Ssd not recognized at all

frenchscot

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi there,
I read The forum since a will but its my first post here :)
Usualy I manage to find solutions at my problems but this time, well I'm lost. :??:

I just bought a SSD drive 90GB Corsair ForceSeries with Sata3 to remplace a classic hard drive with windows on it.
And my motherboard is a MSI P55-CD53.

I checked to see if it was compatible and it should be, but the fact is, the SSD is not recognized at all, not by windows 7, and not in the BIOS eather.

I swithche the Sata slots of cours, to see if it wasn't that kind of silly problems.. no.
I unpluged all the drives and tried to install windows on it like a brand news computer, still not recognized...
I updated the BIOS firmware, nothing.

I just recieved the ssd today, and I hope its something I forgot to check and not have to send it back to the customer service :(

David256

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Check the motherboard specs again - looks like it has SATAII support, but not SATAIII. Yep, you'll have to get a new motherboard or a SATA2 HDD.

frenchscot

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
But I read that all the motherboards in sataII would work with sata3 drives, but losing a bit of performance. It would work like a sataII drive at the end.
Was it wrong ?

frenchscot

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
@mcnumpty23 > I checked the cables, and swithed theme to check it with an other drive, it worked.

@davcon > what do you call AHCI ? and Mobo ?
Sorry I'm quite new with BIOS stuff :??:

shoda

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

AHCI stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface. It is helps the SSD to perform better if you install Windows after enabling AHCI. It does not matter if you changed the settings to AHCI or not for the SSD to be recognized. For me, I installed my SSD in IDE mode on accident and it was still recognized, then did another fresh install after changing settings to AHCI, so what I am guessing, is that it cannot be that.

And you are right, SATA3 drives are compatible with SATA2 controllers, they'll just not perform to their full potential.

AHCI mode install is required if you ever plan on updating your ssd's firmware = which is often updated
Mobo = motherboard

frenchscot

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks, I'll look that :)

Sounds like maybe a faulty SSD, as long as you have the SATA cable and power going to it it should at the very least show up in BIOS. I guess try messing with the SATA settings in your BIOS (IDE/ACHI/RAID, etc) and see if anything works. If not it might be a dead driver, I guess.

I'd definitely recommend you have a look in your motherboard's user manual and see if there's anything you/we might be overlooking.