Anyone know where to buy broken PSU's?

AlexJamesNewbie

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I consider my self a bit of a tinkerer and fancy my hand at fixing PSU's myself. I have fixed a 500w bequiet! and a 600w corsair builder series today. I only think its worth doing if the PSUs are worth something new and so would be worth something selling on on ebay but does anyone know where i can get faulty branded psu's??

Thanks in advance.

Hi :)

I own some Computer shops and we throw away old PSU`S but I would NOT sell them to anyone apart from a qualifiied electrician.... the reason is, if you are trying to fix a PSU and get it wrong ...YOU DIE or get a very serious electric shock.... :(

All the best Brett :)

honestly... i dont want to tell him coz i dont want to buy a psu that has been fixed by a tinker... i certainly dont want to buy 1 mistakely and put it in my new 1000 setup...

not only is it potentially hazardous to my pc but to him also... if you want to learn how to fix stuff like that go to collage and do engineering, at least that way your doing it under supervision and in a safe environment. add to that the parts will get broken up to be used by the next student not palmed off onto some unsuspecting buyer... really m8 do you want to be responsible for blowing some1s system up or worse still setting fire to there house, killing there gran and kids while they sleep...

no m8 selling them on is not something you want to be doing.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I agree with HEXiT. I think this is an exceedingly bad idea. PSU's aren't something you want to be messing around with, and you don't want the kind of liability that selling something that is potentially dangerous on ebay.

I have 45 years of professional electronics maintenance experience - mostly military radar, computer, and commo equipment. I would try to repair a PSU for myself, but there is no way that I would fix one for sale or even free for a friend. I simply do not need the liability.

And the whole Corsair Builer series is new enough that it is all still under factory warranty.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

I agree with hexit and bret. dont be foolish to repair psus. It is highly forbiddable act to ametures. :D :D :D

AlexJamesNewbie

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for all your replies and sorry i didnt get back to you earlier. I hear everything you say and have decided never to touch psu's ever again. this decision was also influenced by a large explosion and fusing of my house due to a cap i inserted backwards into a evo labs psu. i fixed 6 psu's, sold 5 and binned 2. I call this a good run while it lasted as i havent had anyone say a bad word yet and people are singing praise on ebay. I am sort of regretting selling them now after reading your advice as i feel it could come back to haunt me later. But thanks for your advice. And i promise never to touch a PSU ever again...

Cheers guys.