Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard posts to boot devices and stops

Last response: in Motherboards
November 4, 2012 12:40:02 PM

Hello Techies

New build, keyboard not recognized. continuous red light from boot device on mobo. Mobo is ASUS m5a99fx pro 2.0

Specs of computer ( all new components )

. ASUS Motherboard M5A99FX Pro R2.0
. AMD FX 8150 8 core CPU
. Cooler Master 700w Extreme Power Plus
. WD Caviar 2TB SATA HD
. MSI Geforce GTX 650 1gb onboard mem
. 2x Kingston 4gb ddr3 ram 1.65 volts
. LG Modisk optical drive

I'm getting the basic VGA settings to give me the splash screen on the monitor, and it says hit delete button to enter BIOS.
I get one short beep from computer and the red led light from the Boot Device stays lit.
Keyboard is powered up by lighting the numlock light, but no other input is accepted from keyboard.
I've tried an old HP keyboard with serial port and a newer GE keyboard wired with a USB connection.
But to no avail no response.
I've tried resetting the CMOS
Tried booting with no cables attached ( even SATA cables to drives)
Need someones expertise!!
November 10, 2012 2:04:29 PM

I am having the same issue, have you been able to fix it?
m
l
November 10, 2012 6:43:30 PM

No, I went through basically every trouble shooting item and still red light at boot devices. One beep does not detect ps keyboard or USB keyboard. So now way to get into the bios.
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 10, 2012 6:44:58 PM

He solved it by updating the BIOS (using Flashback). Have you tried it?
m
l
November 10, 2012 6:58:24 PM

Thanks for getting back to this before me alexoiu, I just finished setting my computer up. Make sure you have the USB in the USB drive that says Bios Flash in green on the motherboard. I had it in the one next to it and it would not work.
m
l
November 11, 2012 1:09:44 PM

alexoiu said:
He solved it by updating the BIOS (using Flashback). Have you tried it?

No, should I download latest bios flash from asus?
m
l
November 11, 2012 1:11:56 PM

goldenhavoc said:
Thanks for getting back to this before me alexoiu, I just finished setting my computer up. Make sure you have the USB in the USB drive that says Bios Flash in green on the motherboard. I had it in the one next to it and it would not work.

Jay have computer running and insert flash drive into green USB and push flash button?
m
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 4:18:34 PM

Jaran1984 said:
No, should I download latest bios flash from asus?

Yes, download the lastest BIOS from the ASUS site, unzip, rename it as M5A99FX.CAP, and save it on a FAT formatted USB stick. Insert the stick in the USB port that supports Flashback (check the manual if not sure which one) and press the Flashback button (bottom of the motherboard) for 3 seconds.
m
l
November 11, 2012 6:37:33 PM

Ok downloaded latest BIOS and renamed it to the appropriate name. Re-formatted the USB thumb drive to a FAT32 system, Inserted it in green usb port and booted up computer to the point of lag at boot devices led continuous light. Pushed the flash button for three seconds and nothing happened. No led for flash, no keyboard response. Also tried power on with flash button pushed and nothing also. HELP!
m
l

Best solution

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 6:46:12 PM

You don't have to start the board, the PSU has to be connected and ON. Then I can't see a green USB port at the back of the board in the board's picture. The USB port for Flashback is the bottom one, near the Audio jacks. I assume you have the manual Check it and see what USB port has to be used.
November 11, 2012 6:56:42 PM

Ok, I'll try that Alexoiu! Thanks for helping me!!! Funny how the manual says nothing about just what you said in the previous post.
m
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 7:01:18 PM

Check at page 2-13, Chapter 2.2.1, USB BIOS Flashback.
m
l
November 11, 2012 7:49:06 PM

alexoiu said:
Check at page 2-13, Chapter 2.2.1, USB BIOS Flashback.

Ok, Hallelujah!!! Finally worked and I'm setting computer up. Thank you so much for your help!! Even the ASUS guys didn't have a clue
m
l
November 11, 2012 7:49:44 PM

Best answer selected by Jaran1984.
m
l
!