Computer won't restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

twizlex

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Guys I'm at a loss. I'm totally beat and have no idea what is wrong.

I've been to numerous forums and have yet to find anyone with the same problem. Maybe I'm not using the right terms or don't know what to look for so if this has already been fixed I apologize.

My computer will not restart. If any program requires a restart, after updating and the like, or if I restart it myself the computer gets stuck. My monitor reads no signal and goes to sleep, and the computer keeps humming. I have replaced the motherboard, and the graphics cards. The only way I can get the computer to start up again is to force a shut down by holding the button. I have wiped the HD and reinstalled windows on my SSD and I still had the problem. I feel that the issue is worsening. I'm now trying to reinstall windows 7 and it keeps trying to restart, running into the aforementioned problem and failing to continue. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

My components are

AMD 955 x4
Crosshair formula IV
G.skill 1600, 8GB RAM
XFX 6870 (x2) crossfired
Wester Digital 600 GB HD
Antec 1000w PSU (continuous power or something)

twizlex

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks a lot guys I have tried all of the above except for the PSU swap. I was actually dreading that it might be the PSU and I don't have an extra one to swap out. Is there any way I can test if there is a problem with my current one? Again, thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

The "Paper clip test" for PSUs does not test it under load. All that it will tell you is if it is good or bad.

There is a "Water Loading" test for electrical equipment, but that is beyond the scope of this Forum. Also other tests for loading the PSU using variable resistances.

That's why you need to install a different PSU and check the computer.

twizlex

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Crap. I guess I'll have to get a new PSU. The only things that have remained constant with each build are the PSU, RAM, and CPU. I have used different RAM but to no avail. Given my specs can anyone recommend a suitable PSU? I'm looking at the Corsair Professional Series HX750 750w. Is this a good amount? Thanks for the help and I will definitely report back on the results if anyone is interested.

Lutfij

Titan
a couple of post above , OP mentions that the PC doesn't restart rather gets "hung up" this could mean that the rig has BSOD'd, something i experienced a while ago on two of my pals builds...only dif was that the rig wouldn't shutdown, it'd constantly reboot even after a shutdown command via cmd(and diagnostic tools)

might want to check the voltages on your board. AUTO doesn't mean default, it might mean higher or lower voltages.

but look into the PSU before you move ahead with my advise.

* Edit; 1000watts on that antec is plenty for any rig to swallow and for it to turn up faulty.... your problem isn't in the PSU - me thinks.

The Corsair HX-750 as well as the HX-850 are great Modular PSUs.

twizlex

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Problem solved! I took out one pair of G.skill and tried each pair separately. The second pair had the problem! I don't know how I missed this. Thanks for bearing with me on this guys. I guess it's time for that RAM upgrade I've been avoiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.