Sign in with
Your question

P8Z77-V Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
November 4, 2012 1:31:36 PM

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to a new i7 system. Only the CPU, motherboard and RAM are new.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-V
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
ASUS GTX 560 Ti DCII
1TB Seagate + 1TB Samsung + 250GB Seagate HDDs
Corsair CX600 v2

I've had the system up for not even a week yet and it's far from perfect. The first day I had received the components I put them in straight away, doing as advised, following all instructions. From day one I've had problems with the system not booting. For those who don't know much about this board, it has different LEDs over the board which can show where problems are present. I usually get problems where either the VGA LED (most common), RAM LED or CPU LED (least common) show. The SATA 6GB/s LED does show, but disappears shortly after and does not concern me at all. When either of the VGA, RAM or CPU LEDs are showing, the system refuses to post. Initially I was using two sticks of Kingston RAM which is designed to run at 1.65v before I forked out again for 1.5v RAM.

I've done all sorts of stuff. I've:

• Reseated the RAM (temporary remedy)
  • Tried two different RAM kits
  • Reseated the CPU
  • Reseated the GPU
  • Cleared the CMOS (temporary remedy)
  • Reset the BIOS (temporary remedy)
  • Checked all the cables
  • Updated the BIOS
  • Manually entered the RAM timings and settings

I've marked some of the above as "temporary remedy" as they usually help boot the system after a few tries.

I do realise that none of the RAM kits I had tried are on the QVL list, but nonetheless the 1.5v Corsair kit should work. I have tested the motherboard outside the case and the same problems still occurred. I have also tested without a GPU in the PCI-E slot and the VGA light still shows.

It would be really appreciated if I could have some advice. I'm not sure what I should do next and whether or not to RMA the motherboard. Is there a chance it could be something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
  • More about : p8z77 issues

a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 4, 2012 2:33:50 PM

So far the only common element is the MOBO. Need a little more info:

Q - What BIOS version is installed? ; you can use CPU-z and look at the 'Mainboard' tab ; I recommend v1616 using ASUS EZ Flash 2
    Q - What HSF? ; stock or aftermarket? ; some with metal back plates can cause grounding shorts with sporadic behavior
    Q - What Case? ; some cases do not have standard standoffs and instead have 'punch-out' types (edit/ all standoff's must be aligned with MOBO screw holes i.e. not poked into the MOBO) which can cause grounding shorts with sporadic behavior
    Q - What OS and is this a clean install?
    Q - Device Manager, are there any unknown Devices listed marked with {? or !}?

RAM:
    Use the 'Blue' DIMM slots only

BIOS:
    Press F5 ; Load Optimized Defaults
    AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP / Profile 1
    Press F10 ; Save & Exit = 'Yes'
    Anonymous
    November 4, 2012 2:40:11 PM

BIOS ver: 1616
    Cooler: Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic Series
    Devices are all installed

I've tried the RAM in all the possible slots.

I've also used the XMP Profile which caused a blue screen in non paged area or something.

I used to have a P5Q Deluxe with a Q6600 in this case and it ran fine for 2 years or so.
    Related resources
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 4, 2012 3:36:58 PM

This is the only 'right' way:
    Quote:
    RAM:
    Use the 'Blue' DIMM slots only

BIOS:
    Press F5 ; Load Optimized Defaults
    AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP / Profile 1
    Press F10 ; Save & Exit = 'Yes'

Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2 - http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F
    Verify proper installation video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKWh24l5-tQ

NZXT Gamma Classic Series - http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/gamma
    Appears to use brass (conventional) standoff's and I assume none of them are protruding into the ATX MOBO i.e. none are improperly installed using the e.g. mATX only screw holes in the case.

Next, I 'assume' you were monitoring the temps and none of them are too high e.g. CPU temps. If you removed the HSF then you must scrape-off (coffee filter/paper towel), clean HSF/CPU surfaces (Isopropyl alcohol & blow off dust), and apply new TIM (Thermal Paste).

If you upgraded the BIOS from its original version then in many instances it's a good idea to re-flash then BIOS, but if it the v1616 is OEM then leave it alone. When you flash the BIOS with ASUS EZ Flash 2:
    1. Run Memtest to validate RAM for 4-passes ; it's good practice to validate the RAM before installing the OS and/or BIOS. Memtest - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso ; create a bootable CD/DVD/Flash Drive.
    2. BIOS prepartaion - prior to upgrading the BIOS boot into the BIOS F5 (Load Optimized Defaults), F10 Save and reboot then flash using ASUS EZ Flash 2.

--

So that all said, first run Memtest and validate your RAM. If there's any errors, one is too many, stop the test otherwise let Memtest run for 4 Full Passes.

Further, I do not recommend ASUS AI Suite II or any BIOS invasive application and especially not if you are having any issues. Those type applications modify the BIOS and if used or especially stopped while Auto OC'ing will enter 'bad' BIOS settings and can create a problem. So for now uninstall.

Drivers, the DVD that shipped with the MOBO 9.9/10 has older drivers than the latest available at ASUS. I recommend the you download and install all of the latest drivers for your OS; link - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...
    * Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.3.0.1019
    * Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2712
    * Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V17.2.0.0
    * Intel USB 3.0 Driver V 1.0.5.235
    * Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.14.3.0
    * ASUS Wi-Fi Engine V1.01.03 ; I've seen issues with this software on any version
    * ASUS Wireless Network Driver V9.2.0.502
    * Intel Rapid Start Technology Software V2.1.0.1002
    * Intel Smart Connect Technology Software V2.1.1347.0
    * Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V1.3.4.0

Next, download AIDA64 Extreme - http://www.aida64.com/downloads and select all options as indicated below. For the first 10 minutes keep a careful eye on the temperatures. If the temps are running too high then either the TIM or mounting is faulty. Normal stress testing for stock is 24-48 hours, 48 for Workstations. Overclock is used 24/7 24 hours, to a minimum overnight 8-10 hours.

Anonymous
    November 4, 2012 9:33:26 PM

@ jaquith

I've ran Memtest for almost 4 hours (3 passes) and no errors so I'm pretty convinced this is not the problem. I've re-flashed the BIOS using ASUS EZ Flash 2. I've also installed the latest drivers and applied the XMP profile. I'm pretty sure that for now everything is fine and I will continue to test things to see if it pans out okay.

Thanks for the help. I'll see if it solves the problem.
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 4, 2012 10:15:41 PM

Please keep me updated and good luck!
    Anonymous
    November 5, 2012 11:11:34 AM

Nope, it's still not working. I've done most of what you've said. I've tried the stock cooler and it hasn't made any difference. I've probably done all what is possible, I may have been unfortunate to get a faulty board. I have noticed that after the computer has been running for a while it will post if restarted. If the computer has been turned off for a few hours the problem will begin again. I'll probably RMA the board.
    a c 559 V Motherboard
    November 5, 2012 11:26:18 AM

Sorry for interfering. If you have a spare power supply, connect it and test. It might be a power issue.
    The board and the CPU support onboard graphics. Do all tests without the discrete graphics card installed.
    The issue might be related also to a faulty installation of the CPU (bent pins - check with a magnifying glass or overtightened CPU heatsink).
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 5, 2012 12:40:08 PM

I would agree to rule-out the PSU. About the only way to know for sure is to try a spare PSU. Otherwise if all of the Critical errors listed in the Event Manager are 41/63 then it's some form of hardware. CPU's tend to work or they don't, most of the time. Event Manager; see - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Event...

A simple way to observe PSU behavior is to unplug the PSU for 10 minutes then plug it back in and observe. I've had a bad 'good' PSU (HX850) so it does happen.
    Anonymous
    November 5, 2012 1:05:12 PM

jaquith said:
    I would agree to rule-out the PSU. About the only way to know for sure is to try a spare PSU. Otherwise if all of the Critical errors listed in the Event Manager are 41/63 then it's some form of hardware. CPU's tend to work or they don't, most of the time. Event Manager; see - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Event...

A simple way to observe PSU behavior is to unplug the PSU for 10 minutes then plug it back in and observe. I've had a bad 'good' PSU (HX850) so it does happen.

I've already tried a different PSU and it did the same thing. My current PSU (Corsair CX600 v2) is making whining noises but it worked fine with the less power efficient Q6600 system. I've tried with and without the GPU and it make absolutely not difference. I seriously don't think I can rule-out out anything more, it has to be the motherboard (yet there is a small chance it could be something other).
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 5, 2012 7:14:39 PM

Last thing is a full minimal breadboard before RMA, also if the purchase date is beyond the return limits of your retailer then or in either case arrange a cross or expedited exchange. Example - I've a bad mouse cause post failures.
    Anonymous
    November 5, 2012 7:22:44 PM

I'm still able to RMA it and that's what I'm going to do, I've not had it very long. They will test it and take action from then on. I really do hope there is a problem with it otherwise I will feel like such an idiot.
    Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 8:58:04 AM

It's been through the RMA process; nothing at all was found to be wrong with it. I'm still having issues with it so I will need to nail down the problem. It could be the CPU causing issues. It could be the RAM (but I see this as a very unlikely problem as I've tried two different kits). Really it can't be much else. Other hardware (HDDs, Optical drive, GPU and PSU) worked fine with the older system. I noticed that when I put the motherboard back into the case and wired it up it caused the PSU to whine (which did not occur with older system).

I've updated to the latest BIOS (1708) in an attempt to solve the issues I'm having but I don't think it will cut it. I'll see how it goes.
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 18, 2012 1:00:38 PM

Again, Breadboard. Minimal configuration, (1) stick in the 2nd DIMM slot, no headers - short the PWR/GND to start, only use the Intel SATA ports, nothing connected to any USB.

I've seen a bad mouse cause a post failure.
    Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 2:10:49 PM

jaquith said:
    Again, Breadboard. Minimal configuration, (1) stick in the 2nd DIMM slot, no headers - short the PWR/GND to start, only use the Intel SATA ports, nothing connected to any USB.

I've seen a bad mouse cause a post failure.

I'll try this if the BIOS update fails to fix the issue. I've done a similar minimal configuration before while outside the case except I had two RAM sticks installed and a USB mouse and keyboard connected. The problem is that once the computer is powered on for a few minutes the issue is less likely to occur; once it's up and going there is no problems at all unless powered down for up to an hour if not more.
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 18, 2012 2:25:11 PM

Just throwing it out there, if you have animals in your home (e.g. a cat) look for teeth marks on your cables. Often LED issues are due to some form of shorting/grounding or a bad PSU/connection. If you only have a GPU LED then yeah sure the GPU, but that apparently was not the case.
    Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 2:37:39 PM

I've had this issue since day one. I did notice that the PSU started whining with this motherboard (which previously did not with my older system). Mostly (I'd say 9/10 times) it's the VGA LED which shows with or without card installed.
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 18, 2012 2:47:46 PM

Normal is to have all of the LED lights go on and off during the post process. However, if the LED stays 'ON' then you've got a problem or at least the MOBO 'thinks' so.

/edit-it's Sunday and I'm going off line for a couple-few hours, I'm going to play CoD. However. I'll check-in and see if you made any progress.
    Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 3:02:31 PM

jaquith said:
    Normal is to have all of the LED lights go on and off during the post process. However, if the LED stays 'ON' then you've got a problem or at least the MOBO 'thinks' so.

/edit-it's Sunday and I'm going off line for a couple-few hours, I'm going to play CoD. However. I'll check-in and see if you made any progress.

I do realise it's normal for the LEDs to flash during the process, but the ones I talk of stay on. I normally have to use MEMOK at least twice in order to get the PC to boot unless it's been on recently.

Also, don't devote all your time to me. :p  I'll HOPEFULLY get this sorted someday.
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 18, 2012 7:40:13 PM

Anonymous said:
    Also, don't devote all your time to me. :p  I'll HOPEFULLY get this sorted someday.

I pop in and out of the forum so it's no big deal, and CoD, the new one, just came out so ... that's my current game of choice but after an hour or so it gets old.

I assume you're installing the RAM in the Blue DIMM slots and the RAM is properly seated and the locks on the top are fully snapped-in. Otherwise the chance of two had sticks is v-e-r-y small... I assume you're following what I posted before. It might be worth your time to burrow a PSU from a different PC to rule-out the PSU.
    Anonymous
    November 20, 2012 3:36:52 PM

Well, somehow I have manged to get it working properly now. I'm not sure what did it, but ever since updating to BIOS version 1708 it's been fine. I'll monitor it and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I'll be sure to come back and moan. ;) 
    a c 717 V Motherboard
    November 20, 2012 5:51:06 PM

Cool! :sol: 
    Anonymous
    November 23, 2012 9:05:24 PM

From one problem to the next.

Ever since putting the system back together the CPU temps have been fluctuating like crazy sometimes. It usually occurs most when first booted and after a few hours of easy to moderate usage.

Temps during boot seem to rapidly change from about 11 Celsius to 22 Celsius in a split second, sometimes even more rapid changes. I noticed today that after a few hours use the temps hit 121 Celsius.

Now I will confirm that these temps were measured in HWiNFO64, but I seen very similar temperatures in the ASUS AI Suite. I haven't really tried SpeedFan much so I can't say what the temps are from there. Meanwhile in the BIOS I haven't noticed any problems, yet I haven't really monitored it much from there.

I haven't re-seated the CPU yet but I can confirm that the otherwise everything is fitted correctly. Thermal paste is sufficient enough on the chip so I can rule-out this being the problem ... I'd hope.

Edit:

I'm guessing it could probably be the latest BIOS causing this issue but I also think it happened in the previous revision too. I'm going to run Prime 95 for a while to see if it causes the temps to fluctuate.
    Anonymous
    November 23, 2012 10:09:41 PM

Okay I ran Prime 95 for a short amount of time, about fifty minutes and did not notice any fluctuating. I did notice that the temps on SpeedFan and HWiNFO64 were somewhat 4-10 Celsius apart.

According to HWiNFO64:

Min Max (in Celsius)
    Core #0 18 59
    Core #1 30 70
    Core #2 22 65
    Core #3 31 65
    Core Max 31 70

Motherboard: 23 24
    CPU: 16 49
    !