Which memory to max out P8P67 DELUXE

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Spec: P8P67 DELUXE, Core i7 2600K(overclocked 4.5ghz), hd6950 etc.

current memory: G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (DDR3-1600 CL9 4GB×2)

Hi, I am looking for suitable memory to max out my p8p67 memory capacity. (preferably at current memory speed)

Basically I thought 8gb would be pretty much bullet proof back when I brought this PC but maya, Aftereffects, and vmware doesn't agree otherwise.

Ideas?

And how safe is it to mix size and timing?
Should I ditch my current stick?

SharperZeroCool

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
i had memories with different sizes and timings before, had no problem. would suggest to you if possible to get the same memory you currently have, if not possible try to get the most similar as possible.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Thankyou for your response, now I have 3 candidate

G.Skill F3-1600C9Q-32GXM (DDR3-1600 CL9 8GB×4)
G.Skill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL(DDR3-1600 CL10 8GB×4)
G.Skill F3-1600C10Q-32GAO (DDR3-1600 CL10 8GB×4)

Still don't know what's the difference between these 3 models.
My bios version is 2103.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

Probably any of those kits will work. Just take the time to verify.
The first is more expensive because it is cas 9 which is marginally faster.
But, not enough so you would notice(1%?)
Of the other two, the last is low profile which is good. It will clear any cpu coolers.

And, as a reminder, to access >16gb, you will need windows 7 pro or ultimate.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
So it was not listed on asus QVL but verified on vendor support site http://www.gskill.com/japan/products.php?index=423

Should I trust mobo QVL over the vendor's? What do you think.

edit: I think I will have to ditch the current stick anyway for max ram, so instead I will probably get 8bg X4 kit.

The vendor web site will usually be more up to date, and I would trust them. If in the unlikely event that you have some issue, you want support from somebody. The QVL list is just a list of the ram that the motherboard was initially tested with.
No way can a motherboard vendor test all ram.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Thanks for your prompt reply!

Asus actually update their QVL every now and then but the list is so short, containing only 2 8gb module I doubt they test everything out there.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
So the list narrows down to

1, G.Skill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL(DDR3-1600 CL10 8GB×4)
2, G.Skill F3-1600C10Q-32GAO (DDR3-1600 CL10 8GB×4)

upon further research i found out that aside from small timing difference no. 2 heat spreader is a bit shorter.

Any comment or suggestion are still welcome :love: .