Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Plugged into generator via a surge protector pop and smoked

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 4, 2012 3:36:11 PM

DURING A BLACK OUT I plugged the computer, router, and screen into generator (800 watts) via a surge protector heard a pop and saw smoke. After power was restored I used a much better surge protector strip and plugged in computer, router, and screen then plugged into wall, all power blew. Will the hard drive work in another computer?
a c 146 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 2:18:06 AM

Did someone drop a paperclip into your PSU or what? There is every possibility that the hard drive is unaffected. The only way to say for sure is to try it.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 2:26:44 AM
Share

Often generators have "dirty power" that is fine for industrial uses, but not good for fine electronics, especially cheap and low powered units. A good UPS is needed often to smooth it out.

The power here has occasional issue that a basic UPS can handle, but when testing the generator we needed a much better UPS preventing problems.

edit: by "dirty power" I mean wide swings in voltage and hz, among other more technical issues.

But yeah, I would guess your harddrive is fine, probably just replace your PSU.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 2:38:26 AM

^ +1

also make sure the total power draw not exceed the power strip / ups / cable rating....
November 5, 2012 11:45:27 AM

lanadunk said:
DURING A BLACK OUT I plugged the computer, router, and screen into generator (800 watts) via a surge protector heard a pop and saw smoke. After power was restored I used a much better surge protector strip and plugged in computer, router, and screen then plugged into wall, all power blew. Will the hard drive work in another computer?


Surge strips are useless on a generator. Surge strips need a grounded receptacle to operate. There is no Ground on the generator to divert the surge to. They typically fail like yours did. Some one already commented that a generator produces dirty power. I would never recommend that any one plug sensitive devices like a computer into a generator. They are intended to run essentials.
November 15, 2012 4:13:46 AM

abbadon_34 said:
Often generators have "dirty power" that is fine for industrial uses, but not good for fine electronics, especially cheap and low powered units. A good UPS is needed often to smooth it out.

The power here has occasional issue that a basic UPS can handle, but when testing the generator we needed a much better UPS preventing problems.

edit: by "dirty power" I mean wide swings in voltage and hz, among other more technical issues.

But yeah, I would guess your harddrive is fine, probably just replace your PSU.



Thank you- that's exactly what it was and my computer is up & running and didn't hurt the hard drive.
November 15, 2012 4:14:31 AM

Best answer selected by lanadunk.
!