5570 with something like an I7 your video card will be a bottleneck.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:48:46 PM

stellato12 said:

Somewhat. He is talking about bottlenecks. If you have a CPU that is slower than your GPU, it will hold back the GPUs performance. If you have a CPU that is really fast, faster than the GPU, than you may be able to add another GPU without the CPU still holding it back. Overall, a faster CPU is better. That only has to do with games, but my 2500k run much much faster than my AII X3 440 even in a single GPu set up.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:52:39 PM

rds1220 said:
There is no point in getting a PhenomII everything about it is dead. It's a dead socket type. It's a dead line of processors, again everything about it is dead. Yea you can get it now but soon you won't. What happens if in a year or so your processor dies? What are you going to do they're discontinued and you might not be able to get a replacement. That means a new motherboard, new RAM and new CPU. The point is there is no upgrade path now it's dead.

No, AMD would have to do something for your warranty. Maybe a new FX CPU, which isn't as good, but will suffice and can be OCed pretty well. Also, if your board dies, an AM3+ board can replace it. I am not saying buy an AMD chip.... I recommended the Intel, but if anyone on this thread is the fan boy, it is you. We are just tossing out options and so far, everyone has agreed on the i3 I believe. So you are making an argument from nothing. It is pointless and childish. Please, let's keep that thread at a mature level. :) 
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2012 9:03:19 PM

Exactly my point. They have to give you something and what are they going to give you, a Bulldozer. Why would I want a Bulldozer that's a worse choice, that's not an upgrade it's a down grade. That would be like Intel saying they can't replace my I5 so instead we'll give you a Pentium4 Prescott. I'm not a fanboy Im a realist and I see the Bulldozer for what it really is a slow hot power hog that can't compete with AMD processors let alone the Icore processors.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 9:07:14 PM

rds1220 said:
Exactly my point. They have to do something and what are they going to give you, a Bulldozer. Why would a want a Bulldozer that's s worse choice, that's not an upgrade it's a down grade. That would be like Intel saying they can't replace my I5 so instead we'll give you a Pentium4 Prescott. I'm not a fanboy Im a realist and I see the Bulldozer for what it really is a slow hot power hog that can't compete with AMD processors let alone the Icore processors.

Okay, first off, that is way over exaggerating..... i5 to P4? No. The FX CPUs do compete right with the PIIs when OCed. Just, you need to OC them further. The don't fall too far behind the either. They are not a good buy, but with decent cooling, you can get a good amount out of them.

@OP Get the Core i3 and upgrade to an IB core i5 later.
Score
January 9, 2012 11:27:00 PM

RDs, stop being an immature brat.

Anyways, if you absolutely can't wait for piledriver early q2, then get the i3 for right now.
Score
January 12, 2012 3:32:59 AM

bawchicawawa said:
RDs, stop being an immature brat.

Anyways, if you absolutely can't wait for piledriver early q2, then get the i3 for right now.

I'd agree with this.

If you are looking to buy today (or soon anyway) then take the best chip for the cash and today that is the i3 (or a cheap Phenom x4 if you can find one).

There's certainly potential coming in piledriver and there is a chance that waiting for it to be released will net you better value, but that's speculation as of today. If you wanna wait, then thats cool, ask the same question again in a few months. If not, that's equally understandable and you should buy what is the best chip today. New chips come out all the time and since most people upgrade much less frequently all you can do is make a decision on what is on the market today and what gives you best value.

In terms of future proofing, as long as you are on a modern board 1155 or AM3 then you aren't going to run into any problems anytime soon so don't worry about that.

Score
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
January 12, 2012 4:37:23 AM

AMD FX-4100 = Perform best for games, middle of the pack for video encoding. Potentially good overclocking up to 5.0GHz (two cores) or 4.6GHz (all cores). Up to 8.0GHz if you are crazy enough to do liquid helium cooling. Can be upgraded when Piledriver comes out.

Piledriver is expected to have a 10% performance increase. This will put Piledriver's performance at about the level of 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs... if the 10% performance boost can be obtained.

AMD A8-3870K = Middle of the pack for games, best video encoding performance. Potentially good overclocking, but not sure of the limits. There is no upgrade path. Llano APUs are socket FM1, but it's successor, Trinity, will be socket FM2. An upgrade means a new computer.

Core i3 2100 = Performance in games lags the other CPU/APU. It also lags in video encoding. It is a dual core CPU vs. quad core CPU/APU. There is limited overclocking potential; probably 300MHz - 400MHz at best and it also depends on the motherboard.

Upgrade potential is huge especially if you buy a P67 or Z68 motherboard. You can upgrade to the i5-2500k which is basically the king of all CPUs (APUs) for games and video encoding; even after Piledriver is released. Additionally, Ivy Bridge (3rd gen Core i3/i5/i7) is coming out this year (April ??) and will perform a little better than the current Sandy Bridge CPUs (I'm guessing 6%, others think 10%).

The main focus of Ivy Bridge is the introduction of USB 3.0 and PCI-e 3.0. Also the integrated graphics core will be the Intel HD 2500 on lower end models ands the Intel HD 4000 on the higher end models. Performance increase from the HD 3000 to the HD 4000 is expected to be about 60%... sounds impressive, but that is basically going from a IGP with the performance of the Radeon HD 5450 to a Radeon HD 5550.
Score
January 22, 2012 4:45:26 AM

Best answer selected by stellato12.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2012 6:11:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!