• Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Gigabyte
  • Memory
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 2:12:08 AM

Hello, i just got meself a gigabyte gtx 560 ti soc. When i play games like ROL or company of heroes the scrolling isn't that good. It's not going fluidly en sometimes it stutters and occasional the pc even crashes ! Before this card i had a GTX 465 and this card did the scrolling a lot better in my memory. Somebody any idea what the problem could be ? I have an i7 870 and 8 gig of memory.

More about : gtx 560 soc crashes overclocked

a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 2:30:01 AM

try updating the drivers first
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 6, 2011 4:52:13 AM

( I'm Dutch so maybe i make some stupid language mistakes, i'm not that good in technical English )
I did do that, i got the latest drivers, also for Bios, from the original gigabyte site and it seems to have fixed the kernel error and rebooting problem.
But i'm still a little disappointed by the performance of the card. During gameplay, when i move the screen around ( up / down and sideways ) it doesn't handle it smoothly, the picture stutters a little bit and i expected more from this card. I 've got the idea that my old card ( gtx 465 ) did do that better, but maybe thats just my bad memory. ( or maybe i overclocked it to much, it died after just one year in service . . . )
Also i noticed yesterday while playing Company of Heroes that when i lower the angle of view the fps drops from above 50 to something like 26 or less. It's probably just to much for the card and i am to demanding.
It shouldn't be a power problem i just bought a coolermaster GX 750W.
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 6, 2011 7:43:37 PM

Good it be that the problem with the lower framerates at a lower viewing angle is not due to the card but that the problem lays with the game itself or the cpu ? I noticed yesterday that when i lowered the viewing angle to the viewing point of an ant the framerate drops to a shamefull 17 but also the GPU usage is a lot less. When it's doing framerates of 50 the GPU use is about 80 % and when it only pushes 17 the usage is less then 40 %. Weird, you should think it would try to work harder to get a higher fps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2011 11:38:31 PM

Quote:
Good it be that the problem with the lower framerates at a lower viewing angle is not due to the card but that the problem lays with the game itself or the cpu ? I noticed yesterday that when i lowered the viewing angle to the viewing point of an ant the framerate drops to a shamefull 17 but also the GPU usage is a lot less. When it's doing framerates of 50 the GPU use is about 80 % and when it only pushes 17 the usage is less then 40 %. Weird, you should think it would try to work harder to get a higher fps.

What you are describing sounds like a bottleneck somewhere
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 6, 2011 11:50:12 PM

Quote:
What you are describing sounds like a bottleneck somewhere

Yeah, i've got the same idea. I think it's the game itself, when you lower the angle of view, the viewing range of the picture is a lot "bigger" with a lot of more things happening everywhere then when you look at the game from "above". I hope you understand what i mean by this, my English ain't that good that i can explain it better.
Or maybe the CPU it's "only" an i7 870, so.
I would like to know how the game is handeling from a "low view angle" on a really good game pc. Anyone knows the answer ? ( game is company of heroes )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 3:59:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah, i've got the same idea. I think it's the game itself, when you lower the angle of view, the viewing range of the picture is a lot "bigger" with a lot of more things happening everywhere then when you look at the game from "above". I hope you understand what i mean by this, my English ain't that good that i can explain it better.
Or maybe the CPU it's "only" an i7 870, so.
I would like to know how the game is handeling from a "low view angle" on a really good game pc. Anyone knows the answer ? ( game is company of heroes )

A 2.9 shouldn't bottleneck that gpu to the point to where you are having the issues you are having
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 4:02:28 AM

Quote:
A 2.9 shouldn't bottleneck that gpu to the point to where you are having the issues you are having

Sorry, probably stupid question ; but what do you mean by A 2.9 ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 4:16:47 AM

O wait, your talking about the frequency de i7 runs on i think. Sorry, it's late, my brain is a bit underpowered and slow i'm afraid, bloody nightshifts.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 12:35:27 PM

Because of the bad framerate i got on some games i tried to OC my gigabyte 560 ti soc. I only oc'd it from 950 to 1000 and the shaderclock from 1900 to 2000. It automaticly switches the power voltage ( it's between 1.04 idle to 1.15 when playing and amperes between 1.25 and 2.2 in games. OC guru even won't let me change the voltage for the core clock ; when i put it on manually i am not able to move the slider. Only thing i can chance is the memory voltage.
After playing for half an hour the card crashes, temp not going above 66C.
Anyone knows why ? Is this normal because it's allready a SOC or do i just have a bad card ( so much then for the GPU "cherry-picking" )
Or maybe it's beacause of my PSU ; it's an coolermaster GX 750.( 80+, single rail 60 A ) Not the most expansive PSU but it was tested ok on a site.
The rest of my system ; i7 870, 8GB, 1 HD, 1 Drive.
Hope somebody can help, after haviong a lot of problems with it in the beginning ( crashes, auto rebooting etc. ) and the dissapointing framerate i'm about ready to throw this . . . card out of the window and burn it ritually.
m
l
August 9, 2011 12:44:24 PM

use EVGA precision?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 1:21:02 PM

Nope, gigabyte OC Guru. EVGA is better ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 1:25:53 PM

I'm downloading it right now and will try that later on.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 11:15:11 PM

taha1112 said:
use EVGA precision?

That's weird ! With evga i can oc it without any problem. I just played for an hour and no worries mate. The weird thing is the temp also stays a lot lower. Even with the oc guru off it always reached temps of 66 or more and the fan would sound like an starting plane or something, now it's doing 58 max with a lot less noise, maybe half the revs or something ( ?!?!?!?!?!? )
What are those idiots from gigabyte doing. ( in the beginning i had a lot of trouble with the card due to the drivers it came with, they made the card crash and spontanious reboot all the time and i needed new ones, but only allowed to use the ones from gigabyte itself, standard nvidea drivers made it allready crash while installing them, and now it seems they also did a terrible job on the OC guru and standard settings (?). Thanks Gigabyte, i will certainly buy stuff from you again. ( maybe to harsh, but i read on other forums that a lot of people had the rebooting and crash problems, all due to the drivers and the voltage settings it seems.)
Can you explain the difference, especially the temp figures. Is it because oc guru ( even when is off then ) puts up the voltage to much ? ( 1.15 is pretty much i believe )
The games also run smoother, first when i "scrolled" over the battlefieldmap it didn't go very smooth ( it stutterd a bit ) now its doing it quite smoothly. And alltough it still could improve a bit to my liking, i'm much happier with it now then before. ( before i could kill it, now maybe, just maybe there's a little chance of romance ) :love: 
Why didn't somebody tell me that before, i allready had some threads about having dissapointing framerates but nobody thought of this then, so thumbs up for you Taha. :) 
It was a sound advice mate, thanks a lot for that, you really made my day ! ! ! I was ready to sell it for a hundred bucks or so ( bought it for 220 euro ) and buy an other card because i was completly fed up with it ( and even a bit depressed, really ) and nobody seemed to be able to help me with the problem.
I oc'd it now to 1000/2000, i will have a go at even higher rates, let's see what it's capable of. Fun, fun, fun, in the sun, sun, sun. I'm so happy now i'm whisteling "Singing in the rain" especially the part "i'm happy again, what a wonderfull feeling etc. :whistle: 
I'm so happy right now i could kiss you. :non:  ( good thing for you i live far away in Holland then )( crazy Dutchies . . . ) :pt1cable: 
I would like to have this thread stayed open for a bit longer to see if you or anyone else can explain this "mystery" but you allready earned the "best answer" thingie i guess.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 1:34:35 AM

Too bad ; it was a very short romance. Higher then 1000/2000 and i see strange black stripes and after playing two hours on 1000/2000 suddenly the temp got up to 68 and then the system crashed and rebooted. Think i'm gonne cry. So much for the cherry picking gauntlett nonsense, from a cherry i expect a lot more, this is more like a rotten banana. Hate Gigabyte :fou: 
AMD here i come, somebody wants to buy a stupid card ? Guess i try to send it back but i can hardly tell them then when i oc the card it crashes, so they probably won't take it back.
Anyway, still thanks for your reply.

@Mousemonkey ; sorry for that one word, someday i WILL learn how to behave on forums so i don't have to say sorry over and over again . . . ( probably when i'm around seventy or so, i'm a bit thickheaded sometimes )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 2:03:14 AM

GPUs are pretty hard to OC, especially factory-OCed models. You can't always expect to get big OCs.
I'd buy it, if you're sure. I'd be happy to go from a 460 to a stock-clocked 560 Ti. How much?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 2:55:26 AM

Do you mean overclocking past Gigabyte's OC, or past the Ti's stock clocks?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 12:24:11 PM

kajabla said:
Do you mean overclocking past Gigabyte's OC, or past the Ti's stock clocks?

I mean overclocking past the oc. stock is 950/1900 and just after a small oc ( 1000/2000 ) it crashes with strange sudden temperature rises.( after two hours of playing it's going in 5 minutes time from 58 to 68 and then creashes ) On factory oc sttings it runs worse then my old oc'd 465 so . . .
Anyway, i'm not completely ready yet to sell it, first i try sending it back and i don' t know where you live but if it's a long way from Holland i can sell it cheap but it will be expansive again because of the postage fee.
And why you wanna buy a rotten banana anyway ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 12:54:12 PM

That's not rotten at all! You can't really expect pre-OCed cards to handle more overclocking. If it was a stock card, I could understand if you were disappointed when it wouldn't OC, but this card has already been pushed, apparently, to its limit.
I'm in the USA. Oh damn, I just looked up shipping rates. Oh well, nvm.

Anyway, you should probably just be happy with your already-OCed card.
The situation that you're in now is as if your friend overclocked the card, and then when you took it and found that you couldn't OC it any further you decided it was junk because it seemed to be impossible to overclock.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 1:04:36 PM

kajabla said:
That's not rotten at all! You can't really expect pre-OCed cards to handle more overclocking. If it was a stock card, I could understand if you were disappointed when it wouldn't OC, but this card has already been pushed, apparently, to its limit.
I'm in the USA. Oh damn, I just looked up shipping rates. Oh well, nvm.

Anyway, you should probably just be happy with your already-OCed card.
The situation that you're in now is as if your friend overclocked the card, and then when you took it and found that you couldn't OC it any further you decided it was junk because it seemed to be impossible to overclock.

Ok, but why is this card doing worse then my previous card, a gtx465 ? It should be doing better so i really think it's a faulty card.
And the shipping rates ; i was afraid of that yeah. Maybe send it by a honing pigeon. ( or two probably, connected by a wire )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 1:14:09 PM

Shipping's $90. Forget that.
I'm sure it's not actually doing worse performance-wise (is it? That would be a problem). You can't compare different models easily by clocks alone.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 1:48:39 PM

kajabla said:
Shipping's $90. Forget that.
I'm sure it's not actually doing worse performance-wise (is it? That would be a problem). You can't compare different models easily by clocks alone.

The performance is really worse then the 465. With the same ( high ) settings it doesn't perform smoothly especially when i "scroll" over the battleview map. ( when i go up/down or sideways over the viewing map it stutters and hangs a bit and the 465 did that smoothly ) Even with the settings on average it isn't doing great. I only had the 560 perform close like the 465 when i oc'd to 1000/2000 but then it has the problem as mentioned above.
Therefore ; dissapointing or faulty card. ( i think faulty )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 2:30:24 PM

Vertical sync?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 2:52:44 PM

kajabla said:
Vertical sync?

Euh, i don't actually know, i'm not that a computer wiz. I know what it is and what it does but where i can switch it on or off ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 3:05:59 PM

I googled it, seems you have to switch it off in the game iitself then, not sure if i saw that option in Company of Heroes. Tonight i will try to find it and see what it does. ( i'm at work now )
Thanks anyway trying to help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 3:18:38 PM

It should be there. Most games with decent graphics options have it.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 3:38:44 PM

kajabla said:
It should be there. Most games with decent graphics options have it.

If it's there i'll find it. I will let you know later on.
I've got an other to this topic related question though : before, with the GTX 465 i did something stupid.( stupid is my middle name ) ( i'm Dutch, sue me ! ) I connected the HDMI monitor with the "DVI out" on the 465. ( really daft, i know ) It worked but i wonder now if that killed the 465 after just one year. Is that possible ? Now i have connected the new card the right way with the "hdmi out" on the card, can that explain the dissapointing results, is DVI better than HDMI or does it make no difference ? ( maybe i'm asking a very stupid thing now but when you're quite as desperate as i am you start to think about crazy things to explain it all )
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 10, 2011 4:43:08 PM

DVI and HDMI have exactly the same video quality and format. The only difference is that HDMI includes audio as well. The method of connection shouldn't affect the health of the card, anyway.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 4:49:33 PM

kajabla said:
DVI and HDMI have exactly the same video quality and format. The only difference is that HDMI includes audio as well. The method of connection shouldn't affect the health of the card, anyway.

Yeah, thought it wouldn't. Thanks for your answer, i was wondering about those issues for a couple of weeks now.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 9:07:59 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • GTX 560 TI SOC
    m
    l
    a c 104 U Graphics card
    August 13, 2011 10:31:55 PM

Mousemonkey said:
    This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • GTX 560 TI SOC

• Thanks, it was going nowhere.
    m
    l
    a c 104 U Graphics card
    August 13, 2011 11:01:35 PM

Oh only just saw that you put two topics together, my bad. Didn't know what "merged" meant , thought it was a reply for deleting the other thread, that one was going nowhere, on these two i had pretty much reactions then and some were good information anyway.
    Thank y'all for that !
    m
    l
    a c 104 U Graphics card
    August 13, 2011 11:06:30 PM

Best answer selected by robjordy.
    m
    l
    a c 104 U Graphics card
    August 13, 2011 11:18:05 PM

kajabla said:

By the way ; i didn't give that answer the award because it solved the problem but any other answer did. ( altough they were good info ) I gave it because it answered a question i had for a couple of weeks ; that i may have killed the 465 myself.
    m
    l
    !