install win xp on my USB flash drive...

When I tried to install win xp on my USB flash drive, it
could recognize the partion (NTFS format) which is on the
USB flash drive but when I press enter to choose the
partition to put win xp on it comes up with the following
error message:

NOTE:
·My computers first boot devise is the USB flash disk.
·USB boot enabled
·USB flash drive is NTFS formatted

"Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the
disk containing the partition or free space you chose.
Setup cannot install windows XP on this hard disk.

This lack of access doesn't necessarily indicate an error
condition.
For example, disk attached to a SCSI adaptor that wasn't
installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary
hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the
startup program unless special software is used. Contact
your computer manufacturer for more information.

On x86 - based computers, this massage may indicate a
problem with the COMS drive type settings.
See your disk controller documentation for more
information."

Do I need to install a third party driver from a floppy
disk to make the USB flash drive bootable by pressing F6
while the win xp CD is loading? If so where could I
download one from?
4 answers Last reply
More about install flash drive

    Philip Lucas wrote:
    > When I tried to install win xp on my USB flash drive, it
    > could recognize the partion (NTFS format) which is on the
    > USB flash drive but when I press enter to choose the
    > partition to put win xp on it comes up with the following
    > error message:
    >
    > NOTE:
    > ·My computers first boot devise is the USB flash disk.
    > ·USB boot enabled
    > ·USB flash drive is NTFS formatted
    >
    > "Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the
    > disk containing the partition or free space you chose.
    > Setup cannot install windows XP on this hard disk.
    >
    > This lack of access doesn't necessarily indicate an error
    > condition.
    > For example, disk attached to a SCSI adaptor that wasn't
    > installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary
    > hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the
    > startup program unless special software is used. Contact
    > your computer manufacturer for more information.
    >
    > On x86 - based computers, this massage may indicate a
    > problem with the COMS drive type settings.
    > See your disk controller documentation for more
    > information."
    >
    > Do I need to install a third party driver from a floppy
    > disk to make the USB flash drive bootable by pressing F6
    > while the win xp CD is loading? If so where could I
    > download one from?

    I do not believe you can install Windows XP on a removable USB device.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    warranties of any
    >kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before
    you take any
    >advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
    actions.

    >.
    Thanks Shenan, i think your right i just read an earticle
    ( http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577a5684-
    8a83-43ae-9272-ff260a9c20e2/usb-boot.exe )which said:
    "... Current versions of Windows should not be installed
    to USB hard disk drives because Windows does not support
    USB hard disk drives as the primary boot device..." :(

    Just for the sake of playing around, why don't you try to 'paste' an image
    of an already installed barebone XP on the USB flash drive?
    Let us know what you get. I remember seeing ad ad on the web for a PC with
    no HDD and only 8GB PCI RAM disks - about $6000. The trick is to have/write
    the drivers, might work around for USB.

    Have fun, and don't take "no" for an answer.

    Michael

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Philip Lucas wrote:
    >> When I tried to install win xp on my USB flash drive, it
    >> could recognize the partion (NTFS format) which is on the
    >> USB flash drive but when I press enter to choose the
    >> partition to put win xp on it comes up with the following
    >> error message:
    >>
    >> NOTE:
    >> ·My computers first boot devise is the USB flash disk.
    >> ·USB boot enabled
    >> ·USB flash drive is NTFS formatted
    >>
    >> "Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the
    >> disk containing the partition or free space you chose.
    >> Setup cannot install windows XP on this hard disk.
    >>
    >> This lack of access doesn't necessarily indicate an error
    >> condition.
    >> For example, disk attached to a SCSI adaptor that wasn't
    >> installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary
    >> hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the
    >> startup program unless special software is used. Contact
    >> your computer manufacturer for more information.
    >>
    >> On x86 - based computers, this massage may indicate a
    >> problem with the COMS drive type settings.
    >> See your disk controller documentation for more
    >> information."
    >>
    >> Do I need to install a third party driver from a floppy
    >> disk to make the USB flash drive bootable by pressing F6
    >> while the win xp CD is loading? If so where could I
    >> download one from?
    >
    > I do not believe you can install Windows XP on a removable USB device.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Shenan is correct. A Windows OS *must* be installed on a fixed disk - i.e. a
    hard drive.

Configuration Windows XP USB Flash