ATA-100 Problem

G

Having problems getting bios to see my hdd when its connected to one of the ata-100 ports. I have the following.

Asus A7V
T-bird 1000
Ibm Deskstar 60gig HDD

When I go into bios and try to autodetect my drive it doesnt find it when its connected to the ata-100 port. But when I connect my drive to a normal ide connecter it detects it fine. Its strange too because the part during boot when the ultra detection starts, it sees the drive fine. But its pointless because bios wont see it. Everything is plugged in right, am using a 80 pin cable, I installed the ata-100 drivers for windows, etc.

Does anybody else have a A7V and a IBM HDD and had similar problems? How did you solve it?

G

The BIOS won't see it when it's plugged into the ATA-100 controller. It has its own separate BIOS, whose settings can't be changed.

---
Dave Farquhar
author, <i>Optimizing Windows for Games, Graphics and Multimedia</i> (O'Reilly)
<A HREF="http://thesiliconunderground.editthispage.com" target="_new">http://thesiliconunderground.editthispage.com</A>

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have the ATA100 enabled in the boot part of the bios?
And the other ATA100 setting should be set to auto.
If you had another drive on the 66 IDE port before, you may have disabled the ATA100 to speed up boot time.

G

That was the problem :) I didnt have it set in the boot menu. I was still using ide hdd. Plus I did not know that ATA-100 detects the drive by itself without normal bios.
But lucky me a new problem has risen up after getting my ATA-100 support going :) After installing the promise drivers I rebooted and for some reason WINDOWS "bios can see them fine" cant see my cdrom drives unless I have dma unchecked in the properties window :( Anybody know whats up with that?

G

I think a lot of people (not everyone) will find problems running ATAPI drives even though they have an IDE interface on integrated or add-on controllers. I rarely if ever got one to work sufficiently of them. They will run fine off the mb IDE controllers with DMA enabled for drives capable for DMA.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

murrcat67

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm having a similar problem with my cd-rom. I don't know why it's occurring, but--which properties wdw were you in to uncheck dma?

Thanks