Plugged into generator via a surge protector pop and smoked

lanadunk

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
DURING A BLACK OUT I plugged the computer, router, and screen into generator (800 watts) via a surge protector heard a pop and saw smoke. After power was restored I used a much better surge protector strip and plugged in computer, router, and screen then plugged into wall, all power blew. Will the hard drive work in another computer?

Solution
Often generators have "dirty power" that is fine for industrial uses, but not good for fine electronics, especially cheap and low powered units. A good UPS is needed often to smooth it out.

The power here has occasional issue that a basic UPS can handle, but when testing the generator we needed a much better UPS preventing problems.

edit: by "dirty power" I mean wide swings in voltage and hz, among other more technical issues.

But yeah, I would guess your harddrive is fine, probably just replace your PSU.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Often generators have "dirty power" that is fine for industrial uses, but not good for fine electronics, especially cheap and low powered units. A good UPS is needed often to smooth it out.

The power here has occasional issue that a basic UPS can handle, but when testing the generator we needed a much better UPS preventing problems.

edit: by "dirty power" I mean wide swings in voltage and hz, among other more technical issues.

But yeah, I would guess your harddrive is fine, probably just replace your PSU.

Solution

surge_85

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Surge strips are useless on a generator. Surge strips need a grounded receptacle to operate. There is no Ground on the generator to divert the surge to. They typically fail like yours did. Some one already commented that a generator produces dirty power. I would never recommend that any one plug sensitive devices like a computer into a generator. They are intended to run essentials.

lanadunk

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Thank you- that's exactly what it was and my computer is up & running and didn't hurt the hard drive.