Your question

Ssd not recognized at all

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 9, 2012 4:43:30 PM

Hi there,
I read The forum since a will but its my first post here :) 
Usualy I manage to find solutions at my problems but this time, well I'm lost. :??: 

I just bought a SSD drive 90GB Corsair ForceSeries with Sata3 to remplace a classic hard drive with windows on it.
And my motherboard is a MSI P55-CD53.

I checked to see if it was compatible and it should be, but the fact is, the SSD is not recognized at all, not by windows 7, and not in the BIOS eather.

I swithche the Sata slots of cours, to see if it wasn't that kind of silly problems.. no.
I unpluged all the drives and tried to install windows on it like a brand news computer, still not recognized...
I updated the BIOS firmware, nothing.

I just recieved the ssd today, and I hope its something I forgot to check and not have to send it back to the customer service :( 

More about : ssd recognized

January 9, 2012 4:51:30 PM

Check the motherboard specs again - looks like it has SATAII support, but not SATAIII. Yep, you'll have to get a new motherboard or a SATA2 HDD.
January 9, 2012 4:59:41 PM

But I read that all the motherboards in sataII would work with sata3 drives, but losing a bit of performance. It would work like a sataII drive at the end.
Was it wrong ?
Related resources
January 9, 2012 5:04:34 PM

it should work on a sata 2 board--just not at full speed

check the power and sata cable are properly connected

January 9, 2012 5:07:31 PM

Have you enabled AHCI mode and updated the appropriate Sata drivers for your mobo?
January 9, 2012 5:13:05 PM

@mcnumpty23 > I checked the cables, and swithed theme to check it with an other drive, it worked.

@davcon > what do you call AHCI ? and Mobo ?
Sorry I'm quite new with BIOS stuff :??: 
January 9, 2012 5:46:51 PM

frenchscot said:
@mcnumpty23 > I checked the cables, and swithed theme to check it with an other drive, it worked.

AHCI stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface. It is helps the SSD to perform better if you install Windows after enabling AHCI. It does not matter if you changed the settings to AHCI or not for the SSD to be recognized. For me, I installed my SSD in IDE mode on accident and it was still recognized, then did another fresh install after changing settings to AHCI, so what I am guessing, is that it cannot be that.

And you are right, SATA3 drives are compatible with SATA2 controllers, they'll just not perform to their full potential.
January 9, 2012 10:59:09 PM

frenchscot said:

AHCI mode install is required if you ever plan on updating your ssd's firmware = which is often updated
Mobo = motherboard
January 9, 2012 11:09:47 PM

davcon said:
AHCI mode install is required if you ever plan on updating your ssd's firmware = which is often updated
Mobo = motherboard

Thanks, I'll look that :) 
January 10, 2012 8:24:45 PM

So I switched to AHCI on windows and on the Motherboard BIOS, rebooter twice but still no SSD recognised.

I fond the drivers here : http://eu.msi.com/product/mb/P55-CD53.html#/?div=Driver...
But I'm a bit lost with with all the list here. (Some of theme require a usb floppy drive ?!)

Which one should I take ?
Sorry I realise that at the end I'm really a noob about all this :??: 
January 10, 2012 9:15:53 PM

What do you mean by it's not recognized? Is it recognized as a HDD but not an SSD? Or does it not get recognized whatsoever?
January 10, 2012 10:08:04 PM

The SSD is plugged on the computer, but Invisible for the bios and windows, like if it didn't exist.
January 11, 2012 2:24:06 AM

Sounds like maybe a faulty SSD, as long as you have the SATA cable and power going to it it should at the very least show up in BIOS. I guess try messing with the SATA settings in your BIOS (IDE/ACHI/RAID, etc) and see if anything works. If not it might be a dead driver, I guess.

I'd definitely recommend you have a look in your motherboard's user manual and see if there's anything you/we might be overlooking.
!