Quadro 600 vs GTX460 1 Gb

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Good afternoon, fellas

I'm willing to build a workstation and the GPU choice got my head hurting. Looking at (brazilian) price tags we can see that the GTX460 1Gb and the Quadro 600 are in the same range, but their specs are immensely different. The GTX runs over the Quadro in every spec you look at.

Problem is, as you may know, people say the GeForce line sucks for workstations so the 460 could be a pretty waste of money here. I work primarily with Autocad 2010/12, some photogrammetry software that require the Nvidia 3d kit (so ATIs are out of option) and in a short future 3Dsmax, Solidworks and Catia.

I can save up for some months and buy cards up to the Quadro 2000, but I really don't want to spend all that gold on a single card and instead buy the 3d kit.

Oh, and the rest of my rig if you're curious:

Intel i7 2600k (which I'll OC to some 4.5Ghz)
Asus P8Z68 Pro (which allows me to save up on that GPU for a while if needed)
8Gb Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz
Corsair 650HX

Thanks!

Prowess

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

A Quadro is the way to go for any pro work. Your wireframes will be more complete, your lighting will render much better, and your workflow rendering will be faster and more accurate. I would go with quadro.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks guys for the answers. After reading plenty of user feedback, I came to the conclusion that the Quadros are a waste of money. I'll save up and get a GTX 560 Ti for my build.