Bets MOBO for i7 3930K for RENDERING

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Im planning to buy rampage 4 and 3930K too, and i really need some professional help, REALLY NEED

My main goal of this rig to make fast renders with 3D max and V-Ray, i also work with many Adobe software.

I definitely will be overcloking CPU as hard as i can (i know about overcloking just that it makes PCU run faster and make it hotter :pt1cable: )

Im planning to add water cooling little bit later (I don't have enough money for it right now)

I'm planing to use vcard like GF QUADRO 4000 or something simillar (as i find quadro is best for stability and a LOT of polys in scene). MAYBE, just MAYBE i will add second video card later (dont know if it will give more performents for 3D renders and 3D viewport). Defenetly no more than 2 video cards.

Ram, I want to have 64GB (much as possible).

Can someone who is smarter than me in PC rigs can say if rampage 4 is not overkill for what im planning to do? If so than what MOBO u recommend for me? What rams do i buy to get maximum performance if my MOBO is rampage 4? I'm planning to open my own small business so i really apreashiate professional advice..
Also would be great that u recommend PSU.

Case i will make my self (at least I can do one thing good )

P. S. im not a gamer, i almost do not play any games, and if i play- that game is old like CnC3 or Half life2

Thanx for help

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Main reason why i ask is if rampage 4 isn't overkill to me cos it's very expensive and i'm going to use only 2 video cards (probably even just 1).

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I was considering ASUS P9X79 PRO, but I really, REALLY hat that Asus blue color. I know its sounds really stupid, believe me i know, but I hate blue color really bad :D I will pay match more just to have modo without that ugly blue :) (my case will be seetrue.

What is main difference between ASUS P9X79 PRO and Rampage 4?
And what is main difference between ASUS Sabertooth X79 and Rampage 4?

Can i overclock it easily? I would like to keep my 3930K 4.5 Gh all the time (with proper cooling ofcourse).

:lol: no problem if you hate blue you hate it that's all there is to it as for the difference between those motherboards i am not 100 % sure but of course there are differences you have to check Asus site and look up each motherboard i suppose.

Frankly if this is 'Final Product' work then I don't recommend mixing consumer products with Pro products.

I'd look at an equivalent 6-core E5 or better an 8-core E5, Super Micro X9SRA, RDIMM 4x or 8x M393B1K70DH0-CK0.

I us my ASUS X79 for SQL testing & coding, and yeah some gaming, but I'd never consider using it for anything where I was making money. For that Xeon/RDIMM/etc.

My personal home rig is based off the Sabertooth X79 and I've built many gaming rigs using the R4E (RIVE). Both are very good MOBO's, also for 'your' use I'd also consider the ASUS P9X79 WS. The 'advantage' to the Sabertooth X79 is for high OC's without MOBO water cooling, and or hard chipset use; both the VRM & Chipset are fan cooled (active cooling).

Most folks choose the R4E (RIVE) for extreme gaming than anything else, and also know the BIOS options are very complex (e.g. LN2 and overly robust and complex options).

Again, the issue is 'errors' and non-ECC will produce some errors; some errors are benign while others can cause the system to drop out or the project rendering to fail -- i.e. lost time = lost money.

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I can understand that all these mobos is for gaming, not for 3D work. For now i will stay between Sabertooth X79 and Rampage4. I know that this is silly but i like very match how rampage looks (red/black) :D Don't judge me, im not pro at it as u dudes :D If i have money I buy Rampage, if not - Sabertooth.

I also now started to look in to xeons, i find 2 Xeon x5647 (4 cores each) for 250 Eur. But supermickro mobo for these two xeons will cost same as Rampage 4. What do u think? Should i go for xeons? I know they are bit old...

FYI the Xeon X5647 is LGA 1366, and not LGA 2011. As far as a color theme, okay.

The Sabertooth X79 isn't bad looking either, but I don't look up my Workstation or Server's skirt either. My sole concern is completion of work for 'work' computers.

ASUS Sabertooth X79 (home not necessarily for work):
Davids-Computer-Office.jpg

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Beautiful machine, it would be plenty for me to work with. For now i worked with my 4 years ACER ASPIRE 6930G (2 x 2.2 Ghz, 4 GB ram, 512 GF). It was plenty to me aswell, but i already replaced my CPU fan (rendering=heat). Im looking better rendering performans and better cooling. i7 3930k, 32Gb or 64Gb or ram, GF Quadro 4000 will be plenty for me for next 3-4 years. I was told that more ram (like 64GB) will make me more trouble than help with performance, is it true?

P.S. i know that xeons have older socket, I was looking in supermicro double CPU mobos, these mobos cost like rampage 4. Is it worth it to buy that xeons and make double xeon workstation?

32GB vs 64GB all depends on your project size; so more the merrier. You can also use a RAM Drive to speed things up a bit, I do and with SQL it's multiple times faster; see - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/CDM-RamDisk-Plus-48GHz.jpg

The problem and the reason I'm using DDR3L (1.35v) and in 4GB vs 8GB per stick density is because in non-ECC (hint) the chances for errors is much higher. A couple kits like the following should be fine:

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v) Desktop Memory Model 994069 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226338

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (11-11-11-27 @ 1.35v ; DDR3L) Desktop Memory Model 994072 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226329