Sign in with
Your question

P5N32

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2012 4:28:03 PM

Hello,
I have an Asus P5N32 M/B and an E6700 2.66 GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB CPU. Looking at the asus upograde site it is hard to know what is better other than a rare as anything E6800 core2 extreme. Can anyone suggest something that this board will take that is better than what I have please?

More about : p5n32

January 9, 2012 4:53:37 PM

You say a Q6600? Thats a 2.40 ghz but my current processor is 2.66ghz.

Thanks for the reply but I cant see that your suggestion is an inprovement. Please enlighten me.

Related resources
a c 88 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 9, 2012 11:50:55 PM

arctree said:
You say a Q6600? Thats a 2.40 ghz but my current processor is 2.66ghz.

Thanks for the reply but I cant see that your suggestion is an inprovement. Please enlighten me.

the q6600 is a quad core, you have a dual core.
January 10, 2012 7:30:01 AM

This is where my understanding peters out...

So I have a dual core and FSB of 1066. The Q6600 is quad core and 1333 (I think) does FSB matter? Without getting into a lengthy discussion on the technicalitys it would be really good to know what was the best processor (in terms of bang-for-buck) I could use from the list at asus for the p5n32 sli deluxe. Is the Q6600 2.4ghz it? Why cant I see this processor in the `compatible list` at Asus processor list for this M/B.
January 10, 2012 8:10:54 AM

I hunted around and found a thread that relates to the P5N32 Premium that will run the quad core but apparently not entirely. I have copied the bones of it and take no glory for this info wich goes to original poster `Badge`.

This bit relates to the P5N32 Premium M/B
<<<<<< Copy /Paste>>>>>
"Looks like the MB has no support for C2Q's. ASUS rarely issues a ver. 2 with hardware upgrades of previously released MB's like Gigabyte does for example. What a 'soft' BIOS update will not support in the way of new hardware (CPU's), ASUS issues new MB models. Apparently, the P5N32-SLI has a chipset limitation or a voltage shortage to support C2Q's. If you have a problem with ASUS updates and support of their MB's, be prepared for a frustrating experience with other distributors.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport [...] =P5N32-SLI Premium&product=1&os=25

EDIT. CPU support link will not work. C2Q's are not supported by any BIOS release ASUS has issued for the MB. The product is likely out of warranty and surther support by now. "
<<<<<<end of copy/paste>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So it would seem that my P5N32 SLI Deluxe is indeed a POS and I had better get another M/B.

Unless anyones got a better idea?
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 3:13:21 AM

Yes, FSB DOES matter, A LOT. The Q6600 is a 1066 FSB, like the proc. you have BUT, for programs that utilize multiple cores/threads, it is a major step up. If that doesn't compute, then look into the higher Q6XXX series chips. The rest (for the most part) are 1333MHz FSB and work quite well, but they DO cost a bit more so, weigh your options carefully.

I ran across that article too. The only way you will know for sure is to try it. I would bet my money that it will, just be sure you have updated you BIOS prior to swaping chips That board is not crap but, if you've made up your mind to scrap it already that's fine. Should have looked at that information BEFORE posting here and wasting my time. I'm gonna bow out now and hand it to more patient members. Hope I helped.
January 12, 2012 6:42:59 AM

puttsy said:
Yes, FSB DOES matter, A LOT. The Q6600 is a 1066 FSB, like the proc. you have BUT, for programs that utilize multiple cores/threads, it is a major step up. If that doesn't compute, then look into the higher Q6XXX series chips. The rest (for the most part) are 1333MHz FSB and work quite well, but they DO cost a bit more so, weigh your options carefully.

I ran across that article too. The only way you will know for sure is to try it. I would bet my money that it will, just be sure you have updated you BIOS prior to swaping chips That board is not crap but, if you've made up your mind to scrap it already that's fine. Should have looked at that information BEFORE posting here and wasting my time. I'm gonna bow out now and hand it to more patient members. Hope I helped.

Like many things I hoped there was a quick answer without delving into it to much. I am sorry if you feel your time was wasted because I dont. I gleaned plenty from your post which spurred me on. I also havent decided to ditch the board as it is very stable but will look at the chip your pointing at.

I note that you said you would `bet your money it will`. Does this mean your going to buy me the chip? Hope it isnt to expensive for you.

Thanks for your input Putsy et-al.

January 12, 2012 6:45:44 AM

The only other thing (for now) about the Q6600 is the cache. Mine is 4meg and thats L2 8meg. Would this matter?
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 6:59:06 AM

you'd notice not much difference between your cpu and a q6600.

the board puttsy linked isn't the same board it seems as the E at the end makes it support more cpus. I have no idea but on asus's website it has 3 bios updates that supports more cpus but no additional info is given on which ones. The E6700 isn't even on the support list.

The cache isn't so important as it just has more cause the quad core cpu has 2x the cores and 2x the cache but same amount of cache per core so theres nothing different.

I think you should be fine with a dual core 6XXX cpu. but you can never be sure.
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 10:24:26 PM

I can't say I'd pay for it for you but, if I had that board, I'd buy a quad for it to see if it works. My apologies for being short, glad you did actually find it useful, many people just get a lot of input from people and, in the end, just go about it their own darn way anyway...very frustrating.

Let us know what you decide. And, what are all the specs of the board, including the revision? Sometimes that can make the difference. And is it, indeed, just the P5N32 or is there more to the model?
January 13, 2012 7:43:23 AM

Unfortunately I can't go buying quads to see if they work. Knowing my luck it wouldn`t and I would break something else in the process.

I have included a dump from Core Temp program. The only other bit is that I just put another cooler on and its running at 43c which is down from 56c with the stock intel cooler.

Any observations/comments received with interest.

The model is P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe

Bios 0901 (latest)

---------------------------------------------------
Core Temp version 1.0 - 32bit

Number of processors: 1
Number of cores: 2
Number of threads: 2

Processor information:

Processor 0
Package 0
Cores: 2 (Max 2)
Threads: 2 (Max 2)
Processor model: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (Conroe)
Processor name string: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
Platform: LGA 775 (Socket T) (PlatformID: 0x0)
Processor signature: 0x6F6
Processor revision: B2
Process node: 65 nm

Processor speed: 2672.33MHz (267.23 x 10.0)
Bus speed: 1068.93MHz
Bus ratio: x4
Default speed: 2667.00MHz
Multiplier range: x6.0 - x10.0
Maximum voltage: 1.3250V
Instruction set: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
Feature set: VT, EIST, HT
L1 data cache: 2 x 32 KiB, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size - 1 thread(s)
L1 unified cache: 2 x 32 KiB, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size - 1 thread(s)
L2 cache: 4 MiB, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size - 2 thread(s)
January 13, 2012 7:52:30 AM

And not included above we have:

Multiplier x FSB 10.0 x 267.3 MHz

Dunno if it can be improved.
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2012 5:03:32 AM

I've got an e6750 running at 3.20 stable; multiplier is 400 x 8, G0 stepping, and temps are ~45c at 1.408 V.

The e6750 has a 1333 FSB and amazing headroom. It may not hurt to try and snag one for cheap and see how much of an improvement in your tasks. It's leaps and bounds above my e6600 and helps A LOT with some minor gaming and browsing compared to a Q6600. For Adobe stuff, CAD, etc...Obviously the Q6600 does much, MUCH better but, for general use, I take the e6750 over the Q6600.

July 4, 2012 12:03:57 AM

puttsy said:
I can't say I'd pay for it for you but, if I had that board, I'd buy a quad for it to see if it works. My apologies for being short, glad you did actually find it useful, many people just get a lot of input from people and, in the end, just go about it their own darn way anyway...very frustrating.

Let us know what you decide. And, what are all the specs of the board, including the revision? Sometimes that can make the difference. And is it, indeed, just the P5N32 or is there more to the model?

I have been testing an ASUS P5N32 - SLI SE DELUXE with a q6600 processor and it ran everything I tried. Install windows 7 pro. It gets a error when updating the processor but the bios can be set to ignore it.

Give it a try, you can buy a q6600 on ebay for less than $100 and resell it, if it does not work with very little loss.

!