GeForce 570 vs. Radeon HD 6970

Dan2013

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I'm doing my first build, and I'm stuck between these two options:

Nvidia GeForce 570
Radeon HD 6970

I plan to set up sli/crossfire in the future. Also, I might use a multi-monitor setup for gaming. I don't know for sure yet though.

Here is the rest of my build:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
Intel Core i5-2500k (I plan to OC)
G. Skill Ripjaws 2 x 4GB
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Upgrade to SSD in the future)

If you have any suggestions on the graphics cards or the rest of my build, please post them. Thanks for any help in advance.

The 570 is the better performer in 90% of most games when using a single monitor(the 6970 sometimes makes up ground at very high res), and is sometimes available for as little as $289 at Newegg....

Edit: if planning on 3 monitor gaming, I'd consider a pair of 6950s, which offer near 6990 levels of performance for about $500....

As geofelt said, they are comparable for performance, but there is a couple differences, depending on what direction you may go.

The 570 has much better support for 3D gaming.

Both have support for 3 monitors, but the Nvidia cards require an SLI setup to use 3 monitors, this gives the 6970 a big advantage if you weren't planning to upgrade your graphics card at the same time. Also, when it comes to very large resolutions, the extra memory will help out, which 3 monitors create a very large resolution.